GB 2070 Super underperforming?

Hello,

I just upgraded my old GTX 970 to a beastly GB 2070 Super gaming OC 3X, but I don't get the same FPS in games as in the youtube videos or scores in sites. Benchmarks however, score how they should.

One weird thing is that my CPU is at 100% in almost all games. A bottleneck, you would say. But I have a i5-8600k @4.8Ghz, so a bottleneck seems odd to me. I might be wrong.

Then there's my friend, who also has a 2070 super and pairs it with an i7-7700. But he has about 10-20 more FPS than me in games, benchmark scores are the same (using superposition as benchmark). When playing BF5 we both have 100% CPU usage. My GPU however is only at 50-60 usage while his is at 70-80. In the witcher 3, he has 70% CPU usage and I have 100%. Also a 20 FPS difference (in the same areas, with the same graphics).

Does anyone here have any idea how/why this is happening.

Thanks in advance!

if you can, you should upgrade to a ryzen 5 3600 it will eliminate your bottleneck, you will need a new board as well tho. it will cost probably 120 dollars for a board and i think 150 for the r5 3600. i think it will be cheaper than upgrading to a better cpu on your current platform.

16 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

The 7700 is holding you back

I have the i5 8600k, my friend has the 7700 but he has higher fps for some reason.

Just now, LeSpook said:

I have the i5 8600k, my friend has the 7700 but he has higher fps for some reason.

More threads. I5s aren't enough for gaming in 2020 with high end cards

10 minutes ago, lamphouse99 said:

if you can, you should upgrade to a ryzen 5 3600 it will eliminate your bottleneck, you will need a new board as well tho. it will cost probably 120 dollars for a board and i think 150 for the r5 3600. i think it will be cheaper than upgrading to a better cpu on your current platform.

Well that's weird, because most people would say the i5-8600k should be better, definitely for gaming.

23 minutes ago, tomtompoperdom said:

Sounds like a bottleneck issue to me. Upgrade your cpu

Except that my friend with a worse CPU has Better fps, so he should also have a bottleneck.

Just now, LeSpook said:

Except that my friend with a worse CPU has Better fps, so he should also have a bottleneck.

His CPU is better, you've got it backwards. 6/6 CPUs are bottlenecks in 2020

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

More threads. I5s aren't enough for gaming in 2020 with high end cards

I looked the combo up, and nowhere did someone say this would bottleneck.

1 minute ago, 5x5 said:

His CPU is better, you've got it backwards. 6/6 CPUs are bottlenecks in 2020

Any idea which GPU won't get bottlenecked? Maybe a 2060 super or 5700xt?

Just now, LeSpook said:

I looked the combo up, and nowhere did someone say this would bottleneck.

You didn't ask in the right place. We haven't recommended an i5 for years. The Ryzen 5 models have always been the superior choice exactly because of what you are seeing. Consider getting a used 8700K

Just now, LeSpook said:

Any idea which GPU won't get bottlenecked? Maybe a 2060 super or 5700xt?

The 2060 Super no, the 5700 XT yes. It's the same tier as your 2070 Super

Just now, 5x5 said:

The 2060 Super no, the 5700 XT yes. It's the same tier as your 2070 Super

So the 5700xt wouldn't get bottlenecked by my it? Because I don't have money for a CPU upgrade.

Just now, LeSpook said:

So the 5700xt wouldn't get bottlenecked by my it? Because I don't have money for a CPU upgrade.

It will. The 2070 Super = 5700 XT

2060 Super = 5700 non XT

But your focus should be a 8700K or 9900K. And a good cooler and overclocking

2 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

It will. The 2070 Super = 5700 XT

2060 Super = 5700 non XT

But your focus should be a 8700K or 9900K. And a good cooler and overclocking

You're saying I can't upgrade my GPU to anything near a 2070 super without first upgrading my CPU to something that's costs 450 EUR?

1 minute ago, LeSpook said:

You're saying I can't upgrade my GPU to anything near a 2070 super without first upgrading my CPU to something that's costs 450 EUR?

Don't you already have a 2070S? It works, it just means your CPU will limit the card to 2060S performance so the point of the expensive GPU disappears. Minimum for a 2070S is a Ryzen 5 or i7

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Don't you already have a 2070S? It works, it just means your CPU will limit the card to 2060S performance so the point of the expensive GPU disappears. Minimum for a 2070S is a Ryzen 5 or i7

I do already have a 2070s but now I don't have any money left. I'm a student so yeah...

Well thanks for the help, guess I'll be gaming with a small bottleneck then.

2 minutes ago, LeSpook said:

I do already have a 2070s but now I don't have any money left. I'm a student so yeah...

Well thanks for the help, guess I'll be gaming with a small bottleneck then.

If you have a Z series board, get a decent CPU cooler and overclock as much as possible within safe limits

Just now, 5x5 said:

If you have a Z series board, get a decent CPU cooler and overclock as much as possible within safe limits

I have a water cooler and a z390 board so no problem there. Also I just looked up a benchmark between the r5 3600 and it 8600k, difference of 5 fps, so explain that. Because I still doubt there's a bottleneck.

4 minutes ago, _DeXTeR_ said:

Its not CPU problem specialy its not botlemeck issue, try to see are you drivers clear deleted and instaled new ones, also check Tempts and then try to see are your monitor connected properly also freesync and vsync issue and also check how many hrz and resoultuion is showing.

I already reinstalled my driver's, temperatures and clock speeds are fine, vsync is turned off in every game. Resolution is always 1080p.

Just now, LeSpook said:

I have a water cooler and a z390 board so no problem there. Also I just looked up a benchmark between the r5 3600 and it 8600k, difference of 5 fps, so explain that. Because I still doubt there's a bottleneck.

They're old. Recent windows updates and security patches impacted intel due to Spectre, meltdown, zombieload and the other 5-6 vulnerabilities that I can't keep track of. Each resulted in a slight penalty of a percent or two and it adds up

3 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

They're old. Recent windows updates and security patches impacted intel due to Spectre, meltdown, zombieload and the other 5-6 vulnerabilities that I can't keep track of. Each resulted in a slight penalty of a percent or two and it adds up

the vid is 8 months old. Is that too old? thought spectre was a little older

Just now, LeSpook said:

the vid is 8 months old. Is that too old? thought spectre was a little older

Spectre was the first. Eight more came after it and each patch took a month or two to come out

4 minutes ago, 5x5 said:

Spectre was the first. Eight more came after it and each patch took a month or two to come out

Okay well, I still have one question.

In unigine superposition, I got a good score, better than my friend's (with the 7700). And my CPU was only at 30% usage. No bottleneck here. So it might just be CPU intensive games. But that doesnt explain the difference between me and my friend's FPS.