Should I change GPUs?

jljones100

Hi all

recently bought a pre-built PC, and it came with a ZOTAC RTX 2080 Ti Blower 11G Fan. I wasn't able to specify what exact model of GPU i would get, I just selected a 2080 ti. This card is sitting in a large Cooler master h500, which has 2 large case fans on the front. Do you guys think a blower style card is a big mistake on this build? I've read that axial fan models are better for big cases with good airflow. But how much of a difference in performance would I actually see? I'm not intending on overclocking the card, and when it's under load it's getting up to 83/84 degrees C. Is this acceptable or am I losing a lot of performance because it's running so hot?

Quite new to this whole thing so happy to be educated, thanks!

9 minutes ago, jljones100 said:

Hi all

recently bought a pre-built PC, and it came with a ZOTAC RTX 2080 Ti Blower 11G Fan. I wasn't able to specify what exact model of GPU i would get, I just selected a 2080 ti. This card is sitting in a large Cooler master h500, which has 2 large case fans on the front. Do you guys think a blower style card is a big mistake on this build? I've read that axial fan models are better for big cases with good airflow. But how much of a difference in performance would I actually see? I'm not intending on overclocking the card, and when it's under load it's getting up to 83/84 degrees C. Is this acceptable or am I losing a lot of performance because it's running so hot?

Quite new to this whole thing so happy to be educated, thanks!

The blower style cards tend to get hot but since you are not overclocking you should be fine. But the gpu might thermal throttle if it gets any hotter so just keep a eye on the temps every now and again and you should be good and they also get really loud under full load

ZOTAC RTX 2080 Ti Blower  is hella of a gpu.
Prebuilt PC's are going to be hot.

Also It is a blower style card so you would have to turn up the fan speed. Or let air come in through the right side of the case for more cool air towards the gpu.

Conclusion, you do not need a new gpu.

i9-10980xe 4.5ghz all cores | EVGA RTX 2080 XC ultra clocked at 1965mhz and memory clocked at 8417mhz | 128gb 3200mhz |

Blower GPUs are always hotter and louder. Not the best choice for PCs with good enough airflow if you plan to get the last frame out of it.

Im sure your Card will downclock a bit with the temps, unless you force it not to. I wouldnt go above 80c° tho.

In the End, nothing to be too worried about. Your Card will still be a Beast.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

usually for nvidia gpus, their thermal throttle temp is set to 83. so if you're regularly seeing 83/84, it means it's throttling. you can install msi afterburner and increase the temp limit and set a more aggressive fan curve, so that the temp limit is not reached.

Thanks for replies, I think I will experiment a bit with fan curves to see if I can get temperature a bit lower. I was leaning towards the view that you guys have that it's not going to make a massive difference, so thanks again!

You're only losing 5% at most performance, as long as you can deal with the noise I would just leave it.