[HALP] Formatted HDD, lost memories, lost life

My worst nightmare just came true. I have an LG 32LN575S smart tv with an external drive plugged in (Toshiba Canvio Basics with Seagate ST9500325AS inside) and somebody (presumably accidentally) formatted it because of the DVR. My question would be that is there any way to recover the data stored on the drive? I had 3 NTFS partitions and I think the new ones are JFS and Ext3.

I will appreciate any help!

That title is amazing :P

You can try running a program to recover it, but it's all probably corrupted files at this point. If you do recover any, they'll be half broken most of the time.

You likely won't recover much, if any at all. Sorry for the horrible news :(

@Lala21

Hey. It sucks to lose so much important data  :(

You can get recovery programs (although almost all of them require you to buy the software, to recover the files completely). 

Google something like "recover lost data".

Here is a link to one software you could use:

http://quickdatarecoverypro.com/windows-file-recovery.php?gclid=CLbTg-mB3rwCFbPItAod5E4AFg

It will probably ask you to buy the software, in order to recover the data.

There "ways" *wink wink* to get certain software at *cough* discount... um... yeah  :lol:

I hope you get the data back in one piece

Elven

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

These recovery programs and only help so much. Formatting a hdd doesn't fully erase everything, but it does damage and screw around with it until the point that once you do recover it, it will probably be a jumbled mess. Worth a try but dont expect to get much or at all.

try plugging the drive into your pc and run a program called recuva. you might have a slim chance of getting a few things, it is worth a shot . Has worked for me before

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Recuva only supports NTFS and FAT :(

Recuva only supports NTFS and FAT :(

then convert it back to ntfs

i recovered all my files when my bro converted my ntfs hard drive to fat (it worked for me)

also as a side note recouva dosnt recover mkv files u have to specifically type in *.mkv to get them back

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

If you continue to try to read the drive you are putting your self even further out from being able to recover anything. At best its something a recovery company should try not you, assuming its data/files that are worth it, they have the tools to do it, but its going to cost you an arm and a leg, literally.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

please anyone reading this thread while its too late for the OP , please please please , back up any data thats important to you , hdd's are cheap as chips , you should allways have a minimum of two back ups , hdds have a 100% failure rate , a finite life span to begin with.

I've use Foremost to recover (or at least attempt to recover) some deleted png files. I gave up because my carelessness led to my system locking up trying to create over 500,000 recovered png files at once. Its really easy to use as long as you're careful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foremost_%28software%29

Foremost is available on Kali Linux Live distro.

+1 on using TestDisk/PhotoRec in recovering your partitions.http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Step_By_Step

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer