8700 to Q9000 cpu upgrade advice

Go to solution Solved by 68EC000,

Thanks for the quick response

Since my P8700 is Socket P 1066Mhz 3MB cache 25w TDP

I'll take a punt and purchase the Q9000 @ 2.0Ghz with 1066 Mhz FSB 6MB cache 45W as its the lowest spec quad core socket p cpu which would give me 4c/4t

you can also get a Q9100 @2.26 GHz 12MB cache 45w TDP (£50),   QX9300 @2.5 GHz 12MB cache 45w TDP (£60)  these have higher clock speeds and more cache but consume a lot more heat and battery power and may not work and its not really worth spending too much if your not not pushing the cpu much.

If it dont work then i can always put the P8700 back in, as the SSD would be more than enough to give the system a boost.

Hi

I have a older laptop Precision m4400

P8700

6Gb Ram

250Gb 5,400rpm

Fx 770m

win 7 x64

9.5v PSU adapter

Im about to upgrade to a Kingston 250gb SSD, and move to Linux Mint,  but ive realised I can pick up a Q9000 cpu for about £30

since i was going to apply to TIM to both the cpu and gpu, i might as well upgrade to a Q9000.

Im mostly going to be web browsing Firefox and maybe a bit of light 720p video edting Handbrake, Avidemux

Would the upgrade be any benefit, I know its quad core, but its clocked lower 2.0Ghz against the 8700 2.53 Ghz

also should i overclock the Q9000 to 2.53 Ghz  and would i need a more powerful PSU adapter

Thanks

First - check what the BIOS supports. Then, check which is the highest end CPU you can put in it. A Q9400 or even Q9550 would be ideal

28 minutes ago, 68EC000 said:

Hi

I have a older laptop Precision m4400

P8700

6Gb Ram

250Gb 5,400rpm

Fx 770m

win 7 x64

9.5v PSU adapter

Im about to upgrade to a Kingston 250gb SSD, and move to Linux Mint,  but ive realised I can pick up a Q9000 cpu for about £30

since i was going to apply to TIM to both the cpu and gpu, i might as well upgrade to a Q9000.

Im mostly going to be web browsing Firefox and maybe a bit of light 720p video edting Handbrake, Avidemux

Would the upgrade be any benefit, I know its quad core, but its clocked lower 2.0Ghz against the 8700 2.53 Ghz

also should i overclock the Q9000 to 2.53 Ghz  and would i need a more powerful PSU adapter

Thanks

Gonna be honest, I didn't even know that CPU existed. Might have to snag one of those.

I'm not sure you can overclock mobile core2, but if you can figure something out, go for it!

My memory is the Q series CPUs required special motherboards.  It’s possible only intel made them.  I don’t recall the specifics and I even had a q series chip.  It was a long time ago.  I do remember I had to get a specific motherboard to make it work and the only producer was intel.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Thanks for the quick response

Since my P8700 is Socket P 1066Mhz 3MB cache 25w TDP

I'll take a punt and purchase the Q9000 @ 2.0Ghz with 1066 Mhz FSB 6MB cache 45W as its the lowest spec quad core socket p cpu which would give me 4c/4t

you can also get a Q9100 @2.26 GHz 12MB cache 45w TDP (£50),   QX9300 @2.5 GHz 12MB cache 45w TDP (£60)  these have higher clock speeds and more cache but consume a lot more heat and battery power and may not work and its not really worth spending too much if your not not pushing the cpu much.

If it dont work then i can always put the P8700 back in, as the SSD would be more than enough to give the system a boost.