Trusted 2242 (42mm) SSD

TheAndyPanda

Hi Everyone,

I have a Thinkpad T495, which came with an 250Gb SSD, in the regular NVMe 2280 form factor. I am looking to upgrade the amount of storage I have and possible dual-boot a Linux distro on my laptop. My options are to either get a larger 2280 form factor SSD, or to get a smaller 2242 SSD that fits in my second slot. I like this second option better as I can continue to use my original SSD, which is serving me just fine. I also only need to buy 120 or 240Gb SSD and I get lots of extra storage, instead of having to go to 500Gb to get an upgrade.

My problem is when I search for these small form factor SSDs on Amazon or Newegg or similar, the only small form factor options seem to be brands I have never heard of. Sunbow, Transcend, KingSpec and Dogfish. I would really like a Samsung, Intel, Adata, Kingston, literally anyone I have actually heard of. So my question is, does anyone know of any obscure SSDs form a reputable brand that I have missed. Then as a follow up, does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these other brands so I could better make a decision between them if I have to.

Thanks for any info you can give me!

I would just upgrade the current drive, maybe sell the old one.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈