Ethernet blocking file sharing

Here is my situation. I have a computer running plex with my media library on a share drive so i can add from other computers on the network. it double's as my home nas. When i connect my nas to my network via ethernet into an unmanaged switch into my router i am unable to access the share drive on any other computer. after hours of troubleshooting i just unplugged the ethernet and let it use built in wifi and now i can map my drives and folders and everything works fine on every device. The error i was getting when connected via ethernet was your device is configured correctly but the device i was trying to talk to was not responding. I'm new to networking. could someone please tell me what is going on?

Could be, firewall or antivirus blocking conection, yo can make ping between devices to make sure.

or try the app ACHAT freeware to stablish point to point conection via the app,  well, there are some workarounds to analyze conections.

49 minutes ago, Patrick82439 said:

Here is my situation. I have a computer running plex with my media library on a share drive so i can add from other computers on the network. it double's as my home nas. When i connect my nas to my network via ethernet into an unmanaged switch into my router i am unable to access the share drive on any other computer. after hours of troubleshooting i just unplugged the ethernet and let it use built in wifi and now i can map my drives and folders and everything works fine on every device. The error i was getting when connected via ethernet was your device is configured correctly but the device i was trying to talk to was not responding. I'm new to networking. could someone please tell me what is going on?

Just to clarify: When you introduced the unmanaged switch, that’s when the problem started? Do you need the unmanaged switch? If you do, can your other wired devices plug into it?

Try setting a static IP address outside of the DHCP pool for the computer in question.

Also, Windows considers a wired connection as different from a wireless one, despite both connecting through to the same router/modem. As a result, you need to make sure that file sharing permissions are set properly.

Yesterday i had my entire setup in one room. Both my nas pc and my main pc, the switch, and my router. I moved my entire setup to another room and thats when this problem started. Everything worked perfectly before. Now i can only access the share drive either when my nas pc is on wifi or when my main computet is connected to a vpn. Its weird i know.

Replying to help anyone resolving a similar issue. Apparently moving my router from one room to another created a "new" network or something. I have xfinity and had to go into the app on my phone and delete my nas name and forget it on the network because i had my nas name 2 different times on my network and im assuming both were trying to talk over each other? As i said, i'm new to networking so i dont know the proper terminology but deleting them both from my network via the app and renaming my nas and remapping my drive fixed the issue for me.

it would make sense if you had 2 routers and each had DHCP server enabled, then 2 networks would exist.

But unmanaged switch shouldn't have it's own DHCP server as an option even, right?

2 networks from 1 router is kinda strange, 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz should still use the same DHCP.