Can't install new drivers

kotolus

Hi,

I have a major issue with my PC. I recently tried a clean install of the Nvidia Drivers on my PC since GeForce Experience couldn't update them automatically. Unfortunately, only the uninstall worked - the following installation did not. The Nvidia installer doesn't give me any hint as to why it failed. If I try to install them manually from the device manager I get the error message 'one of the installers for this device cannot perform the installation at this time'. I can't restore the system since I didn't create any points in time for that early enough. I already ensured that no Nvidia Services or programs are running. I already ran sfc and system health scan. I tried booting in safe mode and booting without any auto start apps or services running. I made sure that trusted installer and windows installer services are not disabled (both set to manual start I believe, tried auto start for the windows installer service as well). Same error message every time.

Does anybody have any idea what might cause this?

Last idea:

Spoiler

Last thing I can think of trying would be turning off automatic driver updates in windows (just to make sure there issue isn't just one unrelated driver trying and failing to install over and over again while blocking other installations), uninstalling 'unfinished' drivers installations (most of which are NVidia drivers) that I can see in the device manager and then restarting and trying the installation again,. I'm just kinda scared that I'll end up without any display driver at all - not sure if that's possible or which consequences that might have (worst case would be constant black screen and me being unable to access windows at all).

50 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

Download latest driver from nvidia.com/driver (do not install)

Then use a tool called DDU :- https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html to completely remove existing driver IN safe mode.

Reboot PC (with internet disabled) and install the driver downloaded earlier.

Thanks, I'll try that. 

I should also mention that I just realized that I always get that sound on start up that usually plays when a new device is connected. I think there's some driver continuously trying to install.

Edit: Unfortunately didn't work, same results as before even though im not 100% sure if the progress bar didn't go further this time before showing the error message. I also tried using that tool earlier (though not in that specific manner). Only difference it made is that now in the upper category in the device manager there is a device called 'system' instead of something like 'video controller', which apparently was my GPU. It showed the GPUs name when trying to install the drivers from there but then said it couldn't update due to the installer not being available. Ever since using the tool it now won't even find a suitable driver (just in case this info somehow helps).

I'd rather assume the issue is not with nvidia but with my PC not installing any new drivers (especially since I get that message and I get the sound when booting up). Any ideas how that could happen?

I finally got it after about 10 hours... for whatever reason (I certainly didn't do this manually) one registry entry which was specifically meant to enable/disable driver installation was set to the wrong value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DeviceInstall\Parameters\DeviceInstallDisabled was set to 1 and setting it to 0 fixed it for me.

22 minutes ago, kotolus said:

I finally got it after about 10 hours... for whatever reason (I certainly didn't do this manually) one registry entry which was specifically meant to enable/disable driver installation was set to the wrong value:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\DeviceInstall\Parameters\DeviceInstallDisabled was set to 1 and setting it to 0 fixed it for me.

I'm having the same problem and cant find the DeviceInstallDisabled in my registry. Does it have a different name/abbreviation? All I have in the parameters are these:

Reg.ss.PNG

23 hours ago, PC__Noob said:

I'm having the same problem and cant find the DeviceInstallDisabled in my registry. Does it have a different name/abbreviation? All I have in the parameters are these:

Some PC's seem to have the same stuff in different locations, no clue why and also no clue about the registry in general, since I barely use it. You could maybe google different locations for it. Theres also another key for the windows installer service which can set it so 'busy', I unfortunately forgot its name, so you'd have to google that, too. Lastly, if it's NVidia specific you could try their instructions, they're liked in the installers 'installation failed' message and generally, they recommend removing all old drivers. If you do that and still can't install new driver, you'll end up without any driver and can't play any game anymore like me.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the registry solution.  I have been fighting this error for about a month.  Changing the registry key fixed the issue.

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2020 at 12:04 AM, kotolus said:

I can't thank you enough for this solution bro. You are my real life saver. Actually every videos on YouTube were backdated and wasn't working for me at all, but after seeing your post on reddit my PC got back in normal and now I can use internet properly. Even I dont use reddit in a year and I didnot have any account as well. I created this account just to give you a thanks from the bottom of my heart. I was so worried. Thanks god that your trick saved me. God bless you buddy.

• 2 weeks later...

I literally made this account solely to thank OP for finding this, nothing else worked and I never would have thought to try that. 

• 3 months later...

My Guy Kotolus you are a legend!! I created this account just to thank you!!

On 4/19/2020 at 7:04 PM, kotolus said:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 3:38 PM, burner account said:

I literally made this account solely to thank OP for finding this, nothing else worked and I never would have thought to try that. 

DUDE please tell me the steps on how to do this like i dont have any drivers rn and its such a loong story pleaseeeeee

hello, uhmm i just wanted to say, that this is the happiest day of my life since i didnt have any drivers since 2 months and im finally gonna play a videogame. i thank everybody here and im so grateful that im crying. well thank you and i hope yall have a good life

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 11:04 AM, kotolus said:

created an account just to say thank you

On 4/19/2020 at 11:04 AM, kotolus said:

created an account just to say thank you 

• 3 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 8:29 PM, PC__Noob said:

Reg.ss.PNG

What needs to be done in this case?

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2020 at 9:04 PM, kotolus said:

On 4/19/2020 at 9:04 PM, kotolus said:

I have been struggling so hard with this and been trying for like 7 hours now thank you very much from the bottom of my heart I thought I was a goner you saved me months of work my man thank you thank you thank you very very much and may god bless you 

• 2 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 2:04 PM, kotolus said:

Thank you very much. It works very good. I got to install all my pending devices. it's important to share this information to all the internet, because there are no answers in Microsoft support

• 5 months later...

I just created an account here to Thank you for saving my laptop. I had tried all the options and nothing else worked. It was a simple solution. THANK YOU. God bless. 

• 4 months later...
On 4/19/2020 at 1:04 PM, kotolus said:

I as well created an account to say thank you. I'm unsure why that registry key got borked but changing it immediately fixed the problem (after a reboot), my Bluetooth and my Ethernet drivers both bit the dust on me a few weeks ago so as you can imagine this was pretty relieving to have fixed.

PS I feel like an account that gets created just to thank someone should be called a Kotolus account based off this thread lol

On 4/20/2020 at 9:05 PM, kotolus said:

Some PC's seem to have the same stuff in different locations, no clue why and also no clue about the registry in general, since I barely use it. You could maybe google different locations for it. Theres also another key for the windows installer service which can set it so 'busy', I unfortunately forgot its name, so you'd have to google that, too. Lastly, if it's NVidia specific you could try their instructions, they're liked in the installers 'installation failed' message and generally, they recommend removing all old drivers. If you do that and still can't install new driver, you'll end up without any driver and can't play any game anymore like me.

On 4/19/2020 at 9:29 PM, PC__Noob said:

Reg.ss.PNG

Dude You're literally a legend for this solution. I spent so much time trying to find like the root cause of this problem until I came across your solution. You really made my day my guy, thank you soo much!!