2080ti low utilization and low fps

kankleator

I just upgraded my 1070ti to a 2080ti. Basically my 2080 TI is not hitting 100% utilization on any games. It rarely goes passed 50%.

My Specs

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte 2080 ti
RAM - 32 GB 3200 mhz (2 16gb sticks)
MSI Gaming Plus x570 MOBO
650 Watt Seasonic Focus Gold rated

1080p 144hz monitor

My frame-rates arent particularly bad but they arent reaching 144 fps in games it should be. My gpu just isnt utilizing enough to get the 144 fps. I want enough fps for my monitors refresh rate... especially considering how much money I spent on this. I dont see why a 2080ti would have issue hitting 144hz

Solutions ive tried: Setting nvidia control panel to Prefer Maximum performance, Purging my graphics drivers and reinstalling fresh drivers. (solutions didnt work)

The only game ive played so far that actually 100% utilizes my GPU is CoD: Warzone. I actually get less FPS in less intensive games simply because my gpu is sitting at 30%-50% utilization.

My temps on my cpu are good and the cpu also never even reaches 50% utilization (some cores higher than others)

Temps on the GPU sit around 70c-75c full load. 1920 mhz core clock (boosted), 7000 mhz memory clock

One thing i'm noticing is my power unit is getting very hot to the touch. More-so then i've ever felt a power unit get. If I hold my hand directly to the PSU for a few seconds it starts to burn my hand a bit. Could my power unit not be providing enough power for the 2080 ti? Any other ideas? I really appreciate the help.

I don't think its thermal throttling. I really doubt its a CPU bottleneck but I wont disregard the idea. Im at a loss.

A few things you could try. If you are comfortable overclocking you could give that a try on your cpu. Your psu could be an issue but I dont think its likely. The main thing I would try is to increase you resolution whether in game or in nvidia control panel. Seems to me that your cpu might be bottle necking it. 

Edit, just saw that the psu is burning your hand, yeah that might be it.

My rig

Asus maximus z390

I9 9900k @ 5.2 Ghz 24/7 (5.4 Ghz benching) 

Evga RTX 3090 ftx ultra 

32GB Gskill trident z 3866 Mhz

1000 watt evga gold psu

All watercooled

8 minutes ago, Lonehelljumper said:

A few things you could try. If you are comfortable overclocking you could give that a try on your cpu. Your psu could be an issue but I dont think its likely. The main thing I would try is to increase you resolution whether in game or in nvidia control panel. Seems to me that your cpu might be bottle necking it. 

Edit, just saw that the psu is burning your hand, yeah that might be it.

First of all just like what you said oc the cpu

While the 3600 is a perfectly good cpu it just won't cut it for such high end beast

Second that PSU is indeed worrying how old is it ?? And 650 while theoretically is enough its probably drawing 650 all the time so it's being stressed 

And one more thing try updating the firmware and vbios to the card if you are comfortable doing so

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

11 hours ago, kankleator said:

My specs

Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte 2080 ti
1080p 144hz monitor

facepalm.jpg144hz is not something you can aim for with MANY games...your cpu/ram performance will be in your way it's normal...specially with AMD cpu...but happen also even on overclocked Intel ...that's why variable refresh rate monitors exist. Also, your card is WAY too powerful for rendering at such a low resolution that's why it's usage is sitting real low...even at 1440p many games still won't max it out...you just bought way too much gpu for your needs.

At least you won't run out of gpu performance for many years to come.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

10 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

First of all just like what you said oc the cpu

While the 3600 is a perfectly good cpu it just won't cut it for such high end beast

Second that PSU is indeed worrying how old is it ?? And 650 while theoretically is enough its probably drawing 650 all the time so it's being stressed 

And one more thing try updating the firmware and vbios to the card if you are comfortable doing so

Its a brand new Seasonic Gold+ I got on newegg, I'm just returning it for an 850w gold+ (its only like $20 more) so I can have ease of mind when overclocking, plus the temperature thing. Once that new PSU comes in ill try overclocking my 3600. What amd processor would be more appropriate for the 2080ti (except the 3950x, cant spend that much)?

3700x, 3900x? I'm still in the time window I could go exchange the 3600 for a more powerful cpu.

I originally got the 3600 since its so cheap with the intention of upgrading to the 4xxx amd series a little later thats been rumored to release sometime this year.

4 hours ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

facepalm.jpg144hz is not something you can aim for with MANY games...your cpu/ram performance will be in your way it's normal...specially with AMD cpu...but happen also even on overclocked Intel ...that's why variable refresh rate monitors exist. Also, your card is WAY too powerful for rendering at such a low resolution that's why it's usage is sitting real low...even at 1440p many games still won't max it out...you just bought way too much gpu for your needs.

At least you won't run out of gpu performance for many years to come.

I'm planning on upgrading to a 1440p monitor. So a higher resolution will actually increase my performance by putting more load on the GPU?

17 minutes ago, kankleator said:

3700x, 3900x? I'm still in the time window I could go exchange the 3600 for a more powerful cpu.

3700x is the ideal combo for it 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

55 minutes ago, kankleator said:

I'm planning on upgrading to a 1440p monitor. So a higher resolution will actually increase my performance by putting more load on the GPU?

No it will not increase your fps it will increase the load on your gpu and you'll get nicer/higher resolution frames...forget about 144hz in all your games it ain't happening....for nobody.

Sometimes it's the game optimization and code itself that will limit you, sometimes it's cpu speed....that's just how it is, get a variable refresh rate monitor and you'll see with one of those even 80 to 100fps will be buttery smooth.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR