Console vs PC optimization

Dynamicace

So does anyone have any idea how much games are optimized for console over PC. Like let’s say assassins creed or maybe gears of war. Xbox one gets say 30fps and low medium detail equivalent. Now for a pc to match this the thing over heard over and over is that the pc needs to be more powerful to match the same exact performance (resolution, frame rate, detail, etc).   Is this true, if the Xbox has 2.5 tflops or whatever does the pc need to be 3tflop, 4tflops for the gpu. Does the cpu need to be 10% faster on pc to match 25% faster. 

just really curious in terms of a rough % better a pc needs to be to match console optimization gains. I know the optimization changes over time so maybe year one and final year optimizations. Like how halo 4 looked very impressive on Xbox 360 on the last year vs something like halo 3 (that still looked very impressive)

wonder if this optimization is really worth the pride console gamers brag about. 

If a Game comes to Consoles and PC, PC will always be superiour. 

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I don’t don’t the pc will be superior, but a 2080ti in sli is obviously the best you can get for $2500. I also know that normally when a console comes out a pc can match it for about the same price.

im very curious if this will be true for the next year when a 12.xx tflop Xbox come out which beat the last gen titan xp. For less than the price of a titan. 

A console doesnt need drivers as such, that translation layer can be ditched as there is only one specific set of hardware that it will run on. You can merge the display manager and driver into one piece of software that works more efficiantly. The compiler knows exactly what hardware the code will run on, and so do the developers.

20 minutes ago, Dynamicace said:

So does anyone have any idea how much games are optimized for console over PC. Like let’s say assassins creed or maybe gears of war. Xbox one gets say 30fps and low medium detail equivalent. Now for a pc to match this the thing over heard over and over is that the pc needs to be more powerful to match the same exact performance (resolution, frame rate, detail, etc).   Is this true, if the Xbox has 2.5 tflops or whatever does the pc need to be 3tflop, 4tflops for the gpu. Does the cpu need to be 10% faster on pc to match 25% faster. 

just really curious in terms of a rough % better a pc needs to be to match console optimization gains. I know the optimization changes over time so maybe year one and final year optimizations. Like how halo 4 looked very impressive on Xbox 360 on the last year vs something like halo 3 (that still looked very impressive)

wonder if this optimization is really worth the pride console gamers brag about. 

I'd say that a computer needs to be 5~10% faster to make for the OS overhead and compile optimizations that can be enabled carelessly on consoles (such as avx2 and whatnot).

3 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

A console doesnt need drivers as such, that translation layer can be ditched as there is only one specific set of hardware that it will run on. You can merge the display manager and driver into one piece of software that works more efficiantly.

That's not true. You still need drivers to interface with your hardware, no matter the platform you're on. Keep in mind that both Xbox and PS have OS based on desktop counterparts (Windows NT for Xbox, FreeBSD-based for PS). You still need display managers and whatnot in there.

The compiler knows exactly what hardware the code will run on, and so do the developers.

Now that's true. You can simply set something like --march=native into your build settings to take advantages of the latest features without worrying about backwards compat since there's none. Game developers usually don't care that much since those things are most of the times handled by their game engine already with modern consoles.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

48 minutes ago, Dynamicace said:

2080ti in sli is obviously the best you can get for $2500.

Just for record, SLI is dead and Nvidia has recognized this.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER