Is this a good spec?

* I posted a thread back in February for same kinda parts jw if anyone's options have changed or something - i'm now able to afford it cash where before was finance and i saved & waited to avoid debt. *

Budget (including currency):  £3,000 GBP

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming, web/mobile programming, video editing (just starting out - YouTube), live streaming while playing (Twitch + YouTube).

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

This is what I'm thinking so far:

Case: Meshify S2 Tempered Glass (Appz good airflow)
CPU: AMD Rezen 9 3950X 16 Core

Motherboard: ASUS TUF X570-PLUS GAMING (NON-WIFI)
Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600MHz CL18 (2x 8GB) - Is 3600 CL18 worth it or 2600? This my main concern I get mixed vibes on YT reviews. It's an extra £23 for the 3600 over 3200.

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio (Buying from third-party fitting self)

SSD: 1TB Seagate Firecuda 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (500MB/R/4400MB/W)

PSU: Corsair 750W RMx Series 80 Plus Gold

Cooler: Corsair H115i Platinum Series - Do I get the pro or stay with the platinum?

Elgato Game Capture 4K60 PRO MK.2 

= £1,892.00 (PC @ 3600MHz) + £1,225.99 (GPU) = £3,117.99

= £1,869.00 (PC @ 3200MHz) + £1,225.99 (GPU) = £3,094.99

Note: I'm going pre-build so i'm limited to whatever the company offer/sale. List of my options can be found here! I worked it out I'm only paying a little extra for pre-build so i consider it worthily for the warranty they offer.

I'm also after 1440p 144Hz+ (no ultrawide) monitor recommendations if anyone knows ideally with 2 non-gaming monitors that match as close as possible (3 total) like bezel wise/height.

Normal | Gaming | Normal 3 display setup.

Looks good. 3200 is good enough, 3600 I don't think you'll notice much difference but it depends with latency. CL18 isn't very good... but they didn't have many options that's for sure... I run 3200 CL16 which is decent for a cheap price..

I would say a 3950x is overkill.  The 3900x will be fine imo.

At your price point, go ahead and get the 3600 MHz.

I have no experience with Corsair AIOs.  I tend to do custom or air.

Change the RAM with Corsair 3200MHz CL16.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

18 hours ago, aDoomGuy said:

Looks good. 3200 is good enough, 3600 I don't think you'll notice much difference but it depends with latency. CL18 isn't very good... but they didn't have many options that's for sure... I run 3200 CL16 which is decent for a cheap price..

Thanks! I was thinking the 3200 RGB just cause yano RGB is nice :P

It's CL-18 they confirmed via phone they don't offer CL16 can buy self but have to buy ram 1gb and then try and re-sell that as they wont sell systems without memory.

18 hours ago, Hilltrot said:

I would say a 3950x is overkill.  The 3900x will be fine imo.

At your price point, go ahead and get the 3600 MHz.

I have no experience with Corsair AIOs.  I tend to do custom or air.

Just change the 3950x to the 3900x? Keep the 2080TI (Some say downgrade to super wont notice a difference)?

PC is to last me 3-5 years my current is Vista 32bit 2gb ram and it was built in 2008 it's now dead on me (more than 2 tabs crashes) LOL.

18 hours ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Change the RAM with Corsair 3200MHz CL16.

I'm unsure if the 3200 is CL16, It might be CL18 like the 3800 (if that exists?) they're so limited in options and don't really say on the config when building have to keep calling up.

@RayJohnson48 Since they don't specify the config, can you call them or contact them via email to tell you? 

The UK is a big country aren't there any places you can get 3200MHz CL16 RAM Corsair or G. Skill RipJaws V? 

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

49 minutes ago, RayJohnson48 said:

Just change the 3950x to the 3900x? Keep the 2080TI (Some say downgrade to super wont notice a difference)?

It depends on what you are playing . . . .

CS:GO Fortnite, etc. with no RTX get a 2080s or less.

If you want Ray-tracing, you probably want the ti if you can budget it.

I don't think anyone but me plays with Ray-Tracing-on on this forum.  If you want ray-tracing you need all the power you can get.  But to be honest, the new graphics cards are so close . . . .  I might try to get by with a 2070s . . . and save money to get the next gen.

A 3900x is overkill with streaming.  A 3950x is $300 more of overkill.  In fact, if you just do streaming a 3600 is fine.  The 3300x would work with streaming.  This video recording can be done on the RTX card.  (Don't buy AMD.)

A 3950x is really for high end video editing and the like.  If you are compiling large programs designed by a full development team.  IMO, for anyone else it is E-peen.

2 hours ago, F.E.A.R. said:

@RayJohnson48 Since they don't specify the config, can you call them or contact them via email to tell you? 

The UK is a big country aren't there any places you can get 3200MHz CL16 RAM Corsair or G. Skill RipJaws V? 

Yes, I can email them and they normally reply within 2-3 days (maybe longer due to COVID). That's how I find out the 3600MHz is 18-CL. Phones are limited.

I can buy whatever memory elsewhere and fit it myself and keep warranty but I must buy some kind of memory from them the min is 4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR 2400MHz (I'd then needa re-sell this or whatever).

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Hilltrot said:

It depends on what you are playing . . . .

CS:GO Fortnite, etc. with no RTX get a 2080s or less.

If you want Ray-tracing, you probably want the ti if you can budget it.

I don't think anyone but me plays with Ray-Tracing-on on this forum.  If you want ray-tracing you need all the power you can get.  But to be honest, the new graphics cards are so close . . . .  I might try to get by with a 2070s . . . and save money to get the next gen.

A 3900x is overkill with streaming.  A 3950x is $300 more of overkill.  In fact, if you just do streaming a 3600 is fine.  The 3300x would work with streaming.  This video recording can be done on the RTX card.  (Don't buy AMD.)

A 3950x is really for high end video editing and the like.  If you are compiling large programs designed by a full development team.  IMO, for anyone else it is E-peen.

Mainly COD: Warzone while streaming @ 900p and recording in 1440p/4K. Plus some VR later down the line, again streaming and recording VR play.

I also plan to get into video editing on windows (rn I currently shoot 4K weddings on DSLRs/Drones and edit on MacBook Pro) but wish to do this on Desktop and ditch laptops.

@RayJohnson48 Yeah perhaps that's the best thing to do, buy the whole PC with low speed RAM and then sell the RAM, I mean if it pays off.

14 hours ago, RayJohnson48 said:

Mainly COD: Warzone while streaming @ 900p and recording in 1440p/4K. Plus some VR later down the line, again streaming and recording VR play.

I also plan to get into video editing on windows (rn I currently shoot 4K weddings on DSLRs/Drones and edit on MacBook Pro) but wish to do this on Desktop and ditch laptops.

I guess recording and streaming on the CPU itself may require the 3950.  I’ve always just used the Nvidia cards.  So, if you’re using the CPU to do the encoding, I’m not sure what you need because I’ve haven’t used a CPU for that.

20 hours ago, F.E.A.R. said:

@RayJohnson48 Yeah perhaps that's the best thing to do, buy the whole PC with low speed RAM and then sell the RAM, I mean if it pays off.

They emailed me back. They confirmed the pre-installed which comes with the system is 3200MHz CM4X8GD3200C16W4 CL-16 2x 8GB. I can order the 4GB and install my own ram of my choice but seems most 2x8GB 3800MHz CL16 is £200+

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory is £87.59 from Newegg but long delivery  and shipping isn't free (from US).

Why not build your own pc ? It isn't difficult to do, and then you get to choose the parts you want instead of being limited.

Also no way I would buy a 2080 ti with the 3000 series being pretty close to release. It is terrible price/performance anyway. A pcie gen 4 ssd is also overkill for your usecase. 

19 hours ago, lee32uk said:

Why not build your own pc ? It isn't difficult to do, and then you get to choose the parts you want instead of being limited.

Also no way I would buy a 2080 ti with the 3000 series being pretty close to release. It is terrible price/performance anyway. A pcie gen 4 ssd is also overkill for your usecase. 

Built my own PCs for years, kinda wanna avoid it now. Plus warranty and peace of mind. 3000 series will be nice but expensive i'm sure.

What storage do you suggest? Keeping in mind i'm copying huge files of 4K raw video.

18 hours ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

Did you use someone help to search for most expencive stuff :) hay am driving Ferrari is good car.

Nope! I just posted my budget and use case on different sites and forums (toms hardware, pcpartpicker, reddit) and most suggested this spec mins some said a different case and to switch 3900x/2080S.

This is to last me 3-5 years, I've had my current vista system since 2008.

1 hour ago, RayJohnson48 said:

Built my own PCs for years, kinda wanna avoid it now. Plus warranty and peace of mind. 3000 series will be nice but expensive i'm sure.

What storage do you suggest? Keeping in mind i'm copying huge files of 4K raw video.

You would still get warranty on the individual parts. If you are set on buying a prebuilt, I would look at other places such as Overclockers or Scan etc. They should be able to build you something to your own spec if you buy everything from them, and they have a better selection of parts to choose from. 

The 3000 series might not be as expensive as you think. The RTX 3080 should come in cheaper than a 2080 ti and it is supposedly 10% faster. Also if AMD manage to pull a Rabbit out of the Hat with Navi then there might be some healthy competition which means better prices.

A Gen 4 will be faster then if you are moving large files round. A Sabrent Rocket Gen 4 is cheaper than the Seagate, but I think it is only stocked at Amazon. The Seagate is selling for £215 so it is a nice saving.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TLYWMYW?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

1 hour ago, lee32uk said:

You would still get warranty on the individual parts. If you are set on buying a prebuilt, I would look at other places such as Overclockers or Scan etc. They should be able to build you something to your own spec if you buy everything from them, and they have a better selection of parts to choose from. 

The 3000 series might not be as expensive as you think. The RTX 3080 should come in cheaper than a 2080 ti and it is supposedly 10% faster. Also if AMD manage to pull a Rabbit out of the Hat with Navi then there might be some healthy competition which means better prices.

A Gen 4 will be faster then if you are moving large files round. A Sabrent Rocket Gen 4 is cheaper than the Seagate, but I think it is only stocked at Amazon. The Seagate is selling for £215 so it is a nice saving.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07TLYWMYW?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

For sure, but that warranty is mostly only 1 year vs 3 years on everything and not my problem if it goes wrong (minus GPU seems to be 3yr). It worked out about £90 more pre-build for the same specs self build and the peace of mind of knowing i can just ship it back free if anything is wrong.

Overclockers priced the spec on my OP @ £3,428.99 and Scan wanted £3,599.99. When I emailed them my parts list above and said "how much to build this" this was the price fixed for 5 days.

Downside i don't get boxes for the individual parts with a pre-build so less easy re-sell (although i'd re-sell the system as a whole or just upgrade parts as I go).

When is the 3000 series due? I'm hoping to get the system ASAP since my current PC i can't open more than 2 tabs on Chrome or watch anything above 480p on YouTube.

Taking a look at the Sabrent Rocket now, thanks for the suggestion :) I'll likely get a scratch drive one day.

This is my current PC (2008):

spacer.png

Very slow, very old and super outdated. Some reason Speccy reports 4GB i actually only have 2x 1GB sticks lol.

The majority of components have more than 1 year warranty. Things like hard drives might be 1 year, but the majority of components are at least 2 yrs or more. 

Just an example of a spec from OCUK. The prices might be slightly different on their website, but it gives you a general idea.

I don't think you need a 3950X. If you were doing Video editing as a job then maybe, but you can still upgrade to a 4950X down the road.

Same goes for the gpu. A 2070 Super is a good mid range option, and you can make use of NVENC. So in say 6 - 8 months after the 3000 series/Navi releases, prices will have settled down and you can look at a new gpu then if need be.

You could do a comparison for other stores as well.

So even after you add the capture card and build fee you should still have around £1000 saved for future upgrades.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (£301.51 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
CPU Cooler: Alpenföhn Brocken 3 60.62 CFM CPU Cooler  (£50.13 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£223.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£100.43 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Storage: Seagate FireCuda 520 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (£261.47 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card  (£512.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Case: Phanteks ECLIPSE P600S ATX Mid Tower Case  (£149.03 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Power Supply: BitFenix Whisper M 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£102.59 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Total: £1701.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-10 16:50 BST+0100