Should I upgrade?

Noix

Hi all,

Had my pc for a while now, and never really know if I should upgrade parts or not, with everything getting upgraded all the time. Been playing a lot of games lately (warzone, gta etc) and was also thinking of getting a 144hz monitor. Will the 1060 be able to handle 144hz and a 4k monitor or should I upgrade to something newer? Was also considering another ram stick but then dont know if its even necessary. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Current Specs -

0a5320841ff67de95a97c11712a48d86.png

Yes the gpu would be a good upgrade how much are you looking spend on one? 
then down the line if u want to upgrade the cpu you may need a mew motherboard 

6 minutes ago, ISHAJDM said:

Yes the gpu would be a good upgrade how much are you looking spend on one? 
then down the line if u want to upgrade the cpu you may need a mew motherboard 

Anything from around £300 I would be willing to spend. Im the the Uk aswell if that also helps with websites or costs.

2 minutes ago, Noix said:

Anything from around £300 I would be willing to spend. Im the the Uk aswell if that also helps with websites or costs.

depends on your usage are you not happy with your cpu and gpu or what it really depends

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

12 minutes ago, Noix said:

Hi all,

Had my pc for a while now, and never really know if I should upgrade parts or not, with everything getting upgraded all the time. Been playing a lot of games lately (warzone, gta etc) and was also thinking of getting a 144hz monitor. Will the 1060 be able to handle 144hz and a 4k monitor or should I upgrade to something newer? Was also considering another ram stick but then dont know if its even necessary. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Current Specs -

0a5320841ff67de95a97c11712a48d86.png

are you asking for 4k 144hz gaming or two screens one 4k 60hz and one for gaming 1080p 144hz ?

for 4k 144hz even the 2080 ti not enough

If you want high refresh rate gaming, don't go for 4K. Just upgrade to a 2060 or better and buy a high refresh rate 1440P monitor. There are some really good ones from Viewsonic and Viotek you can get for around 300-350. After doing that, i'd wait till Ryzen 4 drops and upgrade your processor to whatever your budget allows since that'll be the last AM4 chip. Your MOBO is fine, don't worry about upgrading it. After that, maybe a bigger SSD and a extra stick of ram. Upgrade your ram and SSD last though Do GPU and monitor first, than processor, than ram, and than get a bigger SSD (if you want).

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

depends on your usage are you not happy with your cpu and gpu or what it really depends

Im good with everything atm, but as Im looking to add a 144hz monitor I was just seeing If I needed to upgrade anything or if the specs I have now will work.

1 minute ago, YsGrandi said:

are you asking for 4k 144hz gaming or two screens one 4k 60hz and one for gaming 1080p 144hz ?

for 4k 144hz even the 2080 ti not enough

oh Yeah sorry, Id have two screens one 4k and then another 144hz probably just a 1920 x 1080 one.

1 minute ago, Noix said:

oh Yeah sorry, Id have two screens one 4k and then another 144hz probably just a 1920 x 1080 one.

You can get a decent high refresh rate monitor for 200 dollars and a 2060 for 300 dollars as well.

Yes you need to upgrade because the 1060 (I'm guessing it's the 6GB version) won't do two monitors. I mean you need to buy a completely new setup for what you're asking for.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

1 minute ago, Noix said:

Im good with everything atm, but as Im looking to add a 144hz monitor I was just seeing If I needed to upgrade anything or if the specs I have now will work.

i mean  a 1600x is decent at best but if you want 144hz at what i would assume e sport titles so here is the deal

if you only want a gpu the 5600xt is unbeatable in this price point 

but if you want a cpu and a gpu you will have to stretch a bit if you want  an  actual improvements so a 3600 and a 1660 super will be the way to go but its 350ish pounds (i think converting from dollars) and you wont be able to run the cpu with your current mobo so you decide really  

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Build Log: 

I’d go for the 1660ti as a great gpu for those games and maybe a 2060 if you have to money 

3 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

Yes you need to upgrade because the 1060 (I'm guessing it's the 6GB version) won't do two monitors. I mean you need to buy a completely new setup for what you're asking for.

Yeah its the 6gb version. Any upgrade suggestions?

5 minutes ago, ISHAJDM said:

I’d go for the 1660ti as a great gpu for those games and maybe a 2060 if you have to money 

I could get a GTX 1660 Ti 6GB for a similar price as a 2060 or is the 2060 still better?

Just now, Noix said:

I could get a GTX 1660 Ti 6GB for a similar price as a 2060 or is the 2060 still better?

for a similar price ?!?!?!

no definitely go for the 2060 or save money and get a 5600xt its not as good but will do the job and you wont spend as much 

Build Log: 

1 minute ago, TofuHaroto said:

for a similar price ?!?!?!

no definitely go for the 2060 or save money and get a 5600xt its not as good but will do the job and you wont spend as much 

Ah ok, and to reply from what you said before im not really a fan of having to upgrade my cpu if I dont 100% have too, as Im only really looking to add another monitor being 144hz. I still get decent fps in most games atm.

Just now, Noix said:

Ah ok, and to reply from what you said before im not really a fan of having to upgrade my cpu if I dont 100% have too, as Im only really looking to add another monitor being 144hz. I still get decent fps in most games atm.

you dont have to upgrade your cpu infact its not advised as you have an older chipset and the 1600x will perform just fine i  just said it was little bit better 

hope this helps :D

Build Log: 

2 minutes ago, Noix said:

Yeah its the 6gb version. Any upgrade suggestions?

RTX 2060S or the 5600XT for 144hz 1920x1080p gaming.

CPU: Ryzen 3600 or 2700X

RAM: 3200MHz CL16

Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk/ASUS ROG Strix B450 F-Gaming or if you're looking for an entry level X570, the Gigabyte Aorus Elite.

PSU: 650 80+ gold Seasonic, EVGA or Corsair.

"Tolerance is the lube that helps the dildo of dysfunction slip into the ass of a civilized society" - Plato 427-347 BC

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society" - Aristotle 384-322 BC

"Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment" - Lebiniz 1st of July 1646 - 14th of November 1716

2 minutes ago, F.E.A.R. said:

RTX 2060S or the 5600XT for 144hz 1920x1080p gaming.

CPU: Ryzen 3600 or 2700X

RAM: 3200MHz CL16

Mobo: MSI B450 Tomahawk/ASUS ROG Strix B450 F-Gaming or if you're looking for an entry level X570, the Gigabyte Aorus Elite.

PSU: 650 80+ gold Seasonic, EVGA or Corsair.

Im not looking to buy a completely new pc.. Im only wanting to add a 144hz 1920 x1080 monitor

Just now, Noix said:

Im not looking to buy a completely new pc.. Im only wanting to add a 144hz 1920 x1080 monitor

as i said the 5600xt should do 

and for the monitor there are probably some cheap va panels that are 144hz but it really depends can you link us some that you saw to see if they are decent 

Build Log: 

A new GPU will get you closer to 144fps, but your cpu will hold you back in most cases.

I wouldn't consider first or second generation Ryzen at this point for high refresh gaming.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

1 minute ago, Noix said:

Sorry. The 5600XT will do, if you're concerned about driver issues with AMD , than get RTX 2060 or the RTX 2060S. I'm sure you can find good cheap 144hz 1920x1080p monitors.

6 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

as i said the 5600xt should do 

and for the monitor there are probably some cheap va panels that are 144hz but it really depends can you link us some that you saw to see if they are decent 

Cheers for helping me out! 

This is one of the monitor as I was looking at - https://www.scan.co.uk/products/238-asus-tuf-gaming-vg249q-fhd-144hz-freesync-ips-gaming-monitor-1920x1080-1ms-dp-hdmi-vga

7 minutes ago, Noix said:

Tuf usually has some really good monitors but as some one said in this thread (forgot the name sorry) ViewSonic has some stunningly good options and AOC aswell since they aren't the OEM to their actual monitor's film etc they usually have some really cheap options as well 

Build Log: 

22 hours ago, TofuHaroto said:

Tuf usually has some really good monitors but as some one said in this thread (forgot the name sorry) ViewSonic has some stunningly good options and AOC aswell since they aren't the OEM to their actual monitor's film etc they usually have some really cheap options as well 

Hi mate, I've decided to sell the 4k monitor I currently own to go for a 144hz 1440p monitor instead, so was thinking of going for either of these two cards :

- Card 1 - card 2

Or if you have any other recommendations I could check out? Appreciate the help!