Ryzen 7 3800X Editting PC upgrade crashing

Go to solution Solved by ERP157,

Alrighty, so I did a fresh install of windows on a different drive with no effect.  Used the DDU to wipe and then reinstall with no effect.  So I got really frustrated and pulled a really silly financial decision.  I went out and bought a 2070 super, MSI Gaming X.  Everything works perfectly.  Better than perfect cause its a great upgrade as well.  Seems like at the end of the day it was a GPU issue.  Basically have a whole new computer at this point.  haha.  But I really don't mind that. lol.

First post on here guys.  Not totally new to PC building but you'll certainly be more knowledgeable that I am.  So please install your wisdom.

Problem

After upgrading the CPU and MB this system is incredibly slow, unstable, and crashes all the time doing the most random things.  I feel like I have updated every bit of software available with no effect.  I reinstalled windows with no effect.  I am having a very hard time describing what is happening, my lingo knowledge doesn't cover this.  But essentially my computer is not really using the CPU....at all... even during applications when it totally should be.  What have I done wrong?  Any thoughts are helpful.  At my wits end.

From what I can witness monitoring the hardware, the issue seems to be in the CPU.  I can especially see this when I am in Premier Pro.  Scrubbing basically doesn't work, and when I go to export a 4K file the cpu doesn't ramp up.  It just sits there, idling, doing nothing.  At best it will hit 100% for a few seconds completely randomly, but generally hover around 10% (I attached a picture of this which shows the cpu graph during exporting a 4K file, 4 minute video file wants to take over an hour to export).  I have to stress that it is not thermal throttling as it has yet to exceed 60 degrees Celsius.  

Sometimes I can get a game running, but it will generally crash within 10-15 minutes of play.  Usually crashes if I alt-tab out of a game.  

Programs will become unresponsive if I click on too many things too fast, including File Explorer...

Other random thing that is happening is sometimes when the system is about to crash the system monitor shows the GPU at -1%.  Not sure if it is related but I thought I would add it in.

PC Specs

Windows 10 Pro Version 1909

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x (no OC currently) (Part of Upgrade)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

MB: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi with latest BIOS (7B93v16) (Part of Upgrade)

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB (no OC currently) with 20.4.2 Radeon Software

RAM: 32GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO @ 3000mhz

Drives: OS drive - Samsung 960evo M.2

Kingston 480gb SSD

WD Black 6tb

PSU: EVGA 750 G3

4 case fans

Again I'm having a super hard time explaining this issue.  Ask all the questions all I'll do my best to answer them.  Thanks in advance for the help.

IMG_8653.HEIC

2 hours ago, ERP157 said:

First post on here guys.  Not totally new to PC building but you'll certainly be more knowledgeable that I am.  So please install your wisdom.

Problem

After upgrading the CPU and MB this system is incredibly slow, unstable, and crashes all the time doing the most random things.  I feel like I have updated every bit of software available with no effect.  I reinstalled windows with no effect.  I am having a very hard time describing what is happening, my lingo knowledge doesn't cover this.  But essentially my computer is not really using the CPU....at all... even during applications when it totally should be.  What have I done wrong?  Any thoughts are helpful.  At my wits end.

From what I can witness monitoring the hardware, the issue seems to be in the CPU.  I can especially see this when I am in Premier Pro.  Scrubbing basically doesn't work, and when I go to export a 4K file the cpu doesn't ramp up.  It just sits there, idling, doing nothing.  At best it will hit 100% for a few seconds completely randomly, but generally hover around 10% (I attached a picture of this which shows the cpu graph during exporting a 4K file, 4 minute video file wants to take over an hour to export).  I have to stress that it is not thermal throttling as it has yet to exceed 60 degrees Celsius.  

Sometimes I can get a game running, but it will generally crash within 10-15 minutes of play.  Usually crashes if I alt-tab out of a game.  

Programs will become unresponsive if I click on too many things too fast, including File Explorer...

Other random thing that is happening is sometimes when the system is about to crash the system monitor shows the GPU at -1%.  Not sure if it is related but I thought I would add it in.

PC Specs

Windows 10 Pro Version 1909

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x (no OC currently) (Part of Upgrade)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

MB: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wifi with latest BIOS (7B93v16) (Part of Upgrade)

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 8GB (no OC currently) with 20.4.2 Radeon Software

RAM: 32GB (4x4) Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO @ 3000mhz

Drives: OS drive - Samsung 960evo M.2

Kingston 480gb SSD

WD Black 6tb

PSU: EVGA 750 G3

4 case fans

Again I'm having a super hard time explaining this issue.  Ask all the questions all I'll do my best to answer them.  Thanks in advance for the help.

IMG_8653.HEIC 1.03 MB · 2 downloads

Run Cinebench R20 and post back your results.

2 hours ago, LordAbolition said:

Run Cinebench R20 and post back your results.

Scored 4694.  It also had the CPU pinned at 100% the whole time.  Has me scratching my head even more.

Cinebench.PNG

Update:

Seemed to isolate a drive issue.  Removed the drive from the computer and now tasks that I expect to are using 100% CPU (like 4K video exports).  But the computer still crashes at total random moments.  Sometimes under full load, like a video export, or right after a boot up launching start up programs.  It has crashed at least 30 times today whilst trying to trouble shoot this.  Haven't had a chance to test it with a game yet as the seemly faulty drive was the one I store all my games on. (a Kingston 480gb 2.5" SSD)

14 minutes ago, ERP157 said:

Update:

Seemed to isolate a drive issue.  Removed the drive from the computer and now tasks that I expect to are using 100% CPU (like 4K video exports).  But the computer still crashes at total random moments.  Sometimes under full load, like a video export, or right after a boot up launching start up programs.  It has crashed at least 30 times today whilst trying to trouble shoot this.  Haven't had a chance to test it with a game yet as the seemly faulty drive was the one I store all my games on. (a Kingston 480gb 2.5" SSD)

The Cpu and board are not digging the 4x4 memory configuration. If you are running stock (auto) which is fine, I recommend increasing the memory voltage until the issue subsides. (1.20v is stock for 2133, maybe try 1.30v)

Also, to aid memory stability, you can increase the SOC voltage. up to 1.1v should be ok for daily use.

You can also do some testing by removing 2 memory sticks, and run just 2 in A2 and B2 slots (2nd and 4th from cpu) and see if that helps. (yes I know you need more memory, this is for testing purposes only).

____ 

After re-read of OP, I see 3000mhz. Yes definately likely the issue running 4x4 32GB. If using 1.35v XMP, try 1.45v and increase SOC to 1.10v. 

Edited by ShrimpBrime
corrections and update

On 4/30/2020 at 9:32 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

After re-read of OP, I see 3000mhz. Yes definately likely the issue running 4x4 32GB. If using 1.35v XMP, try 1.45v and increase SOC to 1.10v. 

Thus far this is working with 4x4 installed.  Thanks so much!  I will update if that changes.  Is there any potential risk with increasing the volts like this?

On 4/30/2020 at 9:32 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Update:  Spoke too soon.  It passed all my testing but then crashed again a few hours later launching a game.  Then again at the reboot.  Removed 2 memory sticks as you suggested and the system seems to be stable again.  How can I make it stable with all 4 sticks?

7 hours ago, ERP157 said:

Update:  Spoke too soon.  It passed all my testing but then crashed again a few hours later launching a game.  Then again at the reboot.  Removed 2 memory sticks as you suggested and the system seems to be stable again.  How can I make it stable with all 4 sticks?

You can run a lower frequency. 

Try 2933mhz instead

On 5/2/2020 at 9:52 AM, ShrimpBrime said:

You can run a lower frequency. 

Try 2933mhz instead

So far this is working with the 4x4.  Will update if that changes

Sooooo, I am still having instability issues.  Less frequent but still happening.  Today multiple times.  Fallout 76 has just caused it to freeze about 6 times in a row after random amounts of play time, but never more than 20 minutes.

It also doesn't seem to matter if I am running 2 sticks or 4 sticks.  The same instability issues exist.

So at the 2933 frequency, what are the timings and voltage set to?

Glad to hear you've gained stability. Perhaps we can get more. ^

10 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

So at the 2933 frequency, what are the timings and voltage set to?

Glad to hear you've gained stability. Perhaps we can get more. ^

15-17-17-35 voltage is 1.45 and SOC is 1.1

some more stability is nice but it’s still nearly unusable some days. 😕 thanks for all your help though. I really appreciate it. 

3 hours ago, ERP157 said:

15-17-17-35 voltage is 1.45 and SOC is 1.1

some more stability is nice but it’s still nearly unusable some days. 😕 thanks for all your help though. I really appreciate it. 

Welcome.

Perhaps loosen the timings.

Try 16-18-18, but change one at a time.

On 5/9/2020 at 12:12 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Welcome.

Perhaps loosen the timings.

Try 16-18-18, but change one at a time.

So I've been trying this with no success yet. But I haven't changed timings in the past thought so I want to make sure I am changing the right settings?  What are the exact names of the timing to change?  Cause there seems to be more variables in the BIOS than the sticks say.

Also, although it will still crash randomly, I can always get it to crash whilst playing games like Fallout 76 and Steep.  And when it does crash randomly I can usually get it to ctrl alt delete before its fully done.  At that point it usually displays a -1% GPU and in the performance tab it is not longer actively monitoring the system (as if it is individually frozen).

58 minutes ago, ERP157 said:

So I've been trying this with no success yet. But I haven't changed timings in the past thought so I want to make sure I am changing the right settings?  What are the exact names of the timing to change?  Cause there seems to be more variables in the BIOS than the sticks say.

Also, although it will still crash randomly, I can always get it to crash whilst playing games like Fallout 76 and Steep.  And when it does crash randomly I can usually get it to ctrl alt delete before its fully done.  At that point it usually displays a -1% GPU and in the performance tab it is not longer actively monitoring the system (as if it is individually frozen).

The important one's to change are basically the ones you see on the sticker.

I am assuming the sticks are XMP CL 15-17-17-35-x 1.35v

What's next? How can we get Odd timing memory to agree with this memory controller?

Try one notch lower frequency below 2933mhz. What 2866? (1433mhz)

On 5/11/2020 at 8:35 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

The important one's to change are basically the ones you see on the sticker.

I am assuming the sticks are XMP CL 15-17-17-35-x 1.35v

What's next? How can we get Odd timing memory to agree with this memory controller?

Try one notch lower frequency below 2933mhz. What 2866? (1433mhz)

I tried a few other frequencies and had no change either.

I am still pluggin away at different combinations.  But I have to ask myself, I use this PC for work, do I just get a different ram kit?  This is definitely costing me time.

1 hour ago, ERP157 said:

I tried a few other frequencies and had no change either.

I am still pluggin away at different combinations.  But I have to ask myself, I use this PC for work, do I just get a different ram kit?  This is definitely costing me time.

That is entirely up to you. 

Would look for 3200 CL 16 would be a better match up.

19 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

That is entirely up to you. 

Would look for 3200 CL 16 would be a better match up.

Alrighty.  I may honestly just do that and see if I see an improvement as I am still having issues whilst fiddling with the timings.

So I bought a 2x16gb kit at the 3200 CL16 that you recommended and it has been working flawlessly since.  I did still have to set voltage to 1.45 and SOC to 1.1 for the system to allow 3200 to boot.

2 hours ago, ERP157 said:

So I bought a 2x16gb kit at the 3200 CL16 that you recommended and it has been working flawlessly since.  I did still have to set voltage to 1.45 and SOC to 1.1 for the system to allow 3200 to boot.

Oh that's great to hear! Yea sometimes it takes a little user intervention and tweaking, sometimes not. Glad you got it up and running like you need it.

On 5/19/2020 at 10:41 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Oh that's great to hear! Yea sometimes it takes a little user intervention and tweaking, sometimes not. Glad you got it up and running like you need it.

Well I can't believe Im saying this again, but it is back again.  A few days of zero issues and couldn't force it to happen with the usual processes.  Now its happening a few minutes after rebooting, every single time. 🤦🏼‍♂️

At this point I have replaced MB, CPU, and RAM.  Basically have a whole new computer...

Edited by ERP157

1 hour ago, ERP157 said:

Well I can't believe Im saying this again, but it is back again.  A few days of zero issues and couldn't force it to happen with the usual processes.  Now its happening a few minutes after rebooting, every single time. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Gah. Now what to do?

Try a clear cmos, redo the settings you needed.

This time change power down mode to disabled.

On 5/21/2020 at 5:01 PM, ShrimpBrime said:

Gah. Now what to do?

Try a clear cmos, redo the settings you needed.

This time change power down mode to disabled.

So I am hesitant at this point to say this, however, so far this is working.

1 minute ago, ERP157 said:

So I am hesitant at this point to say this, however, so far this is working.

.......................Ssshhh, don't say that too loud the PC might hear it.

Hope it stays that way!!