Can you recommend RGB lighting for a subtle glow, not floodlights?

I have 12v 4-pin RGB headers on my motherboard, so I got this strip from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YJLXTN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But the light is so bright, it lights up the room. I only wanted it to glow over my parts to add a bit of color, and I can't seem to dim it with software.

It was also one of the shortest I could find on Amazon at 30cm, when I only really need <20cm.

Could you recommend some lighting for just a subtle glow?

1 hour ago, notromit said:

I have 12v 4-pin RGB headers on my motherboard, so I got this strip from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YJLXTN4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But the light is so bright, it lights up the room. I only wanted it to glow over my parts to add a bit of color, and I can't seem to dim it with software.

It was also one of the shortest I could find on Amazon at 30cm, when I only really need <20cm.

Could you recommend some lighting for just a subtle glow?

You have to dim it with software for brightness control since you have to use standard SMD5050 RGB LED's, what motherboard do you have? If you want to shorten those strips it's fairly easy as there are designated cut marks tat the +12V,R,G,B areas.

The other option is if you don't like the bright spots is to use a frosted diffuser over the LED's. 

Diffusers for LightStrips, which one reduces the least amount of ...

So, SMD 5050 LEDs are significantly bigger and brighter at 12-15 lumens than SMD 3528 which are a 5-6 lumens, according to:

So I was going to follow their advice and get a roll of SMD 3528 LEDs from and solder a 4 pin connector to it.
Do you know if a 5v LED strip work on a 12v header?

1 hour ago, notromit said:

So, SMD 5050 LEDs are significantly bigger and brighter at 12-15 lumens than SMD 3528 which are a 5-6 lumens, according to:

So I was going to follow their advice and get a roll of SMD 3528 LEDs from and solder a 4 pin connector to it.
Do you know if a 5v LED strip work on a 12v header?

The SMD 3258 are not tricolor LED’s so they cannot do the color mixing like the SMD5050 units. What happens is you get a rainbow RGB effect as you get separated individual Red, green, and Blue chips. 

That post was in reference to single color LED’s not RGB which is different. 

is there a dimmer light i can use without a dimmer or a diffuser?
Failing that, do you know if i can plug a single 4pin RGB LED directly into the 4pin cable that attaches to the RGB header?

10 minutes ago, notromit said:

is there a dimmer light i can use without a dimmer or a diffuser?
Failing that, do you know if i can plug a single 4pin RGB LED directly into the 4pin cable that attaches to the RGB header?

Not for RGB since it must be software base control to get the different lighting effects, and since it's a 12V header it's not possible to just wire a single RGB LED directly onto it. Within MSI mystic you should have lighting control options including brightness and light speed option as shown below. 

MSI Gaming X Geforce GTX 1660 TI Review — Page 4 of 10 — Modders-Inc