Blackout Problem on GTX 760 In-Game after Small Overclock

Go to solution Solved by scaryjam823,

Your graphics card driver crashed, means an unstable overclock. Not all cards can handle overclocking the same, some not at all. Looks like you didn't get a good one, try upping the core voltage to stabilize it if you haven't already.

I have had my overclock stable with most games (before I flashed my bios) but with some games it just wasn't stable and would crash no matter what. With my bios flash I was able to get 4x the overclock I was before thanks to being able to set a higher power limit and higher core voltage.

Hello! I've just recently looked into overclocking my gtx 760 and did a minimal change by increasing clock speed by 50. There have been two events within the last two days (one in Batman Arkham City and the other in League of legends) where the frame rates would drop extremely low all of a sudden to the point where the game is stuttering frame to frame and my screen would go black and my computer would be unrecoverable from its state unless I manually powered it down/rebooted. I've never had this problem before so I reset my graphics card to its default settings just in case that was the issue, but I have yet to see if this works. Can anyone with knowledge on this specific issue enlighten me on what's going on?

Thanks!

System Specs:
Asus P6TD Deluxe LGA 1366
Intel Core i7 930 2.8GHz
6GB Patriot Triple Channel RAM
80GB SSD (OS)
1TB HDD
EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked

Your graphics card driver crashed, means an unstable overclock. Not all cards can handle overclocking the same, some not at all. Looks like you didn't get a good one, try upping the core voltage to stabilize it if you haven't already.

I have had my overclock stable with most games (before I flashed my bios) but with some games it just wasn't stable and would crash no matter what. With my bios flash I was able to get 4x the overclock I was before thanks to being able to set a higher power limit and higher core voltage.

My Rig :  Case: Cooler Master HAF X ,Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H,PSU: Seasonic SS-750KM3,Processor: Core I7 4770k (overclocked 4.7ghz),Cooler: Corsair H100i, GPU: EVGA GTX 780 with acx cooler, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 16gb DDR3 1600 (overclocked to 2000mhz), HDDS  Samsung 840 EVO 250 gb SSD , Western digital  2tb 7200 rpm 64mb cache, Old 1tb laptop drive I had , 320gb for os backup daily, 80gb external for weekly backups,Drives 2x Lg Blu Ray burner WH16MS40,MISC: Tp-Link dual band wireless card, Logitech g510s, Razer Deathadder 2013, Acer G236HLBbd 23" monitor, Old tv I had 23" for secondary monitor, old 32" samsung tv third monitor

Unstable overclock most likeley, you probably didn't win in the GPU lottery.

CPU: Intel Core i7 2600k | Mootherboard: ASUS P8z68v-Pro | GPU: EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | RAM: Kingston HyperX Genesis 8GB (4GBx2) 1600mhz | PSU: Corsair AX760 | STORAGE: Samsung 840 Pro 512GB | COOLER: Noctua NH-C14 | CASE: Fractal Design Define R4 Pearl Black | Operating SystemWindows 7 Professional 64-bit |

Perfect, just the answers I was looking for. I think I'll just leave it untouched for now, thanks to both of you for the wonderful and quick help! :]