Laser Printer troubleshooting

amckern

I have been given an older laser printer to use in my job (the one i was using goes through a cartirge of tonner every few days)

FUJI XEROX DocuPrint P355 d

I am having trouble with printing solid colors (such as boarders, or lots of text close to each other) - see attached photo

I have increased the fuse voltage to +5v as well as as the density in the settings within windows, but it still has the same issue - please help.

20200416_111930.thumb.jpg.65f91529238000e3c0ac704e7e489378.jpg

Untitled.png

1Untitled.png

So, it's possible the toner you have is not granular enough to hits 1200DPI.

Different toners = different qualities = different results.

I recently bought my first laser printer and I printed black and white photo's with decent results at 600DPI, so better than what you're showing in that picture you posted.

I'm using the stock Canon toner that it came with.

I wonder if the Toner is your problem.   I think an easy way to test that would be to do a test strip, then change your DPI and see if your results change.

2 hours ago, _Kaurus said:

I wonder if the Toner is your problem.   I think an easy way to test that would be to do a test strip, then change your DPI and see if your results change.

I pulled out the unit, checked the roller looks clean (no dust etc) do you think it might be light stains on the transfer unit - also tried a spare catridge of tonner - all the same, also same issue with lower DPI;

20200416_132557.jpg

19 hours ago, amckern said:

I pulled out the unit, checked the roller looks clean (no dust etc) do you think it might be light stains on the transfer unit - also tried a spare catridge of tonner - all the same, also same issue with lower DPI;

20200416_132557.jpg

So tell me Have you ever had better results or is this the first time you've noticed your printers performance?

During my research of laser printers I looked up photo printing. Some laser printers do a decent job of printing pictures, but the technology as a whole sucks at it compared to ink jet. What you're printing there is essentially a picture with different grades of black/grey right?

Is it possible you have just met your printer's limits.

As I mentioned, I just got my first laser printer, so I'm not professional.  Hopefully someone with more to contribute can take this conversation to the next level.

54 minutes ago, _Kaurus said:

So tell me Have you ever had better results or is this the first time you've noticed your printers performance?

Its been ongoing - example of text and the faded effect:

20200417_100449.jpg

20200417_100412.jpg

There is certainly a pattern, isn't there. Like heat or the amount of toner coming out is strobbing.  unfortunately i don't know what to contribute at this point.

The pattern isn't a low fuser temp/voltage issue, if it was it would flake off in a powder and look almost splotchy.

Bad corona wires cause dark/light spots, but I haven't seen anything nearly that patterned/consistent.

Looks like you can buy a fuser for $300+ but that's a lot to throw in the parts cannon, and I think it looks more like a transfer issue rather than a fuser issue.

I have had some odd issues with individual brands/types of paper, I don't think that would be the issue here, But that is a really easy, cheap test to try.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

I'll bring some paper from home and see if it still has the same issue.

• 2 weeks later...