which one: gigabit ethernet adapter or new router/modem?

Go to solution Solved by jscho,

I'm using PoE right this very minute, it's VERY simple to set up. Ethernet from router into one module, plug it into the wall and put the second module in your PC room with the ethernet going to the PC. The wall sockets simply act as a passthrough. It's pretty neat.

I got sick of my wireless drops and shitty connection so I got PoE as it was the only plausible option (a 50m ethernet cable is not going to work), and I saw instant improvements. Instant. My connections were flatline stable.

hey guys this is my situation right now,

so this is my internet: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3323699764

and this is the modem router right now: Technicolor TG582n

so im on wireless ( :( ) because i have no ethernet port in my room and im using the included wifi module on the maximus vi formula. my wifi sometimes disconnects because its probably too far so sometimes i go without internet for days. that absolutely ridiculous.  so im wondering should i get a better modem/router or buy this ethernet gigabit adapter: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16992 . but  one qustion i had about the PoE is how does it work? do i just buy it, plug one into the modem downstairs and the other one in my room upstairs and plug that into my pc? is it that simple? sounds to good/easy to be true tbh. anyways please give me suggestions on what i should do. and if i do end up going with the PoE then ill probs down the road buy a new modem later on. thanks so much for any input. cheers

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

I'm using PoE right this very minute, it's VERY simple to set up. Ethernet from router into one module, plug it into the wall and put the second module in your PC room with the ethernet going to the PC. The wall sockets simply act as a passthrough. It's pretty neat.

I got sick of my wireless drops and shitty connection so I got PoE as it was the only plausible option (a 50m ethernet cable is not going to work), and I saw instant improvements. Instant. My connections were flatline stable.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

may i ask which one you have? is the one that i have linked good?

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

may i ask which one you have? is the one that i have linked good?

I'm using this one: http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=200_1348&products_id=16753

(We got four of them (two packs) for free when we got our Foxtel installed, so I pinched one from behind our TV. Shhhhh, don't tell my parents  :ph34r: )  :lol:

And yeah, that TP-Link one looks pretty nice. It's got built-in QoS (which is nice) and it appears to be PnP. I'd be happy with that :D

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

i would say try connecting a laptop directly to the router if the speeds then are still crap get a new router if there better get one of those dlan thingys

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Just came to say that you guys are not talking about PoE but about power line adapters :-)

Just came to say that you guys are not talking about PoE but about power line adapters :-)

yeah got that pointed out to me before. clearly im not the most educated when it comes to networking. its why im here. :)

It's cool I wouldn't want you to use the wrong terminology to the wrong people... you'll either get handed something you didn't want or a confused stare

It's cool I wouldn't want you to use the wrong terminology to the wrong people... you'll either get handed something you didn't want or a confused stare

haha yea tru.