I think my PSU Died! Help!

Razer06

Hi! I tried to install a new ssd today, and my pc didnt turn on once it was installed, so I removed it and it still didnt turn on, and I started hearing these clicking/popping noises every time I tried to turn it on after leaving it unplugged for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in and hitting the power button. Please help!

9 minutes ago, Razer06 said:

Hi! I tried to install a new ssd today, and my pc didnt turn on once it was installed, so I removed it and it still didnt turn on, and I started hearing these clicking/popping noises every time I tried to turn it on after leaving it unplugged for 30 seconds, then plugging it back in and hitting the power button. Please help!

did u try using adapters for the PSU cables. (did you use a VGA to sata adapter for example?)

NOTE: I AM NEVER ALWAYS RIGHT, BUT I AM HAPPY TO HELP ANYWAY I CAN

Tag me @WambleCropped or quote me so I can see your reply

My Rig: RTX 2060, R7 1700X, Samsung 860 500GB, Masterlite Liquid Cooler, Asrock Pro B540,16GB of RAM G.Skill 2133

PSU Tier List                    SSD Tier List                              Graphics Tier List

Maybe stop pressing the power button and shorting it out? Replace the broken power supply BEFORE it catches fire, not after.

8 minutes ago, WambleCropped said:

did u try using adapters for the PSU cables. (did you use a VGA to sata adapter for example?)

Nope, I didnt. Its modular so I just replaced some of the other cables with my backup ones, and nothing happened.

15 minutes ago, Razer06 said:

Nope, I didnt. Its modular so I just replaced some of the other cables with my backup ones, and nothing happened.

Ok.  That's potentially a problem.

Are they cables made for that particular PSU?  

What PSU do you have and where did the cables come from?

99% of the time, the pinout on the PSU side is not compatible (i.e. you can't use EVGA cables in a Corsair PSU) and the crossing of the pins (like +5V on one cable might be +12V on another cable) can cause a short that will "latch" the PSU... if it doesn't fry you computer parts first.

20 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.  That's potentially a problem.

Are they cables made for that particular PSU?  

What PSU do you have and where did the cables come from?

99% of the time, the pinout on the PSU side is not compatible (i.e. you can't use EVGA cables in a Corsair PSU) and the crossing of the pins (like +5V on one cable might be +12V on another cable) can cause a short that will "latch" the PSU... if it doesn't fry you computer parts first.

I actually dont know because it was used. But this system was running for months before this happened.

12 minutes ago, Razer06 said:

I actually dont know because it was used. But this system was running for months before this happened.

Right.  But then you used your "back up cables" which could be from another brand PSU and something got fried.

You don't know what kind of PSU you're using?  There's no label on it?  You don't know what kind of PSU your cables came from?

It sounds like you're in over your head.  You might want to start fresh by buying a new PSU.

22 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Right.  But then you used your "back up cables" which could be from another brand PSU and something got fried.

You don't know what kind of PSU you're using?  There's no label on it?  You don't know what kind of PSU your cables came from?

It sounds like you're in over your head.  You might want to start fresh by buying a new PSU.

Its an older SilverStone PSU. I just dont know where the cables are from