Does Fingerprint Sensor have Life Expectancy?

Go to solution Solved by Light-Yagami,

As long as it's not heavily scratched (and I mean "deeper groves at a level 7" scratched), you've nothing to worry about. Battery will give out years before the fingerprint scanner will. 

The guy who bought a Samsung galaxy S8 off me last year says it's working as new (the fingerprint scanner), and it's been the main way to unlock the phone from day one. If you need reassurance 

I have a Fingerprint Sensor on my phone and I primarily use it to turn my phone on and it's a good alternative to the power button as the power button can get bricked or stuck after many times of use, happened with my last phone. But can the finger print sensor get broken after repeated use just like the physical buttons?

I don't mash my fingers on it or anything, it's on the back of my phone and my phone is 3 months old, and I press on it gently like touching the screen. So do I expect it to break at some point in a few years? (I understand that every electronics get broken, I'm asking if it'll die sooner than the phone itself)

My phone is Vivo Y19. (Not pro)

I don't think anyone ever tested that out, but for regular large readers it would be 5-10 years. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Rear mounted fingerprint sensors are all based on capacitive touchscreens, which are basically super precise versions of the touchscreen on the front of your phone. In other words, you can expect it to wear out at the same rate, and likely slower since you use it less, that your touchscreen wears out, and I haven't seen a touchscreen wear out since the days of resistive screens like the ones on the Nintendo DS. Basically barring an impact, drop or otherwise, that breaks something I wouldn't expect it to stop working any time soon.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

If your phone get dropped then it's hard to say the lifespan of your phone in the first hand. Further, every electronic component including any type of sensor has a finite lifetime. But, FP sensors are robust and they are designed to live longer than the phone it's attached with.

So, the lifespan of FP sensor cover a greater area and thet includes many if and buts. If the health of your phone is good then surely the FP is healthy too whch do not have any loose and moving parts.

As long as it's not heavily scratched (and I mean "deeper groves at a level 7" scratched), you've nothing to worry about. Battery will give out years before the fingerprint scanner will. 

The guy who bought a Samsung galaxy S8 off me last year says it's working as new (the fingerprint scanner), and it's been the main way to unlock the phone from day one. If you need reassurance 

1 hour ago, williamcll said:

I don't think anyone ever tested that out, but for regular large readers it would be 5-10 years. 

Do I need to keep it clean too? I mean what can I clean it with?

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

No moving parts

No fragile parts or high susceptibility to damage

No high power circuitry

IDK what you are worrying about...

Cuz it's sounds (and is) too good, because buttons gets damaged and it is a good alternative which as you said is also durable! I tend to doubt too goo things

4 minutes ago, Mr.Stork said:

Do I need to keep it clean too? I mean what can I clean it with?

They're sealed units, clean it with whatever you want. It will be fine as long as you aren't soaking your phone in a strong acid for hours.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Just now, BobVonBob said:

They're sealed units, clean it with whatever you want. It will be fine as long as you aren't soaking your phone in a strong acid for hours.

Thanks for the answer! :)

Thanks for the informative and quick answers everyone! Really appreciate it! :)