Is my case fan biffed or am I just stupid?

thorinthemornin

04EGTHxNqy8AO7OAb7arpPkcKhtGX1w8oJZiuJenKVJoVmg7pIkHWBgLHwEU-19IfEZZXacsN2Qfk07ursxDS7_FRigVpHa0IargQYECPg=s4032

This is my case, the kolink observatory. (branded as CIT raider) A case that's infamously average for airflow. Three front fans and one one in the back. 

anyway the three on the front; I assumed they are intake fans right but the bottom fan of the column is cool (as I imagine it should be) the middle is lukewarm and the top fan (highlighted in image) makes the glass in front of it stupid hot while gaming. 

If that's an intake fan why is that area getting so warm? Is it possible that's an exhaust fan? 

Anyway whatever the case would some top fans be the best solution for my average airflow?

Thanks 

Sincerely,

An retardo 

13 hours ago, thorinthemornin said:

anyway the three on the front; I assumed they are intake fans right but the bottom fan of the column is cool (as I imagine it should be) the middle is lukewarm and the top fan (highlighted in image) makes the glass in front of it stupid hot while gaming. 

If that's an intake fan why is that area getting so warm? Is it possible that's an exhaust fan? 

Nope. It's because the fan is recirculating warm air in the case generated by your CPU cooler. 

Move your fans to the other side of the case rails, and I bet you wont have that issue anymore ;) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

34 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Nope. It's because the fan is recirculating warm air in the case generated by your CPU cooler. 

Move your fans to the other side of the case rails, and I bet you wont have that issue anymore ;) 

Without sounding too stupid... is the case rail the thing that the fans are mounted to?

You were right about it not being exhaust, I took the side panel off and all four fans are intake fans. 

Meaning right now I have 3 intake fans in the front and one intake in the back and zero exhaust fans. 

Is the optimal solution to switch my back fan to an exhaust fan and putting in two more intake fans at the top for positive air pressure?

4 minutes ago, thorinthemornin said:

Without sounding too stupid... is the case rail the thing that the fans are mounted to?

Correct :) here's an example:

Define-R6-BKO_14-1-810x810.jpg

4 minutes ago, thorinthemornin said:

Is the optimal solution to switch my back fan to an exhaust fan and putting in two more intake fans at the top for positive air pressure?

Not yet. By moving the fans to the other side of the case rails (meaning they're on the "inside" of the case) they should actually be able to pull air in from the side vents much more effectively and NOT recirculate hot air. Previously they were so close to the front panel glass they couldnt get air effectively, so they were using it from wherever they could. Meanwhile warm air wasn't really being moved anywhere so it lingered in the case. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Correct :) here's an example:

Define-R6-BKO_14-1-810x810.jpg

Not yet. By moving the fans to the other side of the case rails (meaning they're on the "inside" of the case) they should actually be able to pull air in from the side vents much more effectively and NOT recirculate hot air. Previously they were so close to the front panel glass they couldnt get air effectively, so they were using it from wherever they could. Meanwhile warm air wasn't really being moved anywhere so it lingered in the case. 

oh that looks so simple. I never knew the fans could just be moved like that. I suppose it'll look a bit janky being behind the rail but it's not there for looks. That's really simple actually, thank you :) 

do you recommend the exhaust layout I mentioned after I move the fans?

1 minute ago, thorinthemornin said:

do you recommend the exhaust layout I mentioned after I move the fans?

If you're still having issues, then yes, adding more exhaust fans will help keep air moving through the case and not having hot air linger in your system. I always recommend trying the free options first though, assuming you dont already have additional fans to put at the top. 

4 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

If you're still having issues, then yes, adding more exhaust fans will help keep air moving through the case and not having hot air linger in your system. I always recommend trying the free options first though, assuming you dont already have additional fans to put at the top. 

okay great I'm going to remount the fans first and then if it's still bad I'm going to change one into an exhaust and stick in two more intake 

thanks man, this forum is so much nicer than most 

never mind I found the chassis fan pins. it's by the lithi battery

still an retardo 

check your motherboard manual kids