1st gen threadripper

Hi guys, I wanted someone's opinion so I thought I might ask.... I've just seen a thredripper 1900x and 1920x at a pretty good price point (150/260 €) and I've been planning to build a pc for virtualization but I'm not sure about the choice. 

I'm not gonna do anything to heavy with those vms but I might use them "heavily" sometimes. Not that I'm a power user but just office tasks, pretty much (just to give you an idea). I am going to be using arch (mostly) or manjaro.

I'm going to be installing a vm with macOS, I'm going to passthorugh a GPU.

Here's what I was thinking:

cpu: threadriiper 1900x/1920x

ram: 32gb ddr4 lpx from Corsair (should be supported, I don't think I'll need more)

mobo: x399 gigabyte aurous pro or the Asrock x399 phantom gaming 6

psu: 600w

GPUs: (I don't need anything fancy so) gt710 and an r5. (the gt710 is natively supported by Catalina and I've already done a vm with macOS, it works perfectly, don't worry).

The main point is about the CPU is it good for virtualization specifically? I can't really test hardware so much so I though I'd ask you guys.

Thank you in advance ;)

From my experience with virtual machines on a Ryzen 5 1600X a 1900X/ 1920X should do a good job for virtualisation. I don't know what you mean by using your VMs "heavily". If you're talking about multitasking it should be alright, if you're doing CPU bound computations I'd probably go for something newer.

Whether you go for a 1900X or 1920X mainly depends on how many cores you want. Btw. I've seen new 1920X for as low as 215€ so it might be worth doing some research in that direction.

I'm not gonna do do any editing, rendering or involving graphical or cpu intensive workloads. Just basic work. I thought I'd assign 8 cores 'cause that's what I did. Just wanted to know if the threads are powerful ones or not. I've done it already on a ryzen 5 2600 and the only problem I think it'd be the ream 'cause I only got 8 gb, but that was a budget problem :'). Thanks a lot! I appreciate you taking the time 

38 minutes ago, nicho1723 said:

Hi guys, I wanted someone's opinion so I thought I might ask.... I've just seen a thredripper 1900x and 1920x at a pretty good price point (150/260 €) and I've been planning to build a pc for virtualization but I'm not sure about the choice. 

I'm not gonna do anything to heavy with those vms but I might use them "heavily" sometimes. Not that I'm a power user but just office tasks, pretty much (just to give you an idea). I am going to be using arch (mostly) or manjaro.

I'm going to be installing a vm with macOS, I'm going to passthorugh a GPU.

Here's what I was thinking:

cpu: threadriiper 1900x/1920x

ram: 32gb ddr4 lpx from Corsair (should be supported, I don't think I'll need more)

mobo: x399 gigabyte aurous pro or the Asrock x399 phantom gaming 6

psu: 600w

GPUs: (I don't need anything fancy so) gt710 and an r5. (the gt710 is natively supported by Catalina and I've already done a vm with macOS, it works perfectly, don't worry).

The main point is about the CPU is it good for virtualization specifically? I can't really test hardware so much so I though I'd ask you guys.

Thank you in advance ;)

If 8 cores are enough for what you need, I'd rather go with a 3xxx series processor (3600-3700?) even if they cost a little more. Threadripper 1 is a big chip, has much slower single-thread performance and a lot more heat output to cool down. If you're not gonna fully utilize all of it's core at 100%, it's probably better going for a more consumer and balanced CPU IMHO.

Yeah that's what I'm tryng to understand. What's really more important to get closest experience to a "phisycal" machine ?. 'Cause, in that department I don't really know, should I go with a newer architecture or stick to that If I ever need that much power ?

So I guess 3rd gen ryzen's cores are morepowerful even thank threadripper? even if  it is a 1st gen one ? I don't think, but I'm not an expert.... Thanks a lot! by the way

How many vm's do you plan on running? What are they? That will determine which cpu is best. 

Hi there! I'm back... I had completely forgotten to reply. I'm gonna be running just one vm. (Specs, I wrote them all above at the beginning, which kind of vm and configuration all of that)

A single VM for running office apps? That will run fine of nearly anything. A threadripper is WAY overkill.