Thermaltake colorshift

Go to solution Solved by AaronG,

Okay so I had an epiphany, I have a multimeter with a frequency readout! Plugged it in and yes, Thermaltake colorshift fans do have a tach signal. Furthermore the led color changer simply pulls the tach cable low; this means it should have no damaging effect of fan monitoring should I wire it in. The fans themselves output 5vDC on the tach cable, nevertheless the resistance is about 20meg ohms, so I'm not too worried about this causing problems on the board. I will confirm all this when my board eventually arrives.

TL;DR Yes, thermaltake colorshift fans can be used with fan rmp moitoring devices and software. 

So, I just bought the Level 10 gt case and I am awaiting components to fill it. I am planning on linking all the colorshift fans to the motherboard fan headers to control them with Asus Fan Xpert 2, in this I have a few questions.

1) I know the yellow wire is used by thermaltake to control the led mode, however does this wire still output the tacho signal used to monitor rpm, and will this still work with fan control? Or will I have to cut the yellow wire out (maybe even link it back to the manual fan control on the case) and if I do so will fan xpert still be able to change the fan's voltage?

2) If the fan will work with fan xpert can I change the led mode of the fans via software?

I know this is quite specific, but any insights you might have would be appreciated

Okay so I had an epiphany, I have a multimeter with a frequency readout! Plugged it in and yes, Thermaltake colorshift fans do have a tach signal. Furthermore the led color changer simply pulls the tach cable low; this means it should have no damaging effect of fan monitoring should I wire it in. The fans themselves output 5vDC on the tach cable, nevertheless the resistance is about 20meg ohms, so I'm not too worried about this causing problems on the board. I will confirm all this when my board eventually arrives.

TL;DR Yes, thermaltake colorshift fans can be used with fan rmp moitoring devices and software. 

I already have the case, that's why I was able to test the fans. When the rest comes I'll have a full water cooling loop with some uv tubing, uv cold cathodes to light it up, and a monsoon reservoir that just looks fantastic.

I already have the case, that's why I was able to test the fans. When the rest comes I'll have a full water cooling loop with some uv tubing, uv cold cathodes to light it up, and a monsoon reservoir that just looks fantastic.

Pls quote me :P, also where are you gonna put the rads? you gonna remove some of the fans?

XFX suck donkeyballs

Pls quote me :P, also where are you gonna put the rads? you gonna remove some of the fans?

The top fan is going and a dual rad is going in the top, I'm only cooling mb and cpu with this so I hope it should be good enough. If I eventually cool graphics I'll need to find an imaginative way to put in another rad.

The top fan is going and a dual rad is going in the top, I'm only cooling mb and cpu with this so I hope it should be good enough. If I eventually cool graphics I'll need to find an imaginative way to put in another rad.

Ok nice, but I'll be interested to see how you'll manage to fit a second rad for the graphics cards if you do.

XFX suck donkeyballs