Very compact office PC

MoVo

Budget (including currency): 450€ (exkl. Windows 10)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: The PC is mainly used for office work with the standard apps like Word, PowerPoint as well as some specialized applications.

Other details:

The PC is a replacement for an old notebook. My friend bough a notebook because he thought he might could need it otherwise. However, the notebook did not leave the room once, so we figured a desktop system would be a better replacement, especially when it comes to price/performance.

Since the PC is located in a space with costumers, the PC should be as compact as possible in order to hide it relatively easy (or make the setup look clean)

My main issue is regarding the case. I figured, a CPU with integrated grapics should be enough for the kind of workload and should last long enough. So I was searching for micro-ATX cases, but all of them were still quite big since they all had enough space to fit a medium to large sized dedicated GPU inside. Do you have any recommendations for a very small for factor case (thats preferably relatively easy to build in) that doesn't break the budget?

I appreciate your suggestions!

From my understanding pretty much every case is going to offer GPU support, because motherboards offer it.

Any MicroATX case should be completely fine. I've never gone into a business and been upset because their computer was too big, nevermind it being a SFF build that was too big.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

If you're looking to go very compact, I'd suggest going mini-ITX rather than micro-ATX. There are a few mini-ITX cases that don't include GPU space, and are basically only enough room for the motherboard (and maybe a PSU, though to go very compact you might need to go with a pico-PSU and external power brick). The downside is that it'll cost more.

But as @Statik said, as long is it's not blocking sightlines between your friend and their customers, it'll probably be fine, as long as your friend is ok with the size.

19 minutes ago, MoVo said:

Just get a NUC type of thing, there's some AM4 options in them as well.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

I would recommend a DeskMini A300. I built one for my dad a year ago or so with a 2200G, and it's a pretty solid little thing. It won't fit the stock cooler, so you'll have to get a lower profile cooler. I ended up going for a Noctua L9A. Stick a NVME SSD like a Sabrent Rocket inside, and it'll be a good office PC.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]

19 minutes ago, fordy_rounds said:

If you're looking to go very compact, I'd suggest going mini-ITX rather than micro-ATX. There are a few mini-ITX cases that don't include GPU space, and are basically only enough room for the motherboard (and maybe a PSU, though to go very compact you might need to go with a pico-PSU and external power brick). The downside is that it'll cost more.

But as @Statik said, as long is it's not blocking sightlines between your friend and their customers, it'll probably be fine, as long as your friend is ok with the size.

It doesn't need as compact to not be able to house a PSU. The main concern is just that the PC shouldn't be too big to be able to fit on a relatively small desk. So they were looking into a very compact system, that I'm trying to deliver.

At first we were looking into just using a thin client, but they're too limited in their resources to be a good pc, so thats not really an option. Another alternative are compact PCs like HP Prodesk, but they are pretty expensive, so I thought about self-building. I know that its quite challenging if not impossible to buy standard parts as small as a ProDesk, but I want to get it as close as possible in order to make the prices more comparable. It can be a little bit bigger, but it also should be quite a bit cheaper.

20 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just get a NUC type of thing, there's some AM4 options in them as well.

NUCs are not really an option, they are just too expensive with comparable specs.

17 minutes ago, iBabySlapper said:

I would recommend a DeskMini A300. I built one for my dad a year ago or so with a 2200G, and it's a pretty solid little thing. It won't fit the stock cooler, so you'll have to get a lower profile cooler. I ended up going for a Noctua L9A. Stick a NVME SSD like a Sabrent Rocket inside, and it'll be a good office PC.

that seems like a really interesting option. Do I understand correctly that this is a Case + Motherboard combination? The only problem is that it is only available with an A300 chipset which doesn't support 3rd Gen Ryzen iirc?

2 minutes ago, MoVo said:

It doesn't need as compact to not be able to house a PSU. The main concern is just that the PC shouldn't be too big to be able to fit on a relatively small desk. So they were looking into a very compact system, that I'm trying to deliver.

At first we were looking into just using a thin client, but they're too limited in their resources to be a good pc, so thats not really an option. Another alternative are compact PCs like HP Prodesk, but they are pretty expensive, so I thought about self-building. I know that its quite challenging if not impossible to buy standard parts as small as a ProDesk, but I want to get it as close as possible in order to make the prices more comparable. It can be a little bit bigger, but it also should be quite a bit cheaper.

NUCs are not really an option, they are just too expensive with comparable specs.

that seems like a really interesting option. Do I understand correctly that this is a Case + Motherboard combination? The only problem is that it is only available with an A300 chipset which doesn't support 3rd Gen Ryzen iirc?

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-deskmini-a300w/p/N82E16856158064?Description=AM4 barebones&cm_re=AM4_barebones-_-56-158-064-_-Product&quicklink=true

Supports RYZEN 3200G and 3400G

just needs storage/RAM/CPU

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, MoVo said:

It's a Case+Mobo+PSU combo. It supports Ryzen 2000/3000 series (Zen+/Zen2), but who knows if it'll support 4000 series (Zen3). I'm guessing it won't. If AMD comes out with a A500 chipset, they might make an updated Deskmini, but who knows.

REMILIA Mk.IIIE CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: Arctic Freezer II 240 (Noctua NT-H2), RAM: 4x 8Gb sticks of Patriot Viper Steel Series 3600 CL17, Mobo: AsRock X570 Taichi, GPU: Inno3D RTX 3080 iChill x4 10G, Storage: 1TB Intel 670p NVME SSD boot drive, a few 1TB and 512gb SATA/NVME SSDs for game storage, 6 hard drives 1-4 TB, PSU: Corsair RM750 MY2019, Case: Cooler Master Mastercase 5 MC500 (with add-ons, Noctua NF-A14 and Arctic P14 fans), PCIE Cards: Cheap Chinese Marvell 88SE9215 4 port SATA card, Sonnet Allegro USB3.2 Card Monitors: ViewSonic Elite XG270QC (165hz, 1ms MPRT, 1440p, VA, Freesync PP, pneumatic stand), Hp Z27n (IPS, 60hz, 1440p, 8Ms), iiyama G2530HSU-B (75Hz, Freesync, one in landscape, one in Portrait, all on pneumatic monitor stands).

Mic: iSK UPM-1 USB XLR interface with Neewer NW700, Audio: Sabaj A3 160W DAC/AMP + Wharfdale Diamond 220 + Mission MS6 Sub, ifi Zen DAC v2 + ifi Zen CAN, Littledot Mk.II (w/ Soviet Power tubes and British Mulard M8100s/Soviet Voshkod 6JP-EV/ American General Electric JAN 5654W dependent on mood), Sendy Aiva (Primary), Beyer Dynamic DT990 250ohm Black Special Edition, Audeze EL-8 Open Back, Sennheiser HD598SE (modified to be a headset, snapped headband held together with gorilla tape), Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 600, Keyboard: Glorious GMMK ISO with Mengmoda MMD Tactile (main) and Kailh Box Navy (Function keys), Tribosys 3203 brush lubed, Taihao Green forest caps.

KOAKUMA Mk.IB (24/7 Folding Slave PC made of spare parts): CPU: Core i7 4770, Cooler: Some small antex cooler with 80mm fan, RAM: 2x 4Gb Sticks of 2400Mhz DDR3, Mobo: Asus H81i-Plus, GPU: R9 390 Nitro+ (barely fits in case), Storage: 256gb Korean no-name SATA SSD, PSU: Corsair CX550 (Gray label), Case: Antec ISK600 ITX case. [Given away to friend]