New to mechanical, any suggestions?

Kuc

Hey guys

its time for me to buy a new keyboard, i have been using a razer deathadder for years but its starting to get worn out.

Im thinking a full size mechanical keyboard, preferably of a sturdy quality, because i dont plan on switching for some years. 

i dont really care about RGB and price should not be to big of an issue, cuz im willing to spend a bit on something i will be using for years.

A big problem however is that i have no prior experience with mechanical and thus do not know what switches i would like.

i will use the keyboard mainly for gaming but will also be using it for uni work.

the only thing about the switches is that it should not be to loud, for when im chatting online

Thanks for the help in advance

Highly recommend you stay away from Cherry MX switches. They are industry standard but are some of the worst ones you can buy brand-new from a big brand.

I would also highly recommend you build your own board, but if you aren't comfortable with that (it's very simple, especially if you have a hotswap PCB), there are some good off-the-shelf boards that don't use MX switches.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I use a Logitech keyboard with MX Brown switches. I've been very satisfied with them. I don't like red-like switches, and blues are just obnoxious. If you're buying an MX keyboard, buy browns. Anything else, those blacks, whites and whatnot Razer offers are just spinoffs of regular mx switches and go to extremes in their respective areas. I really hate that MX switches are somehow "the best" and "industry standard", because they're really not and you pay premium for brand. I got my keyboard on sale, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

I heard Roamer G switches are pretty good.. There's a video on LTT channel, comparing a few types. Here's the link: 

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Highly recommend you stay away from Cherry MX switches. They are industry standard but are some of the worst ones you can buy brand-new from a big brand.

Eh they can be alright sometimes, if you get a retool batch. 

Ok, but do you guys have a recomendation for a keyboard?

im not so fond of the idea of making my own keyboard