New Car Stereo Install

MrMiniBeast

I have a Subaru Outback 2004 and want to install a stereo so I can plug in my ipod. The one I chose is this

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EPY0JD0/ref=gno_cart_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2YP0EJE3XQ4OW

What I need to know is what else I need to go along with this. I found this cite here which sorta helps

http://www.aius.net/vehicleproducts.php?y=933

I guess what I'm really wondering is whether I need both harnesses. How exactly do the electronics work...

I understand I need the din holder thinger.

If anybody could help me out I'd be very thankful

-Andrew

btw I have crimps I'm using instead of soldering

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

my area of expertise.

Go with Pioneer or Alpine they have the best Ipod integration.

You need to run a 12AWG or 8AWG wire (there are kits that comes with a fuse) from you battery

Also a battery terminal with right size of hole depending which size of cable. run them with existing holes of the firewall or drill watching bothsides to avoid hitting  something.

for the ground cable just use a galvanized boltsand drilled to some place, if you can find bare metal from the car even better.

If you want to be able to turn on/off your stereo independently just twist the red and yellow together then crimp it to the wire from the battery. if not find the relay cable thats place under your driver wheel .

Make sure your speakers impedance (ohmns) match with the impedance output of the headunit (stereo) almost all are 4ohmns

You'd need the adapter for your car to avoid holes on your dash because sometimes the slot for the stereo is not rectangular. also the wire harness comes with the stereo

The wire harness contains all your outputs and inputs like: Power, Ground, Left Speaker, Right Speaker, etc

Having a good stereo unit gives you more flexibility  in terms of future expansion. Good examples of Headunits

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-150MP-Single-Stereo-Playback/dp/B0091V0A9U/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393047925&sr=1-2&keywords=pioneer+car+stereo

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DEH-P9400BH-Mobile-Receiver-Bluetooth/dp/B006YBQ6Z2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393048019&sr=1-1&keywords=pioneer+9400 (mine)

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-CDE-121-Car-Stereo-Receiver/dp/B004J55KOS/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393048072&sr=1-4&keywords=alpine+car+stereo

(installedfor a friend)

my area of expertise.

Go with Pioneer or Alpine they have the best Ipod integration.

You need to run a 12AWG or 8AWG wire (there are kits that comes with a fuse) from you battery

Also a battery terminal with right size of hole depending which size of cable. run them with existing holes of the firewall or drill watching bothsides to avoid hitting  something.

for the ground cable just use a galvanized boltsand drilled to some place, if you can find bare metal from the car even better.

If you want to be able to turn on/off your stereo independently just twist the red and yellow together then crimp it to the wire from the battery. if not find the relay cable thats place under your driver wheel .

Make sure your speakers impedance (ohmns) match with the impedance output of the headunit (stereo) almost all are 4ohmns

You'd need the adapter for your car to avoid holes on your dash because sometimes the slot for the stereo is not rectangular.

Your area of expertise? I don't think so... Since when do you run a power wire from your battery to the head unit? Have you ever even installed a radio in a car before?

Now, to answer your question...

You will only need the first harness, the SWH-942 and if you have not already ordered your head unit I would advise spending more. The one you picked isn't very good. Something like this would be much better.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC155U/Kenwood-KDC-155U.html

I could try to explain step by step but instead I'll just link you to a sites that will be more helpful than me typing everything out. Also,remember to disconnect the negative wire from your battery under the hood, this will prevent anything from blowing if you mess up.

http://subaru.fmgreen.net/2ndGen-AudioInstallation-AU.pdf

It's really not hard, everything is color coded so just make sure you are connecting the wires correctly and you should be good to go.

Your area of expertise? I don't think so... Since when do you run a power wire from your battery to the head unit? Have you ever even installed a radio in a car before?

Now, to answer your question...

You will only need the first harness, the SWH-942 and if you have not already ordered your head unit I would advise spending more. The one you picked isn't very good. Something like this would be much better.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDC155U/Kenwood-KDC-155U.html

I could try to explain step by step but instead I'll just link you to a sites that will be more helpful than me typing everything out. Also,remember to disconnect the negative wire from your battery under the hood, this will prevent anything from blowing if you mess up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXmcOjXKzmY

It's really not hard, everything is color coded so just make sure you are connecting the wires correctly and you should be good to go.

Doing it from zero you need sir. also the kind of car matters.in the video are using preexisting wiring. and the mate didn't say replacing a stock stereo... you can utilize a powerline to run it from the battery to power amps and the head unit or directly to the head unit. taking  in consideration the amount of things you are powering.

i have a 0AWG from my battery to a distribution block that splits into 2 4AWG (American Wire Gauge) and 1 8AWG.

Doing it from zero you need sir. also the kind of car matters.in the video are using preexisting wiring. and the mate didn't say replacing a stock stereo... you can utilize a powerline to run it from the battery to power amps and the head unit or directly to the head unit. taking  in consideration the amount of things you are powering.

i have a 0AWG from my battery to a distribution block that splits into 2 4AWG (American Wire Gauge) and 1 8AWG.

you're an idiot... I'm not even going to try. You don't need to run a power wire from your battery to your head unit....

Often auto spares dealers will sell wire harness adapters that are pre-made, makers of car stereos for example Sony, or Pioneer have universal harness configurations that are the same type across the range of their own head units, the same is true for car manufacturers on the car's harness stalk.

Your stereo will come with it's own type of harness, it should be possible to just buy a universal-subaru fitment harness adapter for quite little money and have it all plug straight in with no fiddling.

When you pull the standard stereo out, you will be unplugging something that looks like this from the back of it, this is the Subaru type standard radio harness.

71-8901.jpg

The back of your new head unit will have something resembling this, the universal harness that many head units come included with, (the single plug will go into the head unit, the pair will be hanging free).

CT21JV04.jpg

The below is the "universal-subaru" item that fits between the two, fitting into the harness that comes with your head unit's 2 connectors, and converting that to the single connector that will then connect to your car's connector that is hanging down where your old stereo used to be.

PC2-44-4.jpg

The Antenna connector will most likely fit straight into the back of your new stereo, the connector types are generic I believe Subaru uses the longer variant that looks like this.

CT27AA59.jpg

It will enter here on the back of your stereo.

pic17.jpg

Some stereos take a different kind of antenna connector, it looks like this.

CT27AA09.jpg

Fear not however, it is very very easy to get an adapter for the antenna jack.

I see you have the double DIN to single DIN thing worked out already, the adapter should cost no more than $20.

My advice to you, get a better quality head unit, the one you linked is a POS :)

Also please ignore the advice of TheBLOODYTOXIC, he has provided very mismatched advice to your issue, none of what he has said is relevant to this situation apart from getting a better stereo.

I hope this is helpful.

you're an idiot... I'm not even going to try. You don't need to run a power wire from your battery to your head unit....

I think that he thinks we are trying to install an amplifier, all I know is that I don't want him anywhere near my vehicle. :lol:

Sorry but im agreeing with nohuevos, I install car stereos all the time and you can pick up a wiring harness at wal mart and sometimes car radios have a universal adapter in them and you get a wiring harness for your car to a universal and it will be a plug in play very simple.. i have no idea what that dude was talking about hooking things up to your battery unless your hooking up a system then you need that but you really dont.. everything will be a plug and play. and plus the wiring harness has a 12V wires on it to power it from the harness so your dont need that extra power or else you will ruin things.

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Sorry but im agreeing with nohuevos, I install car stereos all the time and you can pick up a wiring harness at wal mart and sometimes car radios have a universal adapter in them and you get a wiring harness for your car to a universal and it will be a plug in play very simple.. i have no idea what that dude was talking about hooking things up to your battery unless your hooking up a system then you need that but you really dont.. everything will be a plug and play. and plus the wiring harness has a 12V wires on it to power it from the harness so your dont need that extra power or else you will ruin things.

Wow, I didn't know you could get auto spares in wal-mart, here in UK supermarkets don't sell spares, that's even easier then.

OK...I see that a lot of things are going on here. What I've gleaned so far is that I chose a crappy radio and I only need the OEM harness???

So as far as the radio goes...I really don't want to spend too much money. Can anyone tell me why the radio I chose sucked compared to the ones you recommended or offer cheaper recommendations?

That's all I'll ask for now...thanks for the help.

FX 8350 | MSI 650ti BOOST | Gigabyte 970A-UD3P | Corsair CX 430

Diablotek Evo | WD Caviar Green 1TB 

Linus Tech Tips Fan!

Alpine radios suck dont buy them but other than that get what you like Pioneer isn't to bad but like I said just get what you want in a radio.. you can use the OEM wiring harness and get a aftermarket one for your car that plugs into the OEM and then it plugs into your radio.. easy to install and it will be a plug and play

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520