Possible CPU bottleneck?

Hey!

My problem is that my CPU is capping 100% during games(specs later on the post).  Games I mostly play are: Fortnite, Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2, Arma 3, and Call of Duty War Zone. 

The issue started first showing on Fortnite, massive lag and stuttering. Next in Destiny 2, I was playing while I had one tab of Chrome open on the background, the same lag and stuttering.

Same issue with War Zone.

I noticed that sometimes even using Chrome with 5+ tabs sometimes causes stuttering in Windows. 

I've tried cleaning up RAM and some optimization-softwares. Nothing helps.

While playing Fortnite, the CPU caps at 100% while GPU is at 10-30%.

I really don't know anymore what should I do.

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 3 2200G

GTX 1660 6gb

16gb RAM

Asrock B450M 

500Gb sATA and 500Gb m.2 SSD

2Tb HDD

550W PSU (old af, so I think it's time to upgrade)

Samsung CRG5 27" 240GHz screen (tried using it on 240GHz, then lagging started, dropped to 120GHz, still lagging)

yeah ryzen 3 2200g can't really keep up with a 1660. it's a 4 core 4 thread cpu not really designed for intense gaming.

for now, make sure you have ram in slots 2 and 4 and xmp enabled in bios.

if you're still not happy with the performance, maybe it's time to upgrade.

6 minutes ago, Texi said:

Hey!

My problem is that my CPU is capping 100% during games(specs later on the post).  Games I mostly play are: Fortnite, Elder Scrolls Online, Destiny 2, Arma 3, and Call of Duty War Zone. 

The issue started first showing on Fortnite, massive lag and stuttering. Next in Destiny 2, I was playing while I had one tab of Chrome open on the background, the same lag and stuttering.

Same issue with War Zone.

I noticed that sometimes even using Chrome with 5+ tabs sometimes causes stuttering in Windows. 

I've tried cleaning up RAM and some optimization-softwares. Nothing helps.

While playing Fortnite, the CPU caps at 100% while GPU is at 10-30%.

I really don't know anymore what should I do.

Here are my specs:

Ryzen 3 2200G

GTX 1660 6gb

16gb RAM

Asrock B450M 

500Gb sATA and 500Gb m.2 SSD

2Tb HDD

550W PSU (old af, so I think it's time to upgrade)

Samsung CRG5 27" 240GHz screen (tried using it on 240GHz, then lagging started, dropped to 120GHz, still lagging)

Yeah, the 2200G is gonna be bottlenecking that gpu, it is on zen plus archetecture and is a 4 core low powered budget processor. The 1600af would be a great upgrade to that.

Laptop: HP Spectre x360 13t, i7 8565u with 16 gigs, 512 gig  nvme ssd, UHD 620 4k

Other laptop: Acer Chromebook cb3 431 with 4 gigs, celeron n3060 with hd 400 and 16 gigs eMMC soon to be a minecraft server?

Remeber to tag people or else they wont see your post.

If you used monitoring software and saw that GPU usage isn't 99% that's clearly a bottleneck

there are a few things you can do to alleviate that bottleneck.

1.- overclock your CPU and RAM (if you haven't already)

2.- turn down CPU intensive settings such as draw distance, geometry, number of cars/PEDs on the game.

3.- increase GPU intensive settings, which are pretty much the ones I didn't include in my last point, some examples are:

resolution

texture quality

anisotropic filtering

shadows

reflexions

AO or ambient oclussion

AA or antialiasing

this won't increase the framerate but at least you'll take advantage of your current GPU and get better graphics without any performance impact

Thanks for the answers! 

Do I need to re-install windows if I only change CPU? Is it sort of plug-n-play or do I need to do anything else?

Hmmm, i do have almost the same exact setup before upgrading my cpu to 3600 though. I never tried other game u listed besides fortnite and pubg but well those two are working fine with me even though the cpu utilization is as high as possible (about 80-95%) and even 10+tab of chrome never caused a lag and stutter for me (only chrome and some music player). Maybe clean install windows or turning off vsync will help your problems or if not upgrading your cpu is also good as it is limiting your usecase now. And as far as i know, no, you don't need to re-install windows if only changing the CPU.

Thanks again for answers. What about overclocking? Is it possible to narrow the gap between the CPU and GPU, just overclocking CPU?

21 hours ago, Texi said:

Thanks again for answers. What about overclocking? Is it possible to narrow the gap between the CPU and GPU, just overclocking CPU?

Technically yes it can, but only a small differences (for 2200G). In your case the CPU is definitely the limiting point, i suggest buying a 1600AF or 3600 if you are playing many mmo game as it helps with load time and stutters with many player.