under $300-$400 very small computer

loler920a

Hey linus forums, I'm back again calling for help. I need help building a super small computer that is able to do basic stuff such. That can handle a humid/hot work environment. Budget is 300-400 including OS. SRY that this criteria may be a hard cookie but it's for my grands and uncles. Also a side note it has to last a good few years without my maintenance. All money goes to computer and OS. If you have any questions just ask and I'll answer them as soon as I can. Thanks in advance. 

I'm thinking of it being an APU build that runs modern games well for my cuz's that live on the othersidde too.

All their doing is browsing and such?

I'd go NUC and mount it to the back of the monitor.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Hey linus forums, I'm back again calling for help. I need help building a super small computer that is able to do basic stuff such. That can handle a humid/hot work environment. Budget is 300-400 including OS. SRY that this criteria may be a hard cookie but it's for my grands and uncles. Also a side note it has to last a good few years without my maintenance. All money goes to computer and OS. If you have any questions just ask and I'll answer them as soon as I can. Thanks in advance. 

I'm thinking of it being an APU build that runs modern games well for my cuz's that live on the othersidde too.

Why does it have to be small? Small is generally more expensive.

When you say hot/humid environment do you mean tropical without a/c?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

like @dizmo said, I would go with an intel NUC with an i3. Their newest model has a 2.5" hard drive mount, so you won't have to buy some stupid msata drive. It'll cost less than 400$ total, and will be small, quiet (no fan at all, just a passive heatsink) and more than powerful enough. Heck it'll probably cost you less than building a similar build yourself with wi-fi and all. 

Here's the link to the i3 nuc with a 2.5" hard drive mount: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DisplayPort-i3-4010U-Consumer-BOXD34010WYKH1/dp/B00HOJAVDG/

So that's 290$, + you'll want to spend 40$ on ram, and the rest on a 50$ hard drive. 

like @dizmo said, I would go with an intel NUC with an i3. Their newest model has a 2.5" hard drive mount, so you won't have to buy some stupid msata drive. It'll cost less than 400$ total, and will be small, quiet (no fan at all, just a passive heatsink) and more than powerful enough. Heck it'll probably cost you less than building a similar build yourself with wi-fi and all. 

Here's the link to the i3 nuc with a 2.5" hard drive mount: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DisplayPort-i3-4010U-Consumer-BOXD34010WYKH1/dp/B00HOJAVDG/

So that's 290$, + you'll want to spend 40$ on ram, and the rest on a 50$ hard drive. 

Yups.

However, this is the kit that I'd go for. http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DN2820FYKH-Celeron-N2820-support/dp/B00HVKLSVC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392963380&sr=8-3&keywords=celeron+nuc

Yeah, I know. "ZOMG NOT A CELERON!?"

Before I hear that from like 10 people, it's not really a huge issue when you're talking about browsing and light applications. For his budget and use load, it makes perfect sense. They're no that slow.

Also it's $155 with build in WiFi. Add an SSD for $65, RAM for $40 (if you have a family member who loves tabs go with 8gb or install a very low resource browser for them), Windows for $80 and bam. Done. $350.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Yups.

However, this is the kit that I'd go for. http://www.amazon.com/Intel-DN2820FYKH-Celeron-N2820-support/dp/B00HVKLSVC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392963380&sr=8-3&keywords=celeron+nuc

Yeah, I know. "ZOMG NOT A CELERON!?"

Before I hear that from like 10 people, it's not really a huge issue when you're talking about browsing and light applications. For his budget and use load, it makes perfect sense. They're no that slow.

Also it's $155 with build in WiFi. Add an SSD for $65, RAM for $40 (if you have a family member who loves tabs go with 8gb or install a very low resource browser for them), Windows for $80 and bam. Done. $350.

actually come to think of it, a laptop is a much better solution. It's small compared to a desktop (not as small as a nuc), can be carried around anywhere, and for 350$ you can easily get some decent i3 laptops. The windows license is included of course, and there's no hassle. You could even get a used i5 laptop off ebay for 350$

I'd go with a laptop not the NUC. For reasons stated above. Building your own PC for $400 isnt worth it you will spend loads of that on things such as Optical Drives, Wi-Fi or Wireless Adaptor etc.