Taming Windows update behavior

harrisonjr98

Hello all! I have a peculiar issue with Windows update behavior. I don't mind auto-updates themselves, they take place outside of active hours and it's nice to have the latest security fixes. My issue pertains more to the specific machine I'm having problems with, which is an older HP prebuilt that I use as an HTPC. I transplanted it into a new case and every time I start it up, it hangs on the UEFI splash screen letting me know that there's been a chassis intrusion (lol) until I skip past that screen. As a result, overnight windows updates while the machine is sleeping end up with my machine chilling in the pre-boot environment for any number of hours until I notice that it's on in my entertainment center.

I've scoured the Windows update settings - what I'm looking for is an option to just display when there's an update ready to go while I'm using the PC and ask what I want to do about it INSTEAD of aggressively forcing updates overnight. I see options to pause updates temporarily which is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any advice that might be able to point me in the right direction here!

1 minute ago, harrisonjr98 said:

Hello all! I have a peculiar issue with Windows update behavior. I don't mind auto-updates themselves, they take place outside of active hours and it's nice to have the latest security fixes. My issue pertains more to the specific machine I'm having problems with, which is an older HP prebuilt that I use as an HTPC. I transplanted it into a new case and every time I start it up, it hangs on the UEFI splash screen letting me know that there's been a chassis intrusion (lol) until I skip past that screen. As a result, overnight windows updates while the machine is sleeping end up with my machine chilling in the pre-boot environment for any number of hours until I notice that it's on in my entertainment center.

I've scoured the Windows update settings - what I'm looking for is an option to just display when there's an update ready to go while I'm using the PC and ask what I want to do about it INSTEAD of aggressively forcing updates overnight. I see options to pause updates temporarily which is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance for any advice that might be able to point me in the right direction here!

For starters, which version of Windows are you using? 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

On 5/5/2020 at 11:50 PM, TempestCatto said:

You should disable the chassis intrusion alarm in the BIOS.

I did, and then the next time it yelled at me for not using the original chassis fans lol. Will try and disable that as well.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:39 PM, Enderman said:

How to Prevent Windows 10 From Automatically Downloading Updates

THIS looks like exactly what I am trying to find. How did you get to this? It doesn't appear for me under Updates > Advanced Options. I do see a toggle to "show a notification when your pc requires a restart to finish updating" which I turned on.

1 hour ago, harrisonjr98 said:

I did, and then the next time it yelled at me for not using the original chassis fans lol. Will try and disable that as well.

THIS looks like exactly what I am trying to find. How did you get to this? It doesn't appear for me under Updates > Advanced Options. I do see a toggle to "show a notification when your pc requires a restart to finish updating" which I turned on.

Might be pro version only?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020