Build for Solidworks and Visualize (Budget build)

Hi, I'm trying to build a PC (preferably a mini ITX) for my 3D modeling and rendering, the PC would be mainly used for that purpose. My budget is around $1200 but would limit myself at $1500.

I have not a lot of knowledge in the PC world but I need to get one since I have to use Solidworks. These are some parts I have found just exploring around and looking at different reviews etc.

CPU: Intel i7 8700k 

GPU: Nvidia quadro p2000

Motherboard: Gibabyte z390 I Aorus pro wifi Mini ITX

MemoryCorsair Vengeance LPX 32gb (2 x 16) DDR4-3000

Storage: Western Digital blue 1TB m.2-2280 SSD

Case: NZXT H1 (would include power supply and CPU cooler)

According to PCPARTPICKER price is $1425

I have mainly based my choices from Javelin Tech Solidworks hardware recommendations (Here), would like any advice or parts or anything I can change to the parts list making sure that everything is comparable and will work together perfectly. Anything to keep the performance but lower cost would be amazing. 

Not sure you 100% need a Quadro for Solidworks, (Was a 3d solid works Design engineer a few years ago) 

you could use a 2070 Super and save cash, 
also no no no on the I7, solidworks I believe is mulit core happy, so give it as many cores as you can, 

slap in a Ryzen 7 3800 or similar. 

anything else you need, This PC cost is basic compared to what it costs for a licence of Solidworks Would love to be back in there doing that as my day job ;)

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

6 minutes ago, Technane said:

also no no no on the I7, solidworks I believe is mulit core happy, so give it as many cores as you can, 

Well, good thing I KNOW that Solidworks is only multi threaded enabled for rendering and analysis. For modeling, assembly and Drawing, it's Single core only (this goes back to the days of single core CPU's, and the source code hasnt changed much since then and would have to be re-written)

So high IPC, but also high core speed is most important for roughly 85% of thwe time you're using the software if not more, depending on how much rendering you actually do. That said, if OP does any other soft of 3D software that DOES utilize multi cores when modeling like Blender, then a multi core solution like a 3800x would be a good "all around" CPU. 

I do believe Solidworks caress more about workstaion GPU's than Inventor does, but in the end, the GPU is not heavily utilized. I'm currently using a P1000 and barely see any utilization even with hardware acceleration on.

Spoiler

SOLIDWORKS Performance Test Guide

https://www.alignex.com/hubfs/support_documents/SolidWorksPerformanceTestGuide.pdf

Processor

The processor-related tasks performed by this test are typical SOLIDWORKS functions. These are single threaded tasks, meaning they do not take advantage of multiple processor cores. This means that the single most important component that affects this score is the CPU clock speed. If this number is low, the biggest culprit is the clock speed of the processor. Since CPU is used in nearly all operations, improving the CPU score can improve other scores downstream as well.

Graphics

A fast time here indicates better ability to zoom, pan, and rotate complex and large models with less visible lag. Graphics manipulation depends on both the CPU and video card. This performance can be improved with a faster video card and/or a faster CPU.

I/O

This score only applies to files saved to and opened from a local drive. It does not account for network speeds or any PDM environment. It is not a good indicator of open and save times from network environments.

Rendering

Photo View 360 does take advantage of multiple cores of processors, if they exist. This is referred to as CPU MultiThreading. Adding CPU cores or improving their clock speed will improve render times. This type of rendering is also independent from the video card; it is exclusively worked through the processor.

RealView Graphics Performance

A fast time here indicates better ability to zoom, pan, and rotate complex and large models with less visible lag when RealView Graphics are turned on. RealView graphics performance depends on both the CPU and the video card, but with greater dependency on video card than standard graphics. RealView graphics performance can be improved with a faster video card and/or a faster CPU.

Simulation

SOLIDWORKS Simulation does use multiple processors (multi-threading), if they exist. More and faster CPU’s will improve the time to run a study. SOLIDWORKS Simulation also requires frequent writes to disk, so hard drive becomes a factor as well

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Nice to know, Been a fair few years since i actually flexed my wrists on some 3d modelling. its still not have that i7 single thread or not, the performance benefit for single thread doesn't really out way the multi core benefit .. but that's just my Opinion. 

ICT professional, Addicted to PC

37 minutes ago, em_parat said:

CPU: Intel i7 8700k 

GPU: Nvidia quadro p2000

Motherboard: Gibabyte z390 I Aorus pro wifi Mini ITX

MemoryCorsair Vengeance LPX 32gb (2 x 16) DDR4-3000

Storage: Western Digital blue 1TB m.2-2280 SSD

Case: NZXT H1 (would include power supply and CPU cooler)

According to PCPARTPICKER price is $1425

I would personally go with the 9700k, as you can get a higher core speed with that. Since Solidworks isnt Multi threaded enabled through mosts of it's tasks as mentioned above, the 9900K's hyperthreading would go largely unused. Additionally, if you're going mITX, an alternative to the H1 would be the Lain Li TU150 (PSU included), as you can put a bigger air tower cooler which will perform at least as good, if not better than most AIO's depending on which one you go with. Both are good options considering your GPU isnt even that powerful. 

14 minutes ago, Technane said:

Nice to know, Been a fair few years since i actually flexed my wrists on some 3d modeling. 

I do it for a living. It's one of the niche areas where intel builds still make sense simply because the IPC can still be made higher with higher core speeds, though that gap is dwindling with every new Ryzen CPU architecture launch. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

16 hours ago, Technane said:

Not sure you 100% need a Quadro for Solidworks, (Was a 3d solid works Design engineer a few years ago) 

you could use a 2070 Super and save cash, 

slap in a Ryzen 7 3800 or similar. 

anything else you need, This PC cost is basic compared to what it costs for a licence of Solidworks Would love to be back in there doing that as my day job ;)

16 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I would personally go with the 9700k, as you can get a higher core speed with that. Since Solidworks isnt Multi threaded enabled through mosts of it's tasks as mentioned above, the 9900K's hyperthreading would go largely unused. Additionally, if you're going mITX, an alternative to the H1 would be the Lain Li TU150 (PSU included), as you can put a bigger air tower cooler which will perform at least as good, if not better than most AIO's depending on which one you go with. Both are good options considering your GPU isnt even that powerful. 

I do it for a living. It's one of the niche areas where intel builds still make sense simply because the IPC can still be made higher with higher core speeds, though that gap is dwindling with every new Ryzen CPU architecture launch. 

Thank you for the comments, will keep looking into to and change what you recommended.