Windows installation doesn't work

Justasking

When It put my usb stick in my motherboard, and try to boot from it it gets stuck at this screen*PIC*

I tried installing windows on the drive on a separate machine, and when I plugged it back in, it showed the windows logo for a few seconds, and then restarts... What do I do now?

IMG_20200422_222118.jpg

5 minutes ago, Justasking said:

I tried installing windows on the drive on a separate machine, and when I plugged it back in, it showed the windows logo for a few seconds, and then restarts... 

That won't work.

Is the motherboard UEFI-compatbile? Does it have a "secure boot" option in the BIOS? If so, what is it set to?

Alright, what version of windows are you installing on this old girl?

What type of USB drive are you using to install windows?

Is this motherboard even able to Boot to USB (Like in a linux install?)

When you moved the Windows installation from one machine to the other, did you sysprep the machine first? (If its Windows 7 or older)

Finally, are you having a good day, did you drink plenty of water and get a good meal in?

4 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That won't work.

Is the motherboard UEFI-compatbile? Does it have a "secure boot" option in the BIOS? If so, what is it set to?

The motherboard is a gigabyte p35/ds3r, and I did not find a secure boot option....

3 minutes ago, A_Wild_Abra said:

Alright, what version of windows are you installing on this old girl?

What type of USB drive are you using to install windows?

Is this motherboard even able to Boot to USB (Like in a linux install?)

When you moved the Windows installation from one machine to the other, did you sysprep the machine first? (If its Windows 7 or older)

Finally, are you having a good day, did you drink plenty of water and get a good meal in?

Win 10

8gb usb 2.0 device

not sure

I dont really know what sysprep is

Did I do something that stupid?

1 minute ago, Justasking said:

The motherboard is a gigabyte p35/ds3r, and I did not find a secure boot option....

Win 10

8gb usb 2.0 device

not sure

I dont really know what sysprep is

Did I do something that stupid?

Ok, so Windows 10 won't install on a PC that doesnt have proper 'secure boot' functionality, but you can trick it.

Here is what I can suggest.

First, grab a linux distro and load it onto that USB Drive. Unetbootin is great for this. It will wipe your drive clean, so get anything important onto it. Test and see if you can boot to linux off that.

If you can't, its sadbois time and you'll have to go get a DVD drive for the machine.

If you can, congrats, grab a Windows 7 install and load that onto the USB. Then see if you can load that onto the machine.

Now here's the tricky part. Windows 7 can install on a machine, UEFI or Not. All windows 7 installs can upgrade to Windows 10, regardless of if its running UEFI, so you can trick Windows 10 onto the machine by installing Windows 7 and Upgrading it on.

3 minutes ago, Justasking said:

Does it support UEFI mode?

I don't remember if Win10 accepts non-UEFI motherboards, but if it does, you'll have to make sure you create the installation USB in "MBR mode" (if you are using something like Rufus, it will be one of the options). 

I tried to run a windows 7 installer, with no luck. so I think Im getting that dvd drive as a last resort before trying to get the usb to be in mbr mode in rufus

7 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Does it support UEFI mode?

the product page doesnt say so.... sad

This is a board from 2006. She'll have limits on what she can and cannot do. A lot of those technologies later versions of windows depends on don't exist at this time. You might have better luck loading XP or Vista. If you can get Vista on the machine, try running Windows 7's upgrade. If you can get 7 on that way, mmaaaaaaaaaybe you can get 10 on.

1 hour ago, A_Wild_Abra said:

Maybe Win 7 will work.

Yes, Win 7  can do both UEFI and MBR, and requires safe boot off, so it should be enough :) 

You can install win10 on p35. You can boot win10 if is installed in legacy mode on p35. If you see only that seen and if Windows installation retreats, that mean something is wrong with mobo, CPU or ram.

No, win10 do NOT need special bios to work. Guys, stop answering unverified informations.

I have perfectly working win10 that I can boot on p35 Asus or even ancient Intel board. If you see Windows booting and then it restarts without any info, then something is wrong, but not with system. You can believe me, who actually moved dozens of Windows installations between any kind of computers - even from modern i5 UEFI to old legacy core2duo crap.

And I had some experience with that behavior you describe. My friend bought "good cpu" for few $ (really low price) with description that it boots to bios and that is all seller tests, he have no possibility to test it more (or no time, whatever) so there is no guarantee that it will work (like "buy at your own risk"). And, guess what, it was really interesting case - processor indeed runs in BIOS perfectly. It was 6th gen i5 and everything was ok in BIOS, you can setup everything, check temperatures, setup everything. Except system - Windows restart itself before enter desktop, windows installation media stops working after few seconds and linux stops working before enter desktop like win10 (bootable usb). So, for some reason, that was broken CPU that works unless you're trying to boot anything. But BIOS works perfect and every media (usb, hdd, ssd) starts loading any system or installer (only starts, never go further). Of course check on two different motherboards with or without additional GPU. So there is a big chance that your old, ancient PC, is just crap. Old Gigabyte motherboards was really bad (at least from my experience).