Enough Thermal Paste?

Hey Guys,

So I changed Thermal Paste for the first time on a laptop. Its a Razer Blade pro 2017 v2. I was shocked to see the Thermal Paste done by Razer. The laptop is not even 1 Year old and the paste was already dried up and it was a complete mess. I have posted a picture. I mean this came like that from Razer. So anyways I changed the Thermal Paste. I used Arctic MX-4. Because it is my first time changing Thermal Paste I am not sure if it is to much or too less. Anyways I applied it and closed my laptop. The Temp did drop a bit but not much. So that gets me guessing if the paste was enough or too much. Any advice would be great. The GTX 1080 is on the left and i7-70820HK on the right.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-08 at 6.52.51 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-08 at 6.52.51 PM (1).jpeg

No Razer didn't put too much and it's only really dried up because it's cold. 

You put too little on the GPU IMO because on Razers attempt they actually closed the gap from the coldplate to the heatpipe giving it more

heat transfer area, which you don't really have now.

Generally reapplying thermal paste after 1 year is a bad idea unless temps are bad ofc. 

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Then should I re-paste the GPU and CPU again?

3 minutes ago, AbdullahTron said:

Hey Guys,

So I changed Thermal Paste for the first time on a laptop. Its a Razer Blade pro 2017 v2. I was shocked to see the Thermal Paste done by Razer. The laptop is not even 1 Year old and the paste was already dried up and it was a complete mess. I have posted a picture. I mean this came like that from Razer. So anyways I changed the Thermal Paste. I used Arctic MX-4. Because it is my first time changing Thermal Paste I am not sure if it is to much or too less. Anyways I applied it and closed my laptop. The Temp did drop a bit but not much. So that gets me guessing if the paste was enough or too much. Any advice would be great. The GTX 1080 is on the left and i7-70820HK on the right.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-08 at 6.52.51 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-08 at 6.52.51 PM (1).jpeg

Paste does dry up like that over time, the stock paste looks normal and what I would expect it to have looked like.

I would be worried you didn't use enough. There is no such thing as too much thermal paste. As long as its not electrically conducive, you want to use "too much", especially on laptops like that because your cooling the die's directly, there is no IHS. You need to ensure you have 100% coverage across the entire die. I would have used a good bit more....

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

2 minutes ago, AbdullahTron said:

The thermal paste you put on there should be enough to spread out well, but there's no such thing as too much thermal paste and the application done by Razer is good, dried up thermal paste doesn't mean that it's bad, it's because some thermal pastes will cure over time unlike the MX-4 which doesn't cure and will stay liquid, if you put too much thermal paste then most of it will squeeze out from the sides so in the end it would result in the same amount of thermal paste between the die and the heatsink whether you used too much or a decent amount of it to fill the whole chip.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

1 minute ago, Syn. said:

The thermal paste you put on there should be enough to spread out well, but there's no such thing as too much thermal paste and the application done by Razer is good, dried up thermal paste doesn't mean that it's bad, it's because some thermal pastes will cure over time unlike the MX-4 which doesn't cure and will stay liquid, if you put too much thermal paste then most of it will squeeze out from the sides so in the end it would result in the same amount of thermal paste between the die and the heatsink whether you used too much or a decent amount of it to fill the whole chip.

This is true, but his GPU could have used a lot more. I doubt it pushed past that heat pipe valley at all, so a large portion of the chip likely has no thermal paste on it at all... That is a recipe for a fried chip...

When you are direct die cooling like this, you always want to favor overkill on the paste, especially with a huge valley in the heat pipes like that.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

3 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

This is true, but his GPU could have used a lot more. I doubt it pushed past that heat pipe valley at all, so a large portion of the chip likely has no thermal paste on it at all... That is a recipe for a fried chip...

When you are direct die cooling like this, you always want to favor overkill on the paste, especially with a huge valley in the heat pipes like that.

I agree, I was just about to say that depending on the distance between the Die and Heatsink and how even those surfaces are then that amount might not have covered it well enough, I would add a little bit more to ensure that there is enough coverage, especially with an MX4 because it isn't conductive, too little thermal paste is always bad

4 minutes ago, Syn. said:

You can use too much paste. The idea of it is to fill in the surface imperfections whilst allowing direct contact between the heatsink and device wherever possible. Relying on mounting pressure to squeeze out the excess isn't a great idea.

Anymore, since using TG Kryo - I don't care what brand of paste it is, I use my little spreader stick and spread over my components myself.  I no longer dot, X, splatter, shoot a freethrow, etc at the components.  Even keel spread each time.  Works very well imho.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

Just now, Curious Pineapple said:

You can use too much paste. The idea of it is to fill in the surface imperfections whilst allowing direct contact between the heatsink and device wherever possible. Relying on mounting pressure to squeeze out the excess isn't a great idea.

I only meant in terms of performance differences as there will be the same amount between the two surfaces because of mounting pressure (compared to the exact amount) but you're right to say that it isn't recommended, thermal paste can be problematic if it ever got on a PCB or CPU pins for example but in his scenario it's okay to use a little bit more to ensure full coverage, a little bit of excess on the side is considered okay and his thermal paste isn't conductive