Cancel your 4K Netflix NOW - NVIDIA Shield TV Review

jakkuh_t

Was waiting for the 4k FireTV to go on sale so I can start going up to my 4k stuff from my Plex server. 

Would this be any better?

12 minutes ago, MrPigger said:

Was waiting for the 4k FireTV to go on sale so I can start going up to my 4k stuff from my Plex server. 

Would this be any better?

FTV2 Has better specs and is "older". No idea about the 4k support. I think it's only usable in certain apps. No idea if root helps.

I paid 20 USD for mine.

I have no hands-on experience with either the new or older versions of Shield, but to my understanding - they can actually act as a Plex Media Server?

I currently have a windows machine running PMS that I stream to a Plex App in my LG 4K TV running webOS. ( the same OLED tv Linus was demo'ing gsync with )

Even though the machine is strong enough to handle any buffering, I prefer direct streaming but unfortunately sometimes subtitles force it to go into transcode mode instead. I'm wondering, if I have a shield at the TV connection, and it pulls the media from a NAS instead, will it reduce overhead or perform any better? Since it is the actual local client being played, and not PMS ---> Plex client? 

• 4 months later...

I am considering it together with other options and I looked up AI Upscaling feature:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/shield-tv/ai-upscaling/

NOTE:

AI Upscaling is not available for the following types of content:

Video resolution is less than 480p
    Video frame rate higher than 30Hz
    Video content color space is RGB
AI Enhanced upscaling will fallback to “Enhanced” in these cases

Is framerate limitation something to consider in this case, when consuming Netflix or any other streaming services?

"Home" videos might be a problem though.