Can I install an SSD in place of CD ROM

Bunty
Go to solution Solved by Spotty,
40 minutes ago, Bunty said:

So I was wondering if I can use that cd rom sata cable along with it's supply to install a SSD.

Yes you can. Just unplug the CDROM and plug in the SSD using the same power and data cables.

It might help to use double sided tape to mount the SSD in the case if there aren't any proper 2.5" drive mounts, but that's optional. 

Hi everybody a noob here!

I have a Dell desktop (Dell optiplex 7010).

It has two hard disks slots and two CD ROM slots. my harddisk slots are full already. So I was wondering if I can use that cd rom sata cable along with it's supply to install a SSD.

Would it be compatible?

Would it cause any issues?

Thanks for helping guys!

14 minutes ago, Bunty said:

Hi everybody a noob here!

I have a Dell desktop (Dell optiplex 7010).

It has two hard disks slots and two CD ROM slots. my harddisk slots are full already. So I was wondering if I can use that cd rom sata cable along with it's supply to install a SSD.

Would it be compatible?

Would it cause any issues?

Thanks for helping guys!

Im Not sure but I highly doubt it. Don't listen to me though, in this area I know next to nothing.

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

40 minutes ago, Bunty said:

So I was wondering if I can use that cd rom sata cable along with it's supply to install a SSD.

Yes you can. Just unplug the CDROM and plug in the SSD using the same power and data cables.

It might help to use double sided tape to mount the SSD in the case if there aren't any proper 2.5" drive mounts, but that's optional. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

28 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Okay thank you so much!
About mounting SSD, Do i have to keep it in a case? Can't I just put it in any empty space?

57 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Im Not sure but I highly doubt it. Don't listen to me though, in this area I know next to nothing.

No probs! Thanks for informin