TV/Monitor Buying Dilemma

Hello everyone,

For a while now I have been thinking about getting a either a monitor or a tv to upgrade my viewing experience. However, I am in a bit of a dilemma. There are a few criteria that I have in order to suit my needs, which in this case makes it very complicated for me to choose. Let me explain.

I currently have my laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad P1 – 1080p display) and a secondary display (An old Dell Monitor – 1680x1050 display) as my setup, which I use mostly for University homework and watching online content. I also have a PS4 which I frequently exchange with my laptop in order to play games. Now there are two options (can’t have both):

Option 1:
I buy a 55” TV that I hang on my wall to which I attach my PS4, or watch Netflix. I can then game at a distance by sitting on my bed. This in turn means that I cannot use my laptop with it in order to do homework (because I do that at my desk, which would be too close for such a large tv) which is quite a bummer, so I have to keep using my old monitor for that.

Option 2:
I buy a new monitor to replace to old one and attach both my laptop and PS4 to it. Then I do not have a big display to watch Netflix on, but that’s okay because I can also do that on my new monitor then.

This in itself is not a big problem. The problems lies in the specs I want. I am planning on buying the upcoming PS5, which support 4k HDR at 60 (or maybe even 120) Hz. Ideally I would like to buy a display that is able to project this kind of resolution, to get the most out of the PS5 experience. For a tv, this is not so much of a problem. However, if I would buy a monitor with this kind of resolution, my laptop would have a hard time driving it, because it only has a Nvidia Quadro P1000 (about as equivalent as a GTX 1050). I also want to consider 1440p at 60 Hz (or even 144 Hz), but since the PS4 Pro does not support 1440p (and apparently creates quite a hassle for those displays), I would expect that the PS5 won’t have it either.

I have no clue what would be the best in order to get the best out of this situation. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Budget would be a maximum of 500, which is about $550 US. 

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Consoles don't like 1440p, we don't know enough about the PS5 yet to know if it does support 1440p resolutions or not. The PS5 is set to run at 4k 120hz(or 8k 60hz) which is great and I would definitely recommend getting a display that matches that. A 4k 120hz gaming monitor would be well over $550, but you can find a 4k 120hz 50" or bigger tv for around your budget and depending on brand even a couple hundred less. With your budget I'd say the TV is the better option, as with the laptop you could just use the built in display or use your current monitor at your desk, maybe even buy a cheap 1080p 60hz monitor for around $70 to $100 if you don't like using the laptops display.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Thank you for your replies. I'd like to use the monitor in addition to the laptop screen so it's easier to multitask. That makes it easier to see multiple windows at once, without having to constantly switch between them or resize them.