will this CPU cooler fit?

klapstok

Hi guys, 

i've had my pc for a while and I didn't install a CPU cooler from the start.

So yeah I've been running an AMD stock CPU cooler on my Ryzen 5 3600, which is okay, but loud.

Now i'd like to install the Coolermaster Hyper 212X, but I have no clue if it'll fit or not. Anyone that can help?

(atleast I THINK its the CPU cooler that's making a loud noise!) 

build:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

CPU cooler: AMD stock cooler (that comes with the CPU)

GPU: MSI Radeon RX 5700 XT gaming X

MotherBoard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP

PSU: Corsair TX-M Series TX650M V2

CASE: coolermaster masterbox  MB520 RGB

What case are you using? Have you tried lowering fan speeds?

Do you already have the cooler? Newer stock of the Hyper 212X should have AM4 mounting hardware. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What case are you using? Have you tried lowering fan speeds?

Do you already have the cooler? Newer stock of the Hyper 212X should have AM4 mounting hardware. 

hey,

I haven't bought it yet

My case is coolermaster masterbox  MB520 RGB

How do I lower the fan speeds? 🙂 i'm a big noob.. 

Also, wouldn't lowering fan speeds affect my gaming?

Now while browsing the fanspeed is 980 RPM. no idea what that'll mean but its some extra info :)

1 minute ago, klapstok said:

I haven't bought it yet

My case is coolermaster masterbox  MB520 RGB

How do I lower the fan speeds? 🙂 i'm a big noob.. 

Also, wouldn't lowering fan speeds affect my gaming?

If fans are connected to your motherboard, you can control them through the bios. If the fan isn't spinning very quickly, you can also stop the fan with your hand by pressing down on the center hub and see if that fan is the source of noise. 

Lower temps can mean better boost clocks but it's not much past just having sufficient cooling. If temps are fine, it's not a bad idea to run lower fan speeds for less noise. What are temps with a synthetic load? I personally use OCCT. https://www.ocbase.com/

If you don't already have the Hyper 212X, you're probably better off getting a different cooler. It's a bit of an older cooler and there are likely better alternatives for the price. Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

If fans are connected to your motherboard, you can control them through the bios. If the fan isn't spinning very quickly, you can also stop the fan with your hand by pressing down on the center hub and see if that fan is the source of noise. 

Lower temps can mean better boost clocks but it's not much past just having sufficient cooling. If temps are fine, it's not a bad idea to run lower fan speeds for less noise. What are temps with a synthetic load? I personally use OCCT. https://www.ocbase.com/

If you don't already have the Hyper 212X, you're probably better off getting a different cooler. It's a bit of an older cooler and there are likely better alternatives for the price. Where are you shopping / located? Budget?

Alright, I downloaded OCCT and when i go to 'FAN' i see CPU fan is at 1600, the other 3 SYS fans are at 800-1000. What would you recommend? I am from Belgium and I'll probably purchase it from amazon.nl. Price range about 35 euro. 

11 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

i'd go for this instead. I know it's huge, but it's much much better than the hyper212

Thanks! I'll check it out. Will it fit?

11 minutes ago, klapstok said:

Thanks! I'll check it out. Will it fit?

Yes, it fits and would be a better option.

There are also a few more shop options listed on tweakers.net https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/887311/gelid-solutions-phantom.html

49 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, it fits and would be a better option.

There are also a few more shop options listed on tweakers.net https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/887311/gelid-solutions-phantom.html

I have another quick question: I am just browsing and i notice on the OCCT that GPU temp is at 60° Celcius. Isn't that a bit high? Or shouldn't I worry about it?

3 hours ago, klapstok said:

I have another quick question: I am just browsing and i notice on the OCCT that GPU temp is at 60° Celcius. Isn't that a bit high? Or shouldn't I worry about it?

Under load or idle? Idle its hot, if fans are still running. Under load its very cool (GPUs can go to 75C+ under even gaming loads without issues).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

10 hours ago, klapstok said:

It's a bit high but not abnormal if your case doesn't have great airflow since the graphics card fans stop until 60c. 

21 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Under load or idle? Idle its hot, if fans are still running. Under load its very cool (GPUs can go to 75C+ under even gaming loads without issues).

yeah fans werent running, they started running when above 60, then it cooled down to 45. so i guess its all good

2 minutes ago, klapstok said:

yeah fans werent running, they started running when above 60, then it cooled down to 45. so i guess its all good

Yeah, its fine. You can adjust those fan curves if you feel like starting temp should be lower.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Yeah, its fine. You can adjust those fan curves if you feel like starting temp should be lower.

good to know, but I'll trust the system. I don't want to mess things up :D