Does Ram need cooling?

Go to solution Solved by Senzelian,

Don't worry, your RAM will be fine.

RAM only needs a tiny bit of air circulation, which is already achieved by it heating up the air around it, which then begins to move upwards and the heatspreaders are designed to even out temperature differences between the individual memory chiplets.

I know the title might seem a little stupid so here is the backstory. I am currently building on the Thermaltake core p5 which is an open case and I am water-cooling both cpu and gpu. As a serious multitasker and gamer obviously temperature is a concern I have. I'm wondering if the open case with no fans will bode bad news for my memory if I neglect to water or air cool them.

Most ram works fine without cooling. Which ram are you using?

probably not if you dont go crasy with the clockspeeds

Don't worry, your RAM will be fine.

RAM only needs a tiny bit of air circulation, which is already achieved by it heating up the air around it, which then begins to move upwards and the heatspreaders are designed to even out temperature differences between the individual memory chiplets.

2 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

Most ram works fine without cooling. Which ram are you using?

Currently using 2x 16Gb Corsair Vengeance  

I appreciate the help! sounds like ill be ok without blowing crazy money on ram watercooling😅

Just now, Adler05 said:

I appreciate the help! sounds like ill be ok without blowing crazy money on ram watercooling😅

Unless you run a server, the ECC Registered RAM is oftentimes cooled actively by fans sitting right on top of them (Dell PowerEdge Servers do this a lot)

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 minute ago, Adler05 said:

Currently using 2x 16Gb Corsair Vengeance  

should be totally fine, the only time i saw issues with RAM temps it was RAM with really big heatsinks and all slots populated and it was DDR3.

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Unless you run a server, the ECC Registered RAM is oftentimes cooled actively by fans sitting right on top of them (Dell PowerEdge Servers do this a lot)

My main concern is running large 3d modeling as I am expecting to prototype drones. 

4 minutes ago, _Omega_ said:

should be totally fine, the only time i saw issues with RAM temps it was RAM with really big heatsinks and all slots populated and it was DDR3.

If I populated all 4 slots down the road is it something I should watch out for?

2 minutes ago, Adler05 said:

If I populated all 4 slots down the road is it something I should watch out for?

Should be fine as well it was 6x 2GB DDR3 overclocked on an x58 board.

Just now, _Omega_ said:

Should be fine as well it was 6x 2GB DDR3 overclocked on an x58 board.

Oh ok, that makes me feel better. I wont be putting nearly that much load on it.

Ive seen people cool their motherboard as well, is this necessary? 

8 hours ago, Adler05 said:

Ive seen people cool their motherboard as well, is this necessary? 

In 99,99% of cases not, just if you want high overclocks or have a really bad board.

Does RAM need cooling? Generally no, some (B-Die @ high voltages) will get unstable without cooling though so it kinda depends. Should you watercool your RAM? Probably not as long as you have some airflow. Watercooled RAM does look really nice though.

Motherboard cooling is pretty similar but it can also eliminate the question of VRM temps and of course on X570, you can get rid of the fan on the chipset.

Get some water blocks for them anyway. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz