T-Mobile In Controversy with Blackberry

ThePointblank

It all first started with this:

http://crackberry.com/t-mobile-tries-coax-blackberry-users-upgrade-iphone-5s-its-latest-mailer

t-mobile-iphone-switch.jpg?itok=XsKPlaiH

A T-Mobile customer that owns a Blackberry was e-mailed by T-Mobile with an offer to switch to an iPhone. This was forwarded to Crackberry.com by the Blackberry customer, and the end result was a very angry Blackberry community, whom made it very clear to T-Mobile's CEO about their displeasure on Twitter. The end response of this that T-Mobile's CEO responded on Twitter saying he has heard the Blackberry community 'loud and clear' and that he would "work with the team" about BlackBerry:

john-legere-listening.jpg?itok=TrDID4ou

Then, Blackberry's CEO, John Chen, on the Inside Blackberry blog weighted in on the issue:

Late last week, T-Mobile emailed an offer targeting BlackBerry users on its network asking them to switch their BlackBerry devices to a competitor’s smartphone. As we were never told of their plans in advance, I can only guess that T-Mobile thought its “great offer for BlackBerry customers” would be well received. T-Mobile could not have been more wrong.

I want to thank our loyal customers for your commitment to BlackBerry. By expressing your outrage directly to T-Mobile ‎through tweets, calls and comments in the media and on blog posts, you sent a powerful message that T-Mobile could not ignore. Your partnership with our brand is appreciated by all of us at BlackBerry, and draws a sharp contrast with the behavior of our longtime business partner.

I can assure you that we are outraged too. What puzzles me more is that T-Mobile did not speak with us before or after they launched this clearly inappropriate and ill-conceived marketing promotion.

To the BlackBerry user community, I want to extend our deepest gratitude. Y‎our passion motivates us every day as we navigate our turnaround. And for our loyal customers on the T-Mobile network, know that we have an offer in the works designed especially for you. Watch this space for an update very soon.

Finally, to T-Mobile, I would like to remind you that our long-standing partnership was once productive and profitable for both BlackBerry and T-Mobile. I hope we can find a way forward that allows us to serve our shared customers once again. Notwithstanding the current challenge, we remain very excited about BlackBerry’s future.

It's clear that BlackBerry wasn't thrilled by T-Mobile's marketing push, or that they even had knowledge of it in advance.

The current end result is that as a result of the furor over T-Mobile's marketing blunder, T-Mobile has promised that as an "additional courtesy" to its BlackBerry customers, it will start offering expedited shipping of the devices by Friday:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/john-chen-outraged-by-t-mobile-s-anti-blackberry-campaign-1.2543342

This is exactly the kind of thing that has dragged Blackberry's name to the dirt. As a T-mobile customer this pisses me off. They were cool with Blackberry as long as they made money. Now it seems is clearly not the same. As a customer I wouldn't be surprised if they come out tomorrow and say fuck the customer we don't need them anymore. 

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.