Reinstalling Windows and getting it on SSD

Hiryuuu

Hello there,

I want to completely clean up my PC by using the Windows reinstall option in the settings menu but after having everything deleted, i want Windows to get installed on my SSD instead of my HDD. The thing is, i don’t get the option to choose on what drive i want to install it. Note that i can’t use an usb and am not interested in using a third party copy tool. Can someone tell me how i achieve this? Thanks in advance!

Well you basically only have those two choices either install from a usb and chose where you want windows to be installed or go with a third party tool there are not many other options

That's easy - it all depends on what drive is formatted - using gpt or mbr. You can't install Windows in uefi mode on mbr drive (or in legacy mode on gpt). Since you formatted everything, you'll need to use some bootable partition manager to change it.

Why people wipe everything and wants to start from zero - that is good question. For me it's just waste of time (and data).

And unplug drive you don't want to install Windows on while installing Windows.

10 hours ago, tank234 said:

Well you basically only have those two choices either install from a usb and chose where you want windows to be installed or go with a third party tool there are not many other options

Alright i suppose i’ll resort to using a cloning program then. Thanks! 

2 hours ago, homeap5 said:

That's easy - it all depends on what drive is formatted - using gpt or mbr. You can't install Windows in uefi mode on mbr drive (or in legacy mode on gpt). Since you formatted everything, you'll need to use some bootable partition manager to change it.

Why people wipe everything and wants to start from zero - that is good question. For me it's just waste of time (and data).

And unplug drive you don't want to install Windows on while installing Windows.

Well basically, there is a lot of useless stuff on my pc at the moment and i can’t be asked to sort it all out so i want to use the clean install. With me having installed a SSD not very long ago, i want it to install Windows on the SSD while its at it with the clean install. Anyways i now have just cloned Windows over towards my SSD. Thanks for your reply!

Hello Hiryuuu,

In your case, just unplug the power of your HDD and install a fresh new copy on the SSD.

Like that your data on the HDD will be intact.

Once you have things ready with your new Windows on the SSD, just plug back the power on your HDD.

Windows/File Explorer will detect maybe 2 new partition which only one will be where your data is.

At this point, transfer your data that you need from HDD to SSD and you are ready to format it and do what you want with the HDD.

NOTE: It is very important that once you have your data, format your HDD as you do not want to primary active drivers when you reboot your computer.

My recommendations would be to take out your HDD and install it on an USB Case so that it is easier.

Regards,

Elsa Balelrina