Just setup UnRAID, getting slow transfer rate, looking for windows optimisations

Justin_

Hey guys

I just set up an UnRAID box with 12*3TB (2xparity and 10xdata) 7200 RPM SAS HDDs in a Dell MD1000 shelf connected to an HP DL360e Gen8 server.

This server setup is linked to my desktop computer over gigabit home networking.

Using TeraCopy when I first initialize a transfer I get about 920Mb rate for the first ~12GB, then it drops down to about 320Mb

I know Windows has a lot of overhead on network transfers, but is this on par with what I should expect and is there a good way to optimise this?

Thanks guys

Please "Quote" me if you want me to see your response.

Do you have a cache drive?

unraid parity is pretty slow on its own.

I think there is a read modify write that speeds this up aswell.

Also Id rpbaoby go freenas, or proxmox or anouther os that uses a more traditional raid system, those are normally much faster, as you get get more than one disks speed at once.

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you have a cache drive?

unraid parity is pretty slow on its own.

I think there is a read modify write that speeds this up aswell.

Also Id rpbaoby go freenas, or proxmox or anouther os that uses a more traditional raid system, those are normally much faster, as you get get more than one disks speed at once.

I don't currently have a cache drive in the system

Good to know

I will look into that then

I got it for features that those platforms do not use. Long term slow speed is not a problem, its just a bit annoying right now when i'm trying to move over 20+TB of files.

Just now, Justin_ said:

I don't currently have a cache drive in the system

Good to know

I will look into that then

I got it for features that those platforms do not use. Long term slow speed is not a problem, its just a bit annoying right now when i'm trying to move over 20+TB of files.

You can get the same features on unraid on other oses, gui is a bit different though.

Or you can use something like zfs on unraid, but its a bit of command line stuff.

I just changed to the other parity calculation method and now I am running at ~600Mb. Not all the way back up. But hey, that's almost double the speed I was getting.

Thanks

Guess there is no reason to upgrade past gigabit right now unless I throw in an SSD for caching