FreeNAS won't boot on system

I wanted to repurpose an old system to install a NAS system on it. Anytime I plug in my FreeNAS USB to the PC, when it boots, it hangs the entire system up no matter what and doesn't when the system normally boots into Windows. It has the latest BIOS, and any other Linux USB that I use except for FreeNAS boots (even a EFI only Windows USB where it says I need to use a BIOS only USB) but FreeNAS won't. I don't know if I should try PXE LAN, or whatnot. This USB I used to install Manjaro on my main system and FreeNAS actually boots in my main rig but not the other way around. Any ideas as to how to get it installed? And no, I don't have a CD to sacrifice to write a FreeNAS image on it.

I tried other USBs now and still to no success. Did the same in Rufus and dd in Manjaro and Windows but any time I try to plug in the USB, the BIOS hangs like if it doesn't like booting FreeBSD or FreeNAS at all but can do like Ubuntu Server and all that. I don't get it how this system does not like FreeNAS at all. My last resort is PXE but I yet dunno how to make a PXE server run the FreeNAS installer just fine. I could maybe use a USB as a boot USB onto my system but that doesn't seem like it might work still. Any clues still?

It seems the bootable image actually isn't bootable. Wipe the USB drive entirely, make sure you have the correct and non-corrupt image to copy to it, use dd on a Linux machine to copy it over. Or try Unetbootin if you want a GUI. Before the actual boot, go into the BIOS and see if the drive is actually recognised as a bootable drive. If not, fix the issue.

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

13 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

It seems the bootable image actually isn't bootable. Wipe the USB drive entirely, make sure you have the correct and non-corrupt image to copy to it, use dd on a Linux machine to copy it over. Or try Unetbootin if you want a GUI. Before the actual boot, go into the BIOS and see if the drive is actually recognised as a bootable drive. If not, fix the issue.

I just wiped it with Gnome-Disk in Manjaro and made it Fat32 and it shows up in the BIOS if its ina clean state. Unetbootin isn't available on Arch for some odd reason and SUSE is the one that comes with Manjaro. Weird is that the Windows USB that I used to install Windows works if the image is Windows but FreeNAS goes nope on it. Same with the other usb and all are 32 GB USBs. Difference being one is USB2 and other USB3. I even re-downloaded the FreeNAS image to make sure it ain't corrupted, flash it to my Windows USB, plug it in and same boot lockup with my keyboard not lighting up but does when it's disconnected

BSDs can't boot from a FAT or NTFS device. FreeNAS is not a Linux distro, it's based on BSD, so you need to format the USB drive to an FS a BSD understands, like ext2. If that's not available, try ext3, ext4 or jfs (in that order).

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)