May the 4th, Be with you, Always

ShadowOnTheLand

Cross posted on reddit as well.

General Sebastian,

For years now you have served as my tech guru. Now I beg you to help me in my struggle against tech issues. I regret I am unable to present my computer to you in person, but my graphics card keeps crashing my system. My mission to RMA to XFX has failed, as the replacement card does the same crash. I have information vital to the restoration of my computer down below; Your tech skills will know how to retrieve it. You must help me solve my problem. This is my most desperate hour... Help me, Linus Sebastian, you are my only hope.

Basically, I bought an XFX RX 5600 XT RAW II from Best Buy just prior to the Covid-19 Apocolypse, right after I got my US Tax return. I was planning on upgrading to an AMD CPU as well, going from an Intel Core i7 6700k to a Ryzen 3600. Just a straight up mobo/cpu swap. So to prep to this CPU upgrade, I purchased said Graphics card. but I had a couple of strange crashes. Where my dual monitors would go to black, and the secondary monitor would turn green, and THEN the audio would go looping, or just distorted... Then it would reboot. But I wasn't sure what was going on, and I was replacing my CPU in less then a week anyways, so I didn't do anything about it.

New CPU and Mobo came, and I upgraded. Everything was going well for about 2 days, then the crashes returned. So I started to research, and basically did an entire system wipe and restore. Made sure that my mobo bios, and my graphics card BIOS was up to date. But the crashes persisted. So I did a full MemTest86 test for 36 hours just to make sure there was no RAM issues. There wasn't. By this point I figured it was a bad graphics card. So I looked into returning the card to Best Buy... No dice, I missed my return possibility by, literally, 1 day. Thankfully, even though I'm 41, I have a father who had a spare card to send me. So I started the RMA process as soon as I got his XFX RX 590 Fat Boy via Postal Service.

<Quirky Interlude music goes here>

https://youtu.be/iB2ofEck--8

A video of the crashes effects.

EDIT: I've Tested the PSU, the PSU is perfectly fine.

So, I send my card to XFX and they run diagnostics on it, and find nothing wrong. But for peace of mind they send me a "New" card. The "New" Card from XFX comes in the mail, and they sent me an "upgraded" card in the form of an XFX RX 5600XT THICC II PRO, which kind of annoyed me as that card is 299.00 USD retail, and the RAW II, is 320.00 USD retail... It's an upgrade they told me... I was, and still am skeptical about this statement. I left that call with a commitment from the tech that if I was unahppy with the "upgraded card" they would be happy to send a paid label and send me back the RAW II, that I had actually purchased. I gave it a good old college effort for the past week. The card keeps crashing my system. Screens go black, secondary monitor turns green, the audio loops or goes distorted until the system reboots itself as if nothing happens. So now I'm in this situation where the original card is gone... The RMA card isn't even the same card I purchased, I've requested a label to send this THICC II Pro back to them to get my RAW II back. But my fear is that the RAW II that comes back will still crash my system, and I'm just straight up out 320.00 USD+tax.

System Specifications:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3000MHZ

MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Windows 10: 10.0.18363 Build 18363

EDIT: Drivers are always updated to the current ones:  Radeon 20.4.2

TLDR: Bought Graphics Card: RMA'd it due to system crashes; RMA card does same system crashes; XFXSUPPORT claims card is perfect, but sent me replacement anyways for peace of mind and sends a different card with lower MSRP. Using a borrowed card in the mean time.

Sounds like a driver issue not an issue with the card. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

Sounds like a driver issue not an issue with the card. 

Pulled out the RX 5600 XT and installed an RX 590, no driver change, and sytem is 100% stable. Using the updated and current Drivers.

8 hours ago, ShadowOnTheLand said:

Cross posted on reddit as well.

General Sebastian,

For years now you have served as my tech guru. Now I beg you to help me in my struggle against tech issues. I regret I am unable to present my computer to you in person, but my graphics card keeps crashing my system. My mission to RMA to XFX has failed, as the replacement card does the same crash. I have information vital to the restoration of my computer down below; Your tech skills will know how to retrieve it. You must help me solve my problem. This is my most desperate hour... Help me, Linus Sebastian, you are my only hope.

Basically, I bought an XFX RX 5600 XT RAW II from Best Buy just prior to the Covid-19 Apocolypse, right after I got my US Tax return. I was planning on upgrading to an AMD CPU as well, going from an Intel Core i7 6700k to a Ryzen 3600. Just a straight up mobo/cpu swap. So to prep to this CPU upgrade, I purchased said Graphics card. but I had a couple of strange crashes. Where my dual monitors would go to black, and the secondary monitor would turn green, and THEN the audio would go looping, or just distorted... Then it would reboot. But I wasn't sure what was going on, and I was replacing my CPU in less then a week anyways, so I didn't do anything about it.

New CPU and Mobo came, and I upgraded. Everything was going well for about 2 days, then the crashes returned. So I started to research, and basically did an entire system wipe and restore. Made sure that my mobo bios, and my graphics card BIOS was up to date. But the crashes persisted. So I did a full MemTest86 test for 36 hours just to make sure there was no RAM issues. There wasn't. By this point I figured it was a bad graphics card. So I looked into returning the card to Best Buy... No dice, I missed my return possibility by, literally, 1 day. Thankfully, even though I'm 41, I have a father who had a spare card to send me. So I started the RMA process as soon as I got his XFX RX 590 Fat Boy via Postal Service.

<Interlude music goes here>

So, I send my card to XFX and they run diagnostics on it, and find nothing wrong. But for peace of mind they send me a "New" card. The "New" Card from XFX comes in the mail, and they sent me an "upgraded" card in the form of an XFX RX 5600XT THICC II PRO, which kind of annoyed me as that card is 299.00 USD retail, and the RAW II, is 320.00 USD retail... It's an upgrade they told me... I was, and still am skeptical about this statement. I left that call with a commitment from the tech that if I was unahppy with the "upgraded card" they would be happy to send a paid label and send me back the RAW II, that I had actually purchased. I gave it a good old college effort for the past week. The card keeps crashing my system. Screens go black, secondary monitor turns green, the audio loops or goes distorted until the system reboots itself as if nothing happens. So now I'm in this situation where the original card is gone... The RMA card isn't even the same card I purchased, I've requested a label to send this THICC II Pro back to them to get my RAW II back. But my fear is that the RAW II that comes back will still crash my system, and I'm just straight up out 320.00 USD+tax.

System Specifications:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600

RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3000MHZ

MOBO: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

Windows 10: 10.0.18363 Build 18363

EDIT: Drivers are always updated to the current ones:  Radeon 20.4.2

TLDR: Bought Graphics Card: RMA'd it due to system crashes; RMA card does same system crashes; XFXSUPPORT claims card is perfect, but sent me replacement anyways for peace of mind and sends a different card with lower MSRP. Using a borrowed card in the mean time.

Using the same psu for both builds? I'd say try a different psu just for the sake of testing. If you are having the same crash with different gpus / cpus ect they I'd suspect a part that they all had in common. 

My rig

Asus maximus z390

I9 9900k @ 5.2 Ghz 24/7 (5.4 Ghz benching) 

Evga RTX 3090 ftx ultra 

32GB Gskill trident z 3866 Mhz

1000 watt evga gold psu

All watercooled

4 hours ago, Lonehelljumper said:

Using the same psu for both builds? I'd say try a different psu just for the sake of testing. If you are having the same crash with different gpus / cpus ect they I'd suspect a part that they all had in common. 

Yeah, eVGA SuperNOVA 80+ 750 watt fully modular PSU, runs a RX590 just fine, prior to that a RX 480, and prior to that a GTX 970.

one would think that if it was a PSU issue then it would have difficulty driving cards that have higher power draw then the 5600xt. At least in my mind it plays out that way. The 590 has an 8+6 pin configuration, where the 5600xt had only an 8 pin