PSU will not turn on... Sometimes

Stefken89

Hi all,

I am having an issue with my Corsair AX 850 Gold PSU (age almost 8 years - 2012), at least I think it's the PSU that is causing the issue.

The computer works fine. But, when I shut it down, the power button on my case and the one I have on the motherboard (MSI z77a-gd80) will not turn on the computer, most of the time. Sometimes it works. 
Most of the time I have to shut down the PSU with the switch on the back for about 10-15sec, turn it back on and then the button will work.

Similarly, when my computer is in sleep mode the power button acts the same way as described above.

Any ideas? I'm thinking it's the PSU, but I don't just want to buy a new one if I am not sure it is the issue. 

Kind regards,

Stef

Either the power supply or the board. One is on its last legs. I'd suggest trying the power supply first. You have a return window I'd it happens to be the board. Get a Corsair RMx 650W and call it a day

13 minutes ago, Stefken89 said:

the power button on my case and the one I have on the motherboard (MSI z77a-gd80) will not turn on the computer, most of the time. Sometimes it works. 

Similarly, when my computer is in sleep mode the power button acts the same way as described above.

Might be a lose contact on the power switch, either at the motherboard or at the switch itself. Or a loose cable somewhere else... I'd check those first.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

15 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Either the power supply or the board. One is on its last legs. I'd suggest trying the power supply first. You have a return window I'd it happens to be the board. Get a Corsair RMx 650W and call it a day

Good idea. It's reproducible since the issue happens pretty much every time I shut down.

10 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Might be a lose contact on the power switch, either at the motherboard or at the switch itself. Or a loose cable somewhere else... I'd check those first.

Well I double (and triple for that matter) checked all the cables, so that shouldn't be it. If it's inside the psu I'm just buying a new one...

Thanks for the opinions!