In dire need for some help with my WIFI

Hey there guys,

I've had some pretty heavy lag spikes for the past few months, mostly in Games like CS:GO, it would spike up to around 300ms and have a package loss of around 10-20%

I need to connect over WIFI because I'm sadly not allowed to pass a cable literally 20 cm through the floor...

So ... then i got a bit frustrated and did some testing.

I tried it on other devices in my network which seem to not have any problems.

I tried swapping to another router I had laying around which didn't change anything either.

So i concluded it must be the WiFi dongle i've been using.

It was a TP-Link TL-WN823N, which only had 300Mbit/s anyway, so i decided to buy a 

TP-Link AC1300 Archer T3U.

I've been stuck trying to get anything to work the past 2 days, the dongle works on any other device i try it on (Also Windows 10 machines)

But if i try to connect it either:

1.Disconnects the Device immediately (only happens when it connects to the 5Gz band)

2.Disconnects after a few minutes of use ( or atleast switches to "No Internet available")

3.Stays connected long enough but gives me pings of around 200ms constantly (seems to be between router and dongle because the latency is seen on the ping of the Standard Gateway)

Well ... i hope someone one here has an idea, what i could try, i've pretty much did everything i know.

I deleted the driver, tried different versions from the manufacturers website but still nothing. 

If you need any further information i'll try to provide it as soon as possible

I take it the router is what is under the floor and is the one you swapped out?  I’m wondering if it’s a generational issue.  That 5ghz thing is indicative of the 5ghz band not working for some reason, either because it has penetration problems or lack of signal problems of another type.  I do know of one old school trick that may not help you:  Really old school WiFi A.  Nobody uses it because it is dirt slow, but because no one uses it the band tends to be clear and because it’s lower freq it has better penetration than some.  Might not be fast enough though.  Might also still not penetrate.  Gah.  Unless it’s higher freq than B.  I need to check.  Blank space in the brain bank.  WiFi a and b use the same protocol but are on different frequencies.  For a while a lot of cheap routers wouldn’t do a at all and would only do b/g

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

I take it the router is what is under the floor and is the one you swapped out?  I’m wondering if it’s a generational issue.  That 5ghz thing is indicative of the 5ghz band not working for some reason, either because it has penetration problems or lack of signal problems of another type.  I do know of one old school trick that may not help you:  Really old school WiFi A.  Nobody uses it because it is dirt slow, but because no one uses it the band tends to be clear and because it’s lower freq it has better penetration than some.  Might not be fast enough though.  Might also still not penetrate.  Gah.  Unless it’s higher freq than B.  I need to check.  Blank space in the brain bank.

The 5Ghz is working fine on my Phone and any other device i try it on.

And i really don't think its a penetration issue, the router is on top of a Shelf and i'm sitting directly above it (even put the pc right over that spot on the floor)

Also it's not the thickest floor ever :P

13 minutes ago, Cyphco said:

The 5Ghz is working fine on my Phone and any other device i try it on.

And i really don't think its a penetration issue, the router is on top of a Shelf and i'm sitting directly above it (even put the pc right over that spot on the floor)

Also it's not the thickest floor ever :P

I’m not there and I can’t see radio waves anyway, so even if was I couldn’t know.  You asked for ideas.  One more idea is that if the various receivers and transmitters are different generations they would have to default to the lowest common denominator for communication and the newer hardware might not be able to do that very well.  Emphasis on might.  Which transmitters and receivers you are using starts to matter.  Your phone will have different (and possibly more advanced, though that is unknown to me) equipment.  One more idea: It could be a prosessing issue in the machine itself as well. This seems low probability to me but it’s not impossible.

UPDATE:

oh, one more: signal shadow.  It might possibly be that due to the specific location of the computer receiver and the router signal isn’t reaching specifically because it IS close.

Edited by Bombastinator
Any other possibility added

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

My opinion? Get a PCI/PCIE Wi-Fi adapter. I've had nothing but terrible experiences with USB adapters, cheap or expensive.

Whether it's random disconnects, low datarate, bad reception or badly-written drivers that cause BSoD's. I just hate the things and don't even bother with them anymore.