CPU overheating after installing new RAM

Go to solution Solved by AeroMagnus,
9 hours ago, FastByte17 said:

Well the tower did get knocked a bit as I was trying to lift it, could there be a possible contact issue then?

Most likely, try reinstalling it or at least tightening the screws? 

Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded my RAM to 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 3200MHz. I had to enable XMP in order to get the advertised speed. However, after setting up my RAM I noticed that my CPU was operating under very hot temperatures. So much so that cod mw froze and crashed because of it. I decided to run MSI Afterburner to check what temperatures I was getting and the they were 100 degrees celcius with 100% load on just the lobby screen. I had no problems with older RAMs 2x 4GB 2133MHz. I am however using a the Intel's stock cooler on top of Intel Core i5-6400. Is it time to buy a new cooler? On Idle the temperature averages about 54 degrees.

Thank You

The temps shouldn't be that high, even with a stock cooler. Check to make sure that the CPU cooler fan is plugged in and spinning. You can try to turn XMP off to see if the temps will go down but I don't think turning on XMP would cause the CPU temps to be that high. 

7 minutes ago, FastByte17 said:

Hello Everyone,

I recently upgraded my RAM to 2x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 3200MHz. I had to enable XMP in order to get the advertised speed. However, after setting up my RAM I noticed that my CPU was operating under very hot temperatures. So much so that cod mw froze and crashed because of it. I decided to run MSI Afterburner to check what temperatures I was getting and the they were 100 degrees celcius with 100% load on just the lobby screen. I had no problems with older RAMs 2x 4GB 2133MHz. I am however using a the Intel's stock cooler on top of Intel Core i5-6400. Is it time to buy a new cooler? On Idle the temperature averages about 54 degrees.

Thank You

Did you move the cooler by any chance?

39 minutes ago, FastByte17 said:

Hello Everyone,

Thank You

Higher speed ram will push the CPU to operate the memory controller at a faster speed, or clock the memory lower, depending on what your BIOS does. Though that temperature is very suspect. The CPU should be below 30 at idle if the heatsink is installed correctly and the fan is spinning. It should still operate up to 70 degrees. The RAM for that is DDR4-1866/2133. XMP is will force the memory controller to be overclocked. You technically aren't supposed to be able to use XMP on non-K CPU's.

Open CPU-Z and check what the XMP profile is actually set to. Because if the base speed is already out of spec, then XMP will surely push it and might not even work without a better matching CPU clock speed.

If you continue to have problems, I'd suggest trying to get ahold of DDR4-2133 memory instead, or turn XMP off if works stable.

Either you knocked the cooler loose somehow or when you enabled xmp it also enabled MCE at an absurd voltage.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

8 hours ago, The_russian said:

The temps shouldn't be that high, even with a stock cooler. Check to make sure that the CPU cooler fan is plugged in and spinning. You can try to turn XMP off to see if the temps will go down but I don't think turning on XMP would cause the CPU temps to be that high. 

The CPU cooler is plugged in and spinning. I saw it and can hear it too. I turned the XMP off to check if there's any change but there isn't. The CPU is still reaching 100 degrees celcius. 

8 hours ago, AeroMagnus said:

Did you move the cooler by any chance?

Well the tower did get knocked a bit as I was trying to lift it, could there be a possible contact issue then?

7 hours ago, Kisai said:

Higher speed ram will push the CPU to operate the memory controller at a faster speed, or clock the memory lower, depending on what your BIOS does. Though that temperature is very suspect. The CPU should be below 30 at idle if the heatsink is installed correctly and the fan is spinning. It should still operate up to 70 degrees. The RAM for that is DDR4-1866/2133. XMP is will force the memory controller to be overclocked. You technically aren't supposed to be able to use XMP on non-K CPU's.

Open CPU-Z and check what the XMP profile is actually set to. Because if the base speed is already out of spec, then XMP will surely push it and might not even work without a better matching CPU clock speed.

If you continue to have problems, I'd suggest trying to get ahold of DDR4-2133 memory instead, or turn XMP off if works stable.

The motherboard that I have (Asus ROG Maximus Ranger VIII) does support 3200MHz. I did turn off the XMP and the speed is not 2400MHz. The temperatures remain unchanged.

8 hours ago, FastByte17 said:

The motherboard that I have (Asus ROG Maximus Ranger VIII) does support 3200MHz. I did turn off the XMP and the speed is not 2400MHz. The temperatures remain unchanged.

It doesn't matter of the MB supports it, the CPU has to support it, or rather the reverse, the memory has to support the CPU memory controller speed. So turning on XMP assumes it has an exact match, and Intel considers it an overclock.

zKor8egTuG68wSGX7VFXf8-970-80.png

This screenshot is from DDR4 2666 memory that supports DDR4 3200 ( https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/how-to-enable-xmp-ddr4-overclocking,6133.html )

Note that 3200 is explicitly an XMP timing that increases the voltage, but it's standard setting is actually 2666 without increasing it.

The memory installation is not causing the cpu to run hotter unless the memory is tall and blocks the cpu cooler air flow. 

You may want to check and remount the cpu cooler. It could be possible you simply bumped it and the thermal paste shifted allowing air bubbles..... things like that. Just because the fan spins does not mean the cooler is "all good"

9 hours ago, FastByte17 said:

On 5/3/2020 at 11:14 PM, AeroMagnus said:

Yes I tightened the screws again as the cooler was indeed a little loose and likely has a gap between the contacts. Pressing down and re-tightening the screws brought the temperatures back to normal.