Hypothetical question

Lfc
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

Yeah, the video card manufacturer has no way of knowing what other components you're gonna use in your computer and what quality of power supply you're gonna have.

Are you gonna use a dual core cpu that consumes 50 watts or you're gonna use a 250 watts Threadripper / 14 core xeon processor?

They can't say use a 550w psu because there are shitty 20-30$ power supplies which say on the label 550w but can only output 200-300 watts on 12v and the rest of 200 watts are only available on 3.3v and 5v.

On modern computers, video cards and processor and fans are all powered from 12v output of a power supply.

So to prevent RMAs and complaints "my video card burnt my power supply" or "psu died and killed my video card", and to cover all possible computer configurations, video card manufacturers inflate the minimum requirements, asking for more than what's really needed.

You're perfectly fine with that 850 watts power supply, it's more than enough and it's a high quality design with long warranty and all that..

Is 850 Watts PSU enough to this system? 

Ryzen 7 3800X 105 Watts CPU

Sapphire RX 5700 XT  nitro +

400 Watts minimum for sapphire QVL only for card. (Suggest 650watts minimum PSU) 

The future sapphire RX 5800 XT pulse

Asus prime X570 pro

2 Nvmes SSDs

I can't test this system in pcpartpicker not for future GPU but because in this tester site you can use in testing only one GPU

Ask the question for conversation

Yeah, it's enough.

The Ryzen cpu without overclocking will consume up to around 120-150 watts.

The video card will consume up to 250w ... the 5800 a bit more. Either way, neither will consume more than 300w.

The motherboard will consume around 15-25 watts (chipset, onboard sound etc)

Memory ... give it 10 watts.

2-3 watts for each fan  and around 5 watts for each SSD. Around 10 watts for each mechanical drive.

So worse case scenario you're looking at around 450-500 watts consumed from the 12v output an around 25-50w from 5v and 3.3v

8 minutes ago, chunkymunky0 said:

Are you planning on using both gpus in the system at once, or are you going to replace one with the other?

Both GPUs

3 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, it's enough.

The Ryzen cpu without overclocking will consume up to around 120-150 watts.

The video card will consume up to 250w ... the 5800 a bit more. Either way, neither will consume more than 300w.

The motherboard will consume around 15-25 watts (chipset, onboard sound etc)

Memory ... give it 10 watts.

2-3 watts for each fan  and around 5 watts for each SSD. Around 10 watts for each mechanical drive.

So worse case scenario you're looking at around 450-500 watts consumed from the 12v output an around 25-50w from 5v and 3.3v

But in this way the PSU works a hundred percent..? 

Is full PSU working cool for noise, thermal etc..? 

1 minute ago, Lfc said:

But in this way the PSU works a hundred percent..? 

Is full PSU working cool for noise, thermal etc..? 

Is the psu 80+ certified?

1 minute ago, chunkymunky0 said:

Is the psu 80+ certified?

Corsair RM850

How cool or how hot it will be will depend on the efficiency of the power supply.

Since you didn't say anything about its technical specs there's no way I could tell you that.

Ex a bronze efficiency psu will be 85% efficient so to produce 500w of power for components, around 80 watts will be wasted in the form of heat.

This means power supply will produce noise and fan may run at high speeds and therefore power supply may be noisy.

A gold efficiency psu may run at 92-94% efficiency so there's gonna be only around 30-40 watts of heat produced, which is much less.

edit: rm850 is gold efficiency, over 90% efficient, high quality, it will be perfectly fine.

10 minutes ago, mariushm said:

IMG_20200418_185247.jpg

1 minute ago, mariushm said:

How cool or how hot it will be will depend on the efficiency of the power supply.

Since you didn't say anything about its technical specs there's no way I could tell you that.

Ex a bronze efficiency psu will be 85% efficient so to produce 500w of power for components, around 80 watts will be wasted in the form of heat.

This means power supply will produce noise and fan may run at high speeds and therefore power supply may be noisy.

A gold efficiency psu may run at 92-94% efficiency so there's gonna be only around 30-40 watts of heat produced, which is much less.

I want to use Corsair RM850

Is better for future proof to use Antec HCP Platinum 1000Watt? 

Yeah, the video card manufacturer has no way of knowing what other components you're gonna use in your computer and what quality of power supply you're gonna have.

Are you gonna use a dual core cpu that consumes 50 watts or you're gonna use a 250 watts Threadripper / 14 core xeon processor?

They can't say use a 550w psu because there are shitty 20-30$ power supplies which say on the label 550w but can only output 200-300 watts on 12v and the rest of 200 watts are only available on 3.3v and 5v.

On modern computers, video cards and processor and fans are all powered from 12v output of a power supply.

So to prevent RMAs and complaints "my video card burnt my power supply" or "psu died and killed my video card", and to cover all possible computer configurations, video card manufacturers inflate the minimum requirements, asking for more than what's really needed.

You're perfectly fine with that 850 watts power supply, it's more than enough and it's a high quality design with long warranty and all that..

2 minutes ago, Lfc said:

IMG_20200418_185247.jpg

They will say they recommend a 650w psu so that the gpu will definitely have enough power to operate at full potential. That gives them a margin of error doing that.

11 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah now I saw this! Card needs only 265Watts

IMG_20200418_191021.jpg

13 minutes ago, chunkymunky0 said:

They will say they recommend a 650w psu so that the gpu will definitely have enough power to operate at full potential. That gives them a margin of error doing that.

Yes I just saw GPU needs only 265 Watts! 

Good! Thanks!