Installing Linux on android device

Hi there i was wondering if someone could help me out with a personal project. Im trying to get a working version of Linux to run on my Samsung galaxy s8. Is it even possible to run a standalone Linux OS on a phone or do you have to use an emulator. I tried using termux to install linux but every time the install finishes and i run the "start-ubuntu19. Sh" command it just tells me that the specified command is not found. 

If any one has some suggestions for me i would very much appreciate it. 

-> Moved to Linux, macOS and Everything Not-Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

A standalone Linux OS such as Ubuntu or Manjaro, No.

However, there are Linux projects for mobile devices such as Ubuntu Touch, https://devices.ubuntu-touch.io/ and Sailfish OS, https://sailfishos.org/

Unfortunately neither have working builds for Samsung Devices and the supported device list is quite small. You would need to port it to your device assuming you can unlock the boot-loader.

If you run any form of Linux on your Samsung, it will more than likely require the use of a emulator.

17 hours ago, Silverado said:

I tried using termux to install linux but every time the install finishes and i run the "start-ubuntu19. Sh" command it just tells me that the specified command is not found.

Termux shoud work fine. To run a bash script named "example.sh" make sure that the file has execute permission chmod 700 example.sh and then type ./example.sh

ಠ_ಠ

Linux with little hardware support, and get a terminal running.   Or full firmware, GUI, and touch support?

Intel 12400F | 2x8 3000Mhz Corsair LPX | ASRock H570M-ITX  | Noctua DH-N14 | Corsair MP50 480GB | Meshilicious | Corsair SF600Fedora

Thanks let me know if I said something useful. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys sorry for the late response. I eventually tried rooting the Samsung galaxy s8 unfortunately i ended up breaking the software. The phone now only turns on and is able to boot in to the flashing utility and not further than that. Luckily as they say live and learn i got a successful running version of Linux on an other phone by using termux and the Linux software from NetHunter and also the vnc from NetHunter. Unfortunately my S8 still remains unbootable so does anyone maby know where i can find a legitimate version of Android for an s8 i am not to sure about the model number so i will have to get that as soon as i get home. 

Ps; thanks a lot for the help guys it really helped a ton. 

Android IS based on linux, if you are just trying to run terminal programs you can just root the phone and install a terminal emulator.

You can even run Ubuntu through chroot