I really want to try linux but dont know where to start

Hi, Everyone

I really really want to try linux but I dont no where to start so I had these questions I use my PC for school, youtube, Lol, Music (spotify)

1.Wich distro to choose?

2.Are there drivers avalible for my specs (see sig)

3. I it realiable because I need it to work for school

4. How to use Microsoft Officeor What is the best alternative

5.Should/can I dual-boot and how (preferable different drives)

If you could anwer these questions and some tips I would be very very gratefull

Cyber023

CPU:   Intel I5 3570K @ 4,6 GHZ   -- MOBO: Asrock Z77-Extreme4 -- GPU: EVGA GTX 770 2GB -- PSU:Corsair TX750M -- R AM: 16 GB 1333 MHz -- HDD: 2x 2TB -- 1x 120 GB HyperX SSD -- AUDIO: Creative Audigy 2 -- CASE: Fractal Design R4

-- Actually Like Windows 8 --

I'd recommend you Linux - Mint

Libre office is alternative to MS Office

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

1. You have plenty of options, some of which are designed for stability (Debian), some for the bleeding edge (Arch), some built for you from the ground up (Gentoo), and some for basic use. Most, if not all, can be adapted and customized to your heart's content though. I would recommend Linux Mint (it has all the compatibility of Ubuntu without the drama).

I don't know about your specs specifically, but there should be drivers (usually open source and proprietary options).

Just as reliable as Windows.

I like LibreOffice, but there are other options such as OpenOffice that you can try.

Once you boot from a USB stick, you can choose to install the OS (there will be an icon on the desktop). There should be an option to dual-boot, and you can set custom partitions to set things up on different drives (you'll need to choose advanced install probably).

[spoiler=My Current PC]AMD FX-8320 @ 4.2 Ghz | Xigmatek Dark Knight Night Hawk II | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | 8GB Adata XPG V2 Silver 1600 Mhz RAM | Gigabyte 3X Windforce GTX 770 4GB @ 1.27 Ghz/7.25 Ghz | Rosewill Hive 550W Bronze PSU | Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | ASUS VS239H-P | Razer Deathadder 2013 Partlist

LTT Build-Off Thread: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35226-the-ltt-build-off-thread-no-building-required/

I would also recommend linux mint as im using it now :) and its reaaaaaaallly accessible Libre office is the standard alternative in linux to MS Office, but didn't MS just start offering office in the cloud, plus theres also google doc's, you can dual boot and there are plenty of guides out there but remember backup backup backup, as much as any linux user will begrudge saying it there are gonna be times when you might need windows (especially if you game) so a dual boot is always handy and you can do it across multiple drives. The only point about drivers is that linux gpu drivers have had a bit of a messy past but there going strong now you'll probably just have to install them yourself after install (easy enough plenty of guides also) as for the Audigy 2, not a clue but my SB X-Fi Xtreme works happy enough.

1: take one, install it, if you don't like it, get another, go from there, start with ubuntu or derivative (eg mint)

2: I see no immediate problems, though unsure what chipset your audio is using.

3: Linux is used everywhere, phones, routers, servers, TVs, fridges, satellites, its reliable

4: LibreOffice (this is a fork of OpenOffice, most features are the same)

5: Depends on your current drive setup, generally I advocate buying a cheap old sata HDD to try before going and attempting to mess with windows partitions, just gives a layer of safety.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

As your questions have already been answered: with LibreOffice, save as either .doc or .rtf for compatibility between MS Word. .docx is a painful format to work with, but LibreO can still read it. PDF exporting is also available by default.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

If you want to use a different drive for linux anyway I would recommend unplugging your windows drive when you install it. That way you wont get a boot menu (which in my experience tends to get screwed one way or another) but when rebooting you can just open your bios boot menu and tell it to boot from your other drive.

Randomly pick you flavor, download an iso and gogogo. If you no likey get a new flavor.

I'm for Ubuntu after having multiple issues with Mint. But you should test with LiveCDs first to find your favorite. Like said, LibreOffice is best alternative and you can install MS Office with Wine, like many windows games.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Well i did it but misclicked and formatted windows drive but Linux Mint works great Thanks!!

CPU:   Intel I5 3570K @ 4,6 GHZ   -- MOBO: Asrock Z77-Extreme4 -- GPU: EVGA GTX 770 2GB -- PSU:Corsair TX750M -- R AM: 16 GB 1333 MHz -- HDD: 2x 2TB -- 1x 120 GB HyperX SSD -- AUDIO: Creative Audigy 2 -- CASE: Fractal Design R4

-- Actually Like Windows 8 --