LED/RGB Fans

Taintedmind
Go to solution Solved by jctappel67,

I use Corsair LL120 fans in my rig.

I love them, but wiring can be a bit of a pain since Corsair opted for proprietary headers leading to the RGB controller...

My g/f is looking for LED/RGB fans for her computer and I'm not exactly proficient w/the subject/topic.  I prefer top of the line hardware, so I am fine w/Noctua, BeQuiet, etc.  If there're any recommendations that're top of the line/high end, please let me know.  We're looking for all 120mm fans, since her case maxes out w/8 120mm fans.  I prefer 140mm, but I can't max out the airflow w/it.  I want 8 fans + Phanteks Neon strips for her case.

If there're any controllers you all would also recommend, please let me know.  I'm not impressed w/ASUS Aura Sync w/my LED/RGB RAM, Motherboard and Graphics Card as of now, so it would be nice to separate them; thanks for any useful info.

Data Sheet - Panzer-S Fan Sizes.pdf

Primary

CPU:      i9-10900k 3.7-5.3GHz (10th gen)

GPU:      EVGA RTX 3080ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming 12gb

MB:         ASUS RoG Maximus XIII Hero (ATX)

RAM:      64gb (4x16) DDR4-3200MHz G.Skill TridentZ Silver/Black (CL16)

HD:         1x 8TB Corsair MP400 NVMe PCIe 3.0 (SSD)

2x 16TB Seagate Exos 7200rpm (HDD)

E-HD:     12TB WD

PSU:       EVGA 1000w G2, 80+ Gold (modular)

UPS:       900w CyberPower

Display:   ASUS 27” 1440p/270Hz IPS 0.5ms (XG27AQM)

Aorus 27" 1440p/165Hz IPS 1ms (FI27Q-P) iGPU

KeyB:      EVGA Z15 (wired)

Mouse:    Logitech G-502 Hero (400/600/800/1000)

Headset: JBL Quantum ONE Gaming Headset

Case:      Cooler Master MasterCase H500P Mesh (ATX)

Other:     XB-1 Wireless Controller Adapter w/Controller

NPET H01 Gaming Mouse Bungee Cord Holder w/4 USB Ports

Gaming Computer Specs.pdf

So you aren't bound to what your mobo uses? Are you more about RGB or ARGB? Does controller need to be USB or does remove/on-device controls do?

CoolerMaster, Corsair, Deepcool, Thermaltake and FractalDesign are top ones with RGB while bQ and Noctua are more towards performance over bling.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

So you aren't bound to what your mobo uses? Are you more about RGB or ARGB? Does controller need to be USB or does remove/on-device controls do?

CoolerMaster, Corsair, Deepcool, Thermaltake and FractalDesign are top ones with RGB while bQ and Noctua are more towards performance over bling.

She's lookin more for aRGB, but I prefer a controller that isn't integrated into the ASUS Motherboard.  I prefer the unit go through the USB, but either will do as long as it works and isn't glitchy/weak.  I would prefer fans w/a ring around them and the light goes onto the fans as well, instead of one or the other.

If you could/would recommend/link specific ones, that'd be great!

Primary

11 hours ago, Taintedmind said:

I would recommend Thermaltake's Pure Plus Premium 120mm RGB fans (three pack):        https://www.bestbuy.com/site/thermaltake-pure-plus-12-led-rgb-triple-pack-radiator-fan-tt-premium-edition-120mm-case-cooling-fan-kit-with-rgb-lighting-black/6339072.p?skuId=6339072

Zoom in on Front Zoom. Thermaltake - Pure Plus 12 LED RGB (Triple Pack) Radiator Fan TT Premium Edition 120mm Case Cooling Fan Kit with RGB Lighting - Black.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

13 hours ago, Taintedmind said:

She's lookin more for aRGB, but I prefer a controller that isn't integrated into the ASUS Motherboard.  I prefer the unit go through the USB, but either will do as long as it works and isn't glitchy/weak.  I would prefer fans w/a ring around them and the light goes onto the fans as well, instead of one or the other.

Sadly RGB isn't my thing, so recommending specific ones is nope. I can only recommend brands and suggest that you try to find reviews or different options. There aren't that many after all.

A/RGB is really bad compatibility-wise if you look under the surface. So since you aren't going for motherboards compatibility, the options are down to Corsair iCUE, NZXT CAM and Thermaltake RGB Plus. AFAIK. Most of the others do rely in motherboard technology or use either on-device buttons (CoolerMaster and Fractal Design etc.) on remote (Deepcool, many cheaper stuff like upHere). There's also Asus ROG Terminal (or something along those lines), which would give Aura control to non-Asus boards and non-ARGB boards. Expensive as it comes with 2x LED strips. Though positive thing is that I think ARGB is inter-compatible  between brands. Not 100% about this, but since the connectors are same, it should work (I'd love to test this, but don't have funds for it).

(Yay for this being stored, my internet cut for 8h just when I was about submit.)

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I love them, but wiring can be a bit of a pain since Corsair opted for proprietary headers leading to the RGB controller...

F@H    EOC

On 4/25/2020 at 5:47 PM, jctappel67 said:

I've looked into them and decided to use them w/my setup - I'm goin to purchase 9 of them, 8 which'll go onto the case (including the bottom), then the 9th will go onto the Hyper 212 - Black Edition.  Thinkin about usin either the Corsair LED/RGB Strips (CORSAIR CL-8930002 RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit) or the Phanteks NEON Digital-RGB LED Strip Combo Set.

I'm not sure if they'll work w/the controller, but I love how they look.  They have the same look as the lights, instead of individual LEDs shining through the strips, like Corsair does.  Do you know if they'll work w/the controller or not?

Primary

2 hours ago, Taintedmind said:

I've looked into them and decided to use them w/my setup - I'm goin to purchase 9 of them, 8 which'll go onto the case (including the bottom), then the 9th will go onto the Hyper 212 - Black Edition.  Thinkin about usin either the Corsair LED/RGB Strips (CORSAIR CL-8930002 RGB LED Lighting PRO Expansion Kit) or the Phanteks NEON Digital-RGB LED Strip Combo Set.

I'm not sure if they'll work w/the controller, but I love how they look.  They have the same look as the lights, instead of individual LEDs shining through the strips, like Corsair does.  Do you know if they'll work w/the controller or not?

Unless it's a corsair controller, then no. Cable management will be fun, but that RGB goodness will be worth it.

You might also look into grabbing a Commander Pro RGB Hub to help with cable managing it...

F@H    EOC