Looking For A New Case For Watercooling

Hi All,

This is my first time posting a topic in the linustechtips forum.  :)

CM Storm Stryker or Corsair C70 or others?

I'm currently looking for an easily transportable case that can support two(2) 2x120mm radiators easily (mild modifications are okay). Handles are a big plus.  :D  What would you guys choose and why? Any inputs are highly appreciated and will greatly help me in making my decision.  :) Hope you can help me..  

Thanks and more power!

Do you have any hardware to put in it as of yet? Are you looking for an ATX/mATX/ITX chassis? If you don't have the hardware yet and you're looking for something easily transportable, it might be worth looking at an mATX/ITX form factor.

You were a noob once too!

Thank you for the response!  :)

I don't have hardware yet. but I already have the watercooling gear. 

2x 240 radiators, pump, res, 2x blocks (1 for cpu, 1 for gpu). I just saw the 350D and it seems perfect for my needs. It's small but it has no handles so I'm kind of torn here.

Im a huge fan of the nzxt switch 810. Its at a fairly reasonable price for a full tower ($145 bucks on amazon last time i saw it). It has a huge window for viewing and its supports up to 3  rads with out moding. you can have up to a 360 rad ontop and depending on the setup you can do 2 240s on the bottom and front.

I think an switch 810 is a little to big to be carrying around unless your a tank. I love the corsair 350d and if it was out 6 months ago i would of gotten it over the bitfenix prodigy. If you saw tiny tom logans review of it he picks it up fairly easily with stuff inside. Its my pick for case of the year already.

You could always make up your own carry strap for it like http://www.amazon.com/GearGrip-Desktop-Mid-Tower-52-Inch-Circumference/dp/B00021UJ62

You're welcome :) Yes, I was going to recommend the 350D if you were happy with an mATX form factor. What kind of res/pump do you have? I'm not entirely sure how much room is available inside the 350D unless you have a bay res/pump. The Switch 810 is definitely not something you want to be carrying around. And as for your concern RE handles, I have heard many reviews complimenting how easy it is to pick up and carry the 350D, no no worries there.

If you're going to get the 350D which I was going to as well. But when you consider the Fractal Arc Midi R2, its slightly larger and its much more water cooling friendly and you can fit a full ATX board in there

Thank you for the replies.

I previously owned a 692 (as you can see it's my profile picture) loved it but once It's full of hardware and full watercooling, it's quite heavy. That's why I believe a nice sturdy handle will make a huge difference carrying my rig around.

As for the 350D, I like the look of it, styling and the small form factor. One thing I'm worried about is despite it's small size, it could still be pretty heavy when I load it up with hardware and watercooling. It could still be easier to carry compared to a mid tower because it's small, but maybe it won't be as easy if it's something with a handle? :)  Although I'm quite liking the looks of the 350D.

My pump is an EK DCP 4.0 and res is an EK 150 X3 (not sure).

I did consider the prodigy once but there's just things I didn't like about it so I scratched it off my list.

A handle with a heavy case is just going to make it harder to carry, trust me. The best way is the old school way, bend your knees, arms around the case against your chest (not stomach) to spread the load. A handle forces all the weight onto your wrists. Starting with a light case won't make a difference if you are going to 'fully load' it. Also if your case isn't balanced it makes it even more difficult.

But yes, smaller and heavier will be easier than larger with an awkward handle.

I used to rely heavily (heh) on the wheels of my old Lian Li V2000+, with 24 HDDs in any enclosure, it's a pain to LAN with every weekend.

If you're looking for something portable why not try the Bitfenix Prodigy? It might be tight, but you can get 2x240 Rads in it. 

Singularity Computers are working on a Prodigy and are sticking 2x240s in it: 

If you can afford it , I suggest a 900D by corsair. It's a dream.

Spoiler

Project Casper - Glass Tubing Build

Ryzen 9 5905x     |    Gigabyte Aorus Extreme X570    |   Strix 3090

GSkill 64gb 4000mhz   |    EVGA 1600T psu     |      3x Samsung 980 Pro NVME 1tb Raid 0 

4 x Crucial MX500 2tb raid 0   |    Glass Hard Line Tubing  - EKWB Blocks 

You can get 2x240 rads in the 350D and it's small and light. It seems perfect for your needs. :) Have a watch of TTL's review:

If you can afford it , I suggest a 900D by corsair. It's a dream.

A 900D for someone who is only going to use 2 240MM Rads? Kinda seems... ridiculous  

He is also looking for a "... easily transportable case" The 900D in no way is a "Easy transportable case"

You should really read the OP's post carefully first before posting. 

probably the c 70

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Thank you for the response!  :)

I don't have hardware yet. but I already have the watercooling gear. 

2x 240 radiators, pump, res, 2x blocks (1 for cpu, 1 for gpu). I just saw the 350D and it seems perfect for my needs. It's small but it has no handles so I'm kind of torn here.

Handles are unnecessary for the most part, unless your rig is extremely heavy. The 350D seems like the ideal solution for you.

Thank you all for the replies! It has helped me come up with a decision. Well, not quite but I'm around 80% decided already. I will be going for the Corsair 350D! I just hope it arrives sooner here at the Philippines though. No retailer here carries even the fractal design define r4 and that has been available everywhere else. :( Another challenge will be having to find a decent mATX motherboard for Haswell. ROG Gene bords are kind of expensive or is it worth it to invest in such a board? Thanks Again guys, you've been very helpful :)

If you're going for water cooling I'd lean away from the "Commercial" stuff and lean towards something that can hold everything you're going to be throwing in it. Just to let you know I have a Stryker and it's absolutely fantastic. Only complaint is the Radiator space is smaller than other cases, I wish it could hold 360 Rads without modding the case (Which I will not do - this thing is too beautiful and well built to put it on the chopping block). If you want my honest opinion go for something like the Silverstone TJ-07. It's got a nice basement that you can fit you're water cooling components and rads in. I went with the Coolermaster Case because - well yes it looks very nice and is well built but at the end of the day the price is good. You get a great product for you're money. However if I had more money to spend on it at the time I would of went with something with a bit more Radiator space (Basement). 

Another thing to note - I haven't gotten all my water gear yet but the Stryker is quite heavy fully loaded (but without the water cooling gear in it yet) and even though it has a handle, This thing won't be goin' NO WHERE once the loop is filled and the build is complete. It would simply just be TOO HEAVY. So if you are planning on making something you can lug around to LAN parties or anywhere for that matter, moving it frequently would most likely require something lighter, not necessarily smaller but definitely lighter. Perhaps consider an mITX case/build if you want something mobile.

Best of luck.

-Josh

Wow that's pretty good point Josh. Thanks.

That's the thing I'm quite worried about if ever I got the 350D. it's small but it could become quite heavy with a full system and a dual 240 watercooling setup. I won't mind the weight though, I just wanted it to be carried EASILY. I've also read good things about the Stryker but it kind of confuses me why CM decided to put a handle on a full tower case. If you don't mind me asking, can I know the weight (in numbers of course :D ) of your Stryker with a full sytem even without the watercooling? Would be really helpful.  :)

Haha I don't actually have a weight scale in my bathroom and have no idea how i'd weigh it but I'll get back to you on the weight.

Cheers.

-Josh