Should I build new PC now? Or when next gen consoles release?

As my current gaming rig is getting quite outdated, I have been looking into building a new computer. But one of my tech friends told me I should wait to build it until after the next gen consoles come out.

He said that typically when the next gen consoles come out, because they're so low priced, it often makes PC parts cheaper as to keep up with cost to performance of the consoles.

He also said that I should also wait because then I would be able to build a PC off of what specs the next gen game developers recommend.

Was curious what others thought of this, and if they think this is true?

Should I just buy my parts now and build it? Or have others seen this before? And i should wait.

Waiting is always good. New tech in the future will always be faster and cheaper than current tech. 

The question is: can you wait? Or do you need an upgrade right now.

If your games are playable on your current PC then wait, if it's so frustrating to open a web page then just buy it now, a part list of your current PC would help us give a better recommendation.

Currently is actually a good time to buy because of the covid situation, u can get ryzen 5 2600 for around 120€ brand new atleast from where i live, im thinkin about building one in the following months.

Some EU input to Canadian IT :D 

28 minutes ago, Muhammad2126 said:

If your games are playable on your current PC then wait, if it's so frustrating to open a web page then just buy it now, a part list of your current PC would help us give a better recommendation.

Thank you for the quick responses!

So I built this computer originally back in 2012. The only thing I've upgraded was the graphics card, and that was because my old Gtx 560 wouldnt even launch some current games anymore 😅

Currently my system has:

- AMD FX 8350 8-core 4.0 ghz

- 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM

- GTX 1050 Ti w/ 4gb vram

- 250gb SSD

- I believe a Corsair 600w power supply?

- I can't remember what my motherboard is off the top of my head but, it's also very old haha.

-  ASUS 1080p 60hz monitor

It does still play most things fine to be honest, just typically have to keep modern Triple-A games at like low or medium.

I even stream and edit and what not on it perfectly fine. (Although, I can't stream at 1080p due to the processor hitting 100% and can't encode fast enough, so it just drops frames like crazy. But 720p is fine)

At this point honestly, she's done me good for 8 years, and I've just been wanting a nice new powerhouse.

14 minutes ago, nextg3n said:

Currently is actually a good time to buy because of the covid situation, u can get ryzen 5 2600 for around 120€ brand new atleast from where i live, im thinkin about building one in the following months.

That is actually a good point! I didnt even think of that actually. I'll probably look into that.

Honestly I thought the opposite would happen with prices due to production slowing down and everyone buying parts since they're stuck at home. So that's good to know 😃

7 hours ago, 7RAV35 said:

Thank you for the quick responses!

So I built this computer originally back in 2012. The only thing I've upgraded was the graphics card, and that was because my old Gtx 560 wouldnt even launch some current games anymore 😅

Currently my system has:

- AMD FX 8350 8-core 4.0 ghz

- 16gb DDR3 1600mhz RAM

- GTX 1050 Ti w/ 4gb vram

- 250gb SSD

- I believe a Corsair 600w power supply?

- I can't remember what my motherboard is off the top of my head but, it's also very old haha.

-  ASUS 1080p 60hz monitor

It does still play most things fine to be honest, just typically have to keep modern Triple-A games at like low or medium.

I even stream and edit and what not on it perfectly fine. (Although, I can't stream at 1080p due to the processor hitting 100% and can't encode fast enough, so it just drops frames like crazy. But 720p is fine)

At this point honestly, she's done me good for 8 years, and I've just been wanting a nice new powerhouse.

that PC is on the edge of what I'd consider usable

If I were you I'd upgrade for these parts now 

Ryzen 3600

b450 tomahawk max (best ~100$ motherboard)

16 GB DDR4-3600

RTX 2060 super

if you have the money, if you don't then I'd say put up with your current system until you save up for these parts.

of course that's what I would do because I believe any less of a jump is not worth it, you can do whatever you think best suites you.

edit: forgot to mention this but you can reuse pretty much all your other parts

19 minutes ago, Muhammad2126 said:

that PC is on the edge of what I'd consider usable

If I were you I'd upgrade for these parts now 

Ryzen 3600

b450 tomahawk max (best ~100$ motherboard)

16 GB DDR4-3600

RTX 2060 super

if you have the money, if you don't then I'd say put up with your current system until you save up for these parts.

of course that's what I would do because I believe any less of a jump is not worth it, you can do whatever you think best suites you.

edit: forgot to mention this but you can reuse pretty much all your other parts

Thank you for the suggestions! 😃 that actually looks like a solid build and is actually around what I was looking for in terms of power haha.

I do plan on either repurposing this older one, (like a server or something? Not sure, haven't decided yet), or to give it to a friend for cheap.

Either way, I do have the money right now saved for a computer, that's why I was more wondering if it would be worth waiting for the new consoles to come out. Like if it's actually a big jump in prices, then I feel like waiting an extra half a year wouldn't kill me. But if it's not gonna drop any significant amount, then I want my shiney new girl now haha.

Just figured I'd poke the brains of others and see what they thought.

He made is sound legit enough, but I haven't ever heard of PC parts dropping prices around next gen consoles launches, personally.

I really appreciate all the inputs! Thank you so much.

27 minutes ago, 7RAV35 said:

Thank you for the suggestions! 😃 that actually looks like a solid build and is actually around what I was looking for in terms of power haha.

I do plan on either repurposing this older one, (like a server or something? Not sure, haven't decided yet), or to give it to a friend for cheap.

Either way, I do have the money right now saved for a computer, that's why I was more wondering if it would be worth waiting for the new consoles to come out. Like if it's actually a big jump in prices, then I feel like waiting an extra half a year wouldn't kill me. But if it's not gonna drop any significant amount, then I want my shiney new girl now haha.

Just figured I'd poke the brains of others and see what they thought.

He made is sound legit enough, but I haven't ever heard of PC parts dropping prices around next gen consoles launches, personally.

I really appreciate all the inputs! Thank you so much.

you're welcome, I've got plenty of help from these forums so I'm glad I could help someone else

If you're not planing to reuse your old parts in the new builds I'd advise looking at this PSU tier list before picking one I'd go for 650 watts (anything higher is just overkill)

in terms of storage I would go for a 500 gb ssd -I personally like the sabrent rocket it's only 80$ which is a steal for an NVME drive (decent sata ssd cost the same)- and a 2 tb hard drive (if you're okay with defiling your PC with a hard drive :p) -I personally prefer seagate barracuda-