Vizio TV fix

WyattCrafty1

I have a 50'' vizio tv that suddenly stopped working. I think it might be something with the LCD itself, as the screen went all weird right before the tv died and the infamous vizio black screen of death appeared. if anybody has any suggestions on what it was, pleasa, tell me.

are you still getting power?

3 minutes ago, WyattCrafty1 said:

black screen of death

it'll turn on, stay on for a few seconds, and then what I assume is turning off, as the light in the lower left hand corner blinks and the sound dies.

Ive done this twice in the last 1.5 years (kids....TVs....bleh) to diagnose and try to fix.  The end results have had me toss both by the end of it.  If I was confident on the panel being dead, it would cost as much to ship and replace a panel as buying a new TV (especially VIZIO being low end, which is one of the ones I trashed).

Basically you need to look up your model number on YouTube and trouble shoot your specific model.  It can be things like:

Connector from "motherboard" loose

Ribbon cable frayed

Display dead

Backlights dead

If you have power, the power PCB wont be dead, but there are typically 2 other PCBs you have to troubleshoot on smart TVs behind the plastic.

I suggest you just find your model number and start googling from there.  I hope you have better luck than I.  Just tossed a 55" 4k TV yesterday I tried fixing lol.  Kid smacked it with a toy guitar..panel stopped working...panel more expensive to replace than buy a new TCL which I did.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

16 hours ago, WyattCrafty1 said:

it'll turn on

So you see the backlights lighting up, just nothing on the screen?  When it turns off can you see if the digital IR light still lit on the mainboard, where all of the stuff plugs into?

I would try just unplugging first, wait about 5 minutes then plug back in.

Try a different HDMI plug, obviously you will need to change the input on the TV itself by hitting the input button, then over and hitting enter

Past that, since your panel is not physically damaged (and assuming you see the backlight turning on) , then it is usually the T-con board or the main board.  The tcon is the cheapest fix, then the main board.  There is nothing else really to replace except the power, but you seem to be getting power.  and of course the LED strips, but since you said it looked weird, I would lean more towards the tcon.   

If you are good with a multimeter, you can check your voltages too, very easy, there is usually a little box next to where the plugs are on the board that you can see if you voltages are correct.  5v 12v 24v gnd, is what you normally would see.

Replacing the boards is very easy, replacing the leds requires you to basically tear the whole tv down.

When and if you take the back cover off, I would first just unplug and re-seat all of the wires and ribbon cables, sometimes that magically fixes the issue too.

27 minutes ago, TylerDurden! said:

So you see the backlights lighting up, just nothing on the screen?  When it turns off can you see if the digital IR light still lit on the mainboard, where all of the stuff plugs into?

I would try just unplugging first, wait about 5 minutes then plug back in.

Try a different HDMI plug, obviously you will need to change the input on the TV itself by hitting the input button, then over and hitting enter

Past that, since you panel is not physically damaged (and assuming you see the backlight turning on) , then it is usually the T-con board or the main board.  The tcon is the cheapest fix, then the main board.  There is nothing else really to replace except the power, but you seem to be getting power.  and of course the LED strips, but since you said it looked weird, I would lean more towards the tcon.   

If you are good with a multimeter, you can check your voltages too, very easy, there is usually a little box next to where the plugs are on the board that you can see if you voltages are correct.  5v 12v 24v is what gnd, is what you normally would see.

Replacing the boards is very easy, replacing the leds requires you to basically tear the whole tv down.

When and if you take the back cover off, I would first just unplug and re-seat all of the wires and ribbon cables, sometimes that magically fixes the issue too.

I do not see the backlight on when I turn it on, just the little IR light

then if you take off the back panel, I would check the wires going to the backlight to see if you are getting voltages  (This will usually only be for a moment of time, until the tv shuts off again, so you might have to do it a few times.   Depending on your model, the led power might be coming off the power board itself, the main board, or an individual LED driver board.  What is your tv model number?  

Getting power to the lights, but no lights turn on... then that is usually the LED strips.   I would replace the whole set as some replacement strips may be a slightly different hue (color temp), and it will make the color on your screen different around the different hued strip.

14 minutes ago, WyattCrafty1 said:

I do not see the backlight on

I haven't started on it yet, I was just asking for advice; however, I will get back to you on that when I start work on it (probably tomorrow)

On 5/4/2020 at 2:14 PM, TylerDurden! said:

then if you take off the back panel, I would check the wires going to the backlight to see if you are getting voltages  (This will usually only be for a moment of time, until the tv shuts off again, so you might have to do it a few times.   Depending on your model, the led power might be coming off the power board itself, the main board, or an individual LED driver board.  What is your tv model number?  

Getting power to the lights, but no lights turn on... then that is usually the LED strips.   I would replace the whole set as some replacement strips may be a slightly different hue (color temp), and it will make the color on your screen different around the different hued strip.

also, the screen went a green color with purple stripe-looking things on it.

32 minutes ago, WyattCrafty1 said:

also, the screen went a green color with purple stripe-looking things on it.

vertical or horizontal stripes? 

Vertical can be fixed, horizontal is the panel and cannot be fixed.  Vertical can be the panel too, but can sometimes be fixed by replacing the timing control board (tcon) or the main board if the tcon is built into it.  

We need the backlights to come on first though

i think maybe both. It's been a few days. Can I replace the panel if it is that?

5 hours ago, WyattCrafty1 said:

i think maybe both. It's been a few days. Can I replace the panel if it is that?

yes, if you could find one, and it would probably cost as much as the whole tv, so not really worth it. 

9 hours ago, TylerDurden! said:

yes, if you could find one, and it would probably cost as much as the whole tv, so not really worth it. 

ok but if I don't, will I just have to replace the TV, or could I check and see with a flashlight if the backlight is off to see where the stripes are going, horizontally or vertically?

7 hours ago, WyattCrafty1 said:

ok but if I don't, will I just have to replace the TV, or could I check and see with a flashlight if the backlight is off to see where the stripes are going, horizontally or vertically?

You could do the flashlight thing and see if you can see anything.  Depending on the tv model, what it is worth, cost of replacement parts and if the panel is good, then I would fix it

On 5/6/2020 at 5:16 PM, TylerDurden! said:

You could do the flashlight thing and see if you can see anything.  Depending on the tv model, what it is worth, cost of replacement parts and if the panel is good, then I would fix it

I looked at it with a flashlight, nothing, a shop light, nothing, I took off the back panel to look at the internals and I think it is the power board or panel, but I'm not sure as no one in my family can remember what way the stripes were facing.

the backlights won't turn on, either, so I think that 1. the backlight control board is bad. 2. either the panel or the PSU board is bad. or 3. there was a bad connection where the wires plug in.

5 hours ago, WyattCrafty1 said:

it's a d50u-d1.

all  of the boards for that model are very cheap on ebay  You can probably get the Main Board, Power Board, LED Board, T-Con all for around $60.  You can get a set of leds for $42.   If you are just going to throw parts as it, start with the LED driver board unless you get out a meter and check the voltages

Which voltages

19 hours ago, TylerDurden! said:

all  of the boards for that model are very cheap on ebay  You can probably get the Main Board, Power Board, LED Board, T-Con all for around $60.  You can get a set of leds for $42.   If you are just going to throw parts as it, start with the LED driver board unless you get out a meter and check the voltages

also, I found a set of boards with backlights included so I can get that

here's the link:

https://www.shopjimmy.com/vizio-d50u-d1-ltcwtqgs-tv-repair-parts-backlight-strip-combo.htm

1 hour ago, WyattCrafty1 said:

also, I found a set of boards with backlights included so I can get that

that is an awesome deal, grab it.    You could probably sell what you don't need and end up fixing your tv for free minus your time.

10 hours ago, TylerDurden! said:

that is an awesome deal, grab it.    You could probably sell what you don't need and end up fixing your tv for free minus your time.

I'll have to wait until we actually have money to use for this, as we don't get paid until the end of the month.